Friday 14 August 2015

Weekend warmer

I thought I would check back in to say hello and give you my thoughts on an albeit quiet cricket week, one in which I have done another lot of long shifts to clear my weekend for some writing and relaxation.

I have been on social media and thanks to those who have re-tweeted the information on the Edwin Smith book launch at Chesterfield. I do hope a few people will manage along to that, at Chesterfield Library Theatre on Tuesday 25 August, 7.30pm. Edwin is well worth listening to and I shall be interviewing him, before there is an opportunity for audience members to ask questions of the two of us, then a chance to buy the book and get it signed.

As you may have seen on the club website, your first chance to buy a copy will be at 1.30pm on Sunday 23 August, when Edwin and I will both be happy to append signatures, should you wish. This will be during the lunch interval of the game against Surrey. This is a signing session only.

The book, published by the Association of Cricket Statisticians and Historians, costs £14.

Other events are planned and I will let you know about them in due course. If you are interested in hosting one, please get in touch. I will be down between September 22 and 26 and only have a commitment on the evening of the 23rd at this stage.

On the field, it has been a quiet time. With T20 quarter-finals going on, the cricketers of ten counties have had little to do but wish they were involved. Derbyshire could so easily have been, but for making a mess of the closing overs a few times. There are very small margins involved in success and failure in the format and with prudent winter recruitment we can be on the right end more often in the future.

I was interested to see that Hampshire had recruited South African all-rounder Ryan McLaren for the last month of the summer, in an attempt to avoid relegation. McLaren is a good player and one that came to my mind  when thinking of players from that country who may be prepared to 'go Kolpak'. I don't see his international opportunities as being good, but he would be a good acquisition should he decide to move back here, where he made his reputation with Kent, of course.

I am looking forward to the T20 series between South Africa and New Zealand, two teams I see as among the best at the format. Neither are at full strength, but there is enough talent on display to make this compelling viewing.

All things being equal, I will be back over the weekend with news of our team for Monday's crucial RLODC match against Durham. Keep your fingers crossed that Wes is fit and that Tillakaratne Dilshan has, somewhat akin to Austin Powers, found his mojo...

Be honest, you never expected to see those two names in the same sentence, did you?

Later  - and to book your tickets for Edwin Smith at Chesterfield, call 01629 533400. Tickets £3 and £2 (concessions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!