Friday 24 May 2019

A polite reminder...

Every so often, over the years that I have written this blog, I have had to issue a warning.

No one is more aware than me of how good and bad social media can be. It is a powerful tool, but one that can be used in whatever way the user intends.

I set up this blog) in the hope of finding one or two people who held similar views  and support for Derbyshire. Its success has thrilled me, that it will pass two million views this summer astounds me. I have met so many great people and am grateful for that.

Part of its appeal, I think, is that people are free to express opinions, usually in a rant-free, respectful manner. Which is why it saddens me to have declined to publish two comments in the past week, the first ones in several years.

One, about a county player, was a disgrace. The other, about me, and from someone who really should know better, was disrespectful.

I have no issues with anyone who disagrees with my opinion. Were we all to think the same way it would be a very different world. I have printed numerous comments where I have been in a minority, and have no problem in doing so.  

But please bear in mind that IP addresses are logged behind the scenes and avoid personal comment and disrespect to others at all times.

Remember that this blog is read by players, officials, families, Derbyshire supporters and those of other counties.

It is fine to be critical when it is warranted, but not to be disrespectful. If you would not say it face to face, then you probably shouldn't write it either.

It saddens me to require to post this again, and I hope it is some time before I need to do so again.

Do please keep your comments coming, but be very aware of the above guidelines.

Thank you.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, over the past three years I, and others have become avid readers of your blog. I look for Derbyshire scores now before any others (even my native Yorkshire) and enjoy your what I think, considered opinion. The comments readers leave are also to the most point well thought out and make interesting reading.
    Leave the ugly and vulgar brigade to rant on other sites, sadly, there are plenty of them.
    Keep up the good work mate.
    DAve, Wirral..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing from the fact that my comment hasn't been posted and wasn't about a county player, that I'm the one who really should know better. I have to say that I'm a little baffled, as there was nothing that was meant as a comment about youit wasn't intended as a comment about you and I can't imagine what I wrote that you would have construed in that way. As for disrespectful, I can only think this refers to what was intended to be a light-hearted joke about what I saw as an uncharacteristic judgment about a player that wasn't backed up by the evidence. I won't resort to the usual apology of someone who thinks they've done nothing wrong of saying "I'm sorry if I caused offence" but please be assured that anything you took as personal and disrespectful wasn't intended in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct, notoveryet. I thought your comment came over as a rant, and you are better than that. Your comments are usually well thought out and written and this wasn't. There are plenty of comments that I disagree with, but as long as they are well made and not personal attacks, like the one I blocked from someone else, I don't usually mind.
    I love Billy as a player and man, my guess is he will play, but I also think opponents will open with spin against him, never his strong point. And if he doesn't open, then lower down won't work.
    Apology accepted, but just be aware that the written word can look very different to something said face to face and that happened here.
    Thank you for getting in touch to clarify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a different subject it seems to have gone under the radar that several of our young bowlers are injured at the moment this must be a concern as the pre season spin was all about relieing on our young bowlers this season

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim, Chesterfield24 May 2019 at 22:41

    Given you can decline any comment it doesn't really need to be said. You don't like it, it doesn't appear. That's all there is to it. People can comment how they like but you are the gatekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good work
    Most appreciated and always interesting to see people’s views
    Hopefully the need for moderation will cease

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always good to read the diverse opinions that are given on this blog, that is how it should be, but there is no need for disrespectful or personal comments, and I agree with your view that we should all think before posting 'would we say that comment if we were face to face with the intended recipient' if not DONT post it!! Steve please keep up the good work and hopefully you are getting back to full health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see Du Plooy is now back fully fit according to the website but is not in the squad for the game tomorrow. Is that just down to lack of cricket or is he not quite as fit as suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess they are giving him another week to be safe. But like I said before, there was no obvious person to drop and the most vulnerable did well against Glamorgan.
    But on talent he walks into this side, if fully fit

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!