Tuesday 18 July 2017

Worcestershire v Derbyshire T20

It is good to see Tom Wood in the Derbyshire squad for tomorrow's game at Worcester, which is live on Sky from 5.30pm.

Wood, now recovered from injury, played two good knocks for the second team in recent days and for me will get a place in a team that has so far struggled for starts in the competition.

If we are to be bold, I would like to see Tom open, or go in at first drop. Luis Reece then affords a left/right combo at the top of the innings and I would like to see the following side tomorrow:

Critchley
Reece
Wood
Madsen
Wilson
Hughes
Smit
Henry
Viljoen
Tahir
Qadri/Cotton

Billy Godleman and Callum Brodrick are also in the squad, but we need to take steps to offer a better start to the innings. Of course there is a danger, in two attacking players in the top three, of having wickets down quickly. Yet so far we have been wickets down and few runs on the board.

No matter how good the attack, we will win few matches from 30-1 after the Powerplay. Critchley and Wood offer the possibility of doubling that, a launch pad for a win more often than not.

Matt Henry will want to rediscover his best form against the side he played for in this competition last year and Derbyshire need him performing at international standard against a side that has some fine cricketers.

Their squad contains some dangerous cricketers, although Josh Tongue and Adam Finch are on England under-19 duty. With our old boy Ross Whiteley a danger man in the middle order, we will have to hope that our overseas seam and spin combo is better than theirs, John Hastings and Mitchell Santner.

There is enough in our side to win and I expect us to do so, but only if the whole attack bowls well. I expect Ben Cotton to get the nod for the final place, but much will depend on the look of the wicket and we must bat and bowl better than we did at Old Trafford.

If not, we will go into Friday's game in dire danger of a firework start turning into a damp squib.

Yet, in a competition of 14 games, there is a long way to go and a talented home side have still to win, illustrating the strength of the group.

Here's hoping I can still write that tomorrow...

2 comments:

1. Derbyshire win and that same team from me Peakfan, except Qadri for Cotton.

ReplyDelete
  2. Like you Peakfan, I am glad to see Tom Wood in the squad. The lad is an aggressive batsman who can give the ball a fearful smack.
    The only difference in my team would be Godleman or Brodrick in place of Qadri or Cotton. If we want to be bold, go with young Brodrick, or have Billy lower in the order for his experience.Following on from the Lancashire defeat I can't see us going in with both Wood and Brodrick.
    As for the bowling, I would think we have enough options with Viljoen, Madsen, Henry, Hughes, Tahir, Reece and Critchley.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!