Saturday 15 July 2017

Lancashire v Derbyshire T20 preview

It is, I think, a sign of how Derbyshire has progressed that I don't look at tomorrow's game against Lancashire at Old Trafford and fear a hammering.

It could happen, of course, if we don't play with the same focus that was a highlight of our two straight wins so far. Any side with Joss Buttler in it can take a game away from you quickly, while the likes of Karl Brown, Liam Livingstone and a few others are very good players.

Yet you look through our squad and see the same. Any of their supporters, looking at the squad announced today, will see Wayne Madsen, Gary Wilson, Matt Henry, Hardus Viljoen, Imran Tahir and a few more, then think 'we've got a game on here'.

I watched the Roses match the other night and it was a fair game, but I saw nothing to worry me ahead of tomorrow. What I did see, and I am sure the Derbyshire players saw, was a slow wicket that will probably be replicated. The slow bowlers and those who took the pace off the ball reaped dividends and from a named Derbyshire fifteen, I expect to see the following side take the field.

Critchley
Slater
Reece
Madsen
Wilson
Hughes
Henry
Smit
Viljoen
Qadri
Tahir

While the risk of a young spinner getting slogged in this format is high, I watched Hamidullah Qadri bowl at Belper last week and was hugely impressed. He has astonishing command of line and length for his age, and while he will be picked on a 'horses for courses' basis, I suspect that this is one of those courses. Meanwhile I think Ben Slater's runs at Belper will see him retain his place, ahead of Billy Godleman, while Matt Critchley will get a chance to see his side off to a faster start than we have managed so far.

With four seamers and four spinners at his disposal, Gary Wilson won't lack options in the field and his task, somewhat obviously, will be to have them on at the right end at the right time.

Lancashire has announced an unchanged squad from their tied match against Yorkshire and I suspect the side will be the same. So expect them to line up:

Brown, Livingstone, Buttler, Vilas, McLaren, Croft, Lilley, Clark, Parry, Bailey, Junaid

It will be tough, with a hostile, partisan atmosphere that will test the faint-hearted. Yet I suspect that there's a tougher core to this Derbyshire side and we won't be easily intimidated.

I'll stick my neck out and predict a win, to keep the good times rolling.

More from me tomorrow.

And do let me know your thoughts in between times.

5 comments:

  1. Tim, Chesterfield15 July 2017 at 23:20

    I'd rather be there than at the test match in Nottingham where I'll be instead.

    I predict a relatively comfortable defeat as I can see our lack of batting firepower being exposed on a slow wicket. Hope to be wrong of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 3 spinners in the side already, I'm not convinced that Qadri will add much overall. His batting won't contribute much, his fielding is ordinary at the moment, and his bowling is untested at this level. Impressive as his bowling has been, he's very rarely been put under pressure, and when he was against Durham in the second innings, his control wavered. I don't think this is a risk we need to take in this match against the destructive likes of Buttler and Livingstone.

    If he does play, it would be Slater rather than Godleman who would miss out for me. Slater was the cause of the slow start at Chesterfield, using up 11 balls for 2 runs, and forcing Godleman to try to pick up the pace and getting out for 5 off his third ball. Godleman also fielded well and took a very good catch, where Slater made several mistakes. I didn't see his second team innings that impressed you, but note that he was out cheaply in the other game, and I'm afraid this reflects the curate's egg nature of his cricket this season. I know you and others here don't rate Godleman in T20, but one decent seconds' performance isn't strong evidence for Slater displacing someone who hasn't done much wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see Critchley bowling much here. While his batting has progressed enough to be a genuine threat as an opener here, some of his bowling at Belper..and elsewhere looking at figures..has been too short and hit accordingly.
      Qadri is a gamble. But then isnt the selection of any young player? Tahir and Madsen may be enough, but they will judge the wicket today and see.

      Delete
  3. I also watched the roses game and Lancs didn't half get bogged down when Yorkshire's spinners came into play. Maybe a good option would be for us to open the bowling with Tahir and Qadri, then use Critchley and Madsen straight after. Viljoen and Hughes will get punished by Lancs big hitters, so it's spin all the way today for me. Good luck lads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe in changing a winning formula. I agree the wicket looked slow at Old Tafford but we don't need to gamble at this point. The only big reservation I have with this team is bowling 8 overs from less bowlers. So far Madsen done brilliantl but don't expect that in all 14 matches and then you saying Critchley bowling not up to it. This makes me wonder will we see Reece come in and mix with Hughes and Madsen to get the 8. Your suggestion would ease that with Quadri prehaps 4 or 6 overs left Mdsen, Reece and Hughes but weakens already not strong batting order. It looks like 170 could be a par score. The competition has such a long way to go but this is a big week with games coming thick and fast.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!