Friday 23 July 2010

Final words on 606

I promise that this will be my last comment on 606 for the time being because it's getting boring, but when I'm name-checked by someone I guess I need to reply.

"Not over yet" on the site expresses disappointment in our lack of progress under John Morris and then says:

"Even the determinedly glass half full Peakfan (by the way, it was "Who can.." not "Who will...") was reduced to playing at picking next year's team, a sure sign that hope and optimism is draining even from the most persistent optimists, and particularly when there were 3 asterisks, revealing gaps that we know we can't fill."

Hmm…we're getting into pedantics here, over my calling his piece "Who will replace John Morris" instead of "Who can replace John Morris?" Since we are, I'd point out that there were two crosses…

I've said before that I am unashamedly positive about Derbyshire cricket and life, but still think there's reason to be, ground I've already covered. Looking at other posts, plenty of other people are too. I simply inserted an idea of next year's side to highlight a point that more rebuilding will be necessary, rather than as an indicator of withering optimism.

To say those "asterisks" revealed "gaps we know we can't fill" is incorrect too. They simply highlight places where we need to bring in players. They may be filled by Footitt, or Sheikh or one of a number of players who will be available in the close season. If one assumes that Rogers, Peterson and Wagg won't be back, presumably there would be money in the playing budget. Unless we pay off John Morris as some suggest of course, as you can't have it both ways.

On the face of the T20 fixtures between the two sides, there wasn't much between Derbyshire and Warwickshire, yet Ashley Giles is today talking about spending big to bring in some "names" this winter. The Birmingham side look certainties to be relegated in the Championship after a nightmare season, so it remains to be seen how many players can be persuaded to play at a lower level, even by an England selector. I'm sure John Morris would welcome such luxury though...

There was an excellent point made by King Sinbad on IMWT about Graham Wagg, in which he highlighted the player's statistics. A batting average of 25 and bowling one of 31 in four day cricket and respective ones of 15 and 32 in limited overs games isn't an argument for breaking the bank. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Wagg and would like him to stay at Derby, but those statistics don't back up a claim for a big pay rise. King Sinbad mentions a figure of £100K, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Either way, there's only so far that a relatively small cricket budget will go. As fans, we have to accept that players will move on at some point once those counties with the bigger budgets make overtures to them. Thus our side will always be in evolution, which is why I think calls to bring in someone else are pointless.

I can't think of anyone who could come in and sign big name players with money we haven't got, while retaining the better ones that we have on massive contracts we cannot afford. Nor could I see anyone who over one winter will turn Borrington, Redfern and Hughes into players who will score well over a thousand runs, or make Footitt and Sheikh the new Larwood and Voce.

A lot of people within cricket regard David Houghton as an excellent coach, especially of batsmen, yet few were happy with his tenure at Derbyshire. I've heard several names that notionally might come in and some would be popular with the fans. Yet none of them would make change or progress a cast-iron certainty.

If you can name someone who will, I'll join the campaign straight away.

But not until.

3 comments:

  1. I think a few have us have been guilty of looking towards next season rather early. It was that really poor run of games we had in the CC2 before the T20 break that did it for me.

    Of course, we stil have a little way to go in 2010, but there are some positives to take into the new term, so we shouldn't get too morose.

    For what it's worth, my current list of those who have either performed well or have shown shown clear signs of 'making it' are listed below:

    Madsen, Smith, Hughes, Durston, Park, Smith, Groenewald, Footitt, Sheikh, Jones plus Clare (from past campaigns)

    Plus those likely to be leaving without being pushed:

    Rogers, Peterson and Wagg

    There are then those with unconfirmed promise (for want of a better term):

    Borrington, Redfern and Poynton

    Finally, those, who's future looks questionable:

    Sadler, Goddard, Hunter, Lungley, Needham


    I suspect probably around six will leave overall.

    It is going to be tricky covering some key vacancies, which I would have thought may include one senior batsmen, an experienced spinner and seamer and, maybe, a batsman/keeper.

    Morris's search could be a tough one, assuming he is not earmarked to become a casulty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.
    Needham won't go as he's contracted to the end of 2012 and he is our only spin hope for the future at present. Goddard has not scored the expected runs, but I still think he's a decent medium term bet unless there's another option becomes available.
    Otherwise some fair comments and it will be interesting to see what happens. Hunter is also contracted for next year though, so unless there's an arrangement struck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record, when I hinted I thought six would go, I too anticipate (and favour) that both Needham and Goddard stay. My six to go, albeit a tad premature, would be:

    Rogers, Peterson, Wagg, Sadler, Hunter and Lungley.


    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!