Wednesday 8 May 2019

Final thoughts on the seconds - for now!

After all the excitement of yesterday, the second team fixture at Billericay ended up a damp and disappointing draw, with only a few balls bowled on the final day.

Derbyshire did well, as I documented yesterday and it served to highlight the wealth of talent playing within the county.

Take this coming Saturday, for example. Ticknall play Ockbrook and Borrowash and the talent on either side is impressive. Ockbrook's bowling, fitness permitting, will be led by Dustin Melton, the South African quick bowler on an ancestral visa, who has impressed in the second team, and Sam Conners. Meanwhile Tom Lace is a part of their batting strength, as will be Josh Lacey from the county academy.

As for Ticknall, their batting is opened by Paul Borrington and Tom Wood, with Wayne Madsen at three and Joss Morgan, Wayne's brother in law, at four.

I have heard nothing but good about Morgan, with several people whose judgement I trust telling me that he is one of the best young batsmen in the county. He was rated highly back in South Africa as a schoolboy, but has been resident in this country for a few years now.

His record last season was excellent and he has started in fine form this summer. My understanding is that he is very keen to play first class cricket and I hope that he has the opportunity to express his undoubted talent in the second team in the near future.

He and Tom Wood are both exciting talents on our doorstep and for me there is greater credibility in exploring the potential of such players first, before we perhaps trial those who have not made it at other counties. There will always be that 'diamond in the rough' elsewhere, but it would be galling if a talent within the county boundaries were to be picked up by someone else.

The second team's results this season have been excellent, though results are not really crucial at that level. More important is the offering of opportunity to players who may, or may not take it.

I don't think that Tom Wood has anything more to prove at Derbyshire. He has scored heavily for years in a strong Premier League, done the same in the second team over three summers and gone off to Australia each winter and been outstanding.

I hope that discussions will be taking place over a contract for next year, when he will be a logical insertion into the batting order when Tom Lace returns down south. He has met every challenge thrown at him head on and I am sure that he would make runs at first-class level. Again, that is an opinion I share with people whose judgement I trust.

If there is any justice in this world, that opportunity will not be too long in coming.

2 comments:

  1. Good appraisal PF . Couldn’t agree more with all the points. I’ve been a critic of Smit in the past. Mainly because of his blocking of Harvey’s development. However, I would also say he is the best glove man I’ve seen at Derby since Bob Taylor. What he’s done with this team of kids and trialists is nothing short of amazing. Against some very strong opponents. I would be happy to keep him on the management team. I’ve also mentioned many times about giving our young home growns a proper pathway . I think DH is on the same page if we can believe his comments. We now appear to have a proper coaching structure that we have needed for a long time.
    Chaddesden Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, I have not published your attack on a Derbyshire player, as it was uncalled for and disrespectful of what he does for our club. Such comments do you no favour as a 'supporter' and I will not allow this site to be dragged, down by such nonsense.
    You should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!