Thursday 3 June 2010

Yorkshire v Derbyshire T20

Anybody remember last week, when we were rubbish?

At least that was the opinion of most fans, yet in two successive nights we have played brilliant, yes brilliant T20 cricket and easily beaten Leicestershire and Yorkshire.

I was pleased last night after a disciplined bowling performance - but tonight....

Loots Bosman. Can you ask for more from a first couple of performances? Last night I bemoaned a slow start that may have cost us - tonight, we had 50 on the board in five, a hundred in ten, 150 in 15. Excellent batting. Bosman and Hughes, after the early dismissal of Chris Rogers (nearly called him "the skipper" there...) took Yorkshire apart with a stand of 141 in less than 12 overs. Astonishing stuff, including ten sixes, from the pair of them, the T20 master and apprentice. Bosman won't do this every time, as I wrote when we signed him, but I wish I'd been there tonight and there'll be a few calls for tickets at the County Ground tomorrow.

To finish things off there was a nice cameo from Greg Smith, revelling in this captaincy lark, while John Sadler went berserk in the last couple of overs, with 31 from just 12 balls. I loved the Yorkshire Radio commentator's "they'll not hit this bloke" (about Clint McKay), just before Sads hit him for two sixes...

There were early alarms when Jacques Rudolph threatened to take us apart, but the advent of Wes Durston (sign 'im up John!) got him, and Durston bowled a beautifully controlled spell after getting a nasty hit in the throat in his brief innings. So too did Robin Peterson, while Greg Smith is backing himself as a death bowler and doing the business.

Praise too for Garry Park, a handy man to bat down the order who took the crucial wicket of Anthony McGrath and, like the rest of the side, fielded brilliantly. Groenewald and Jones were a little more expensive tonight, but this was a fine night. Derbyshire outplayed a good Yorkshire side and we've not done that too many times.

Finally tonight, praise for John Morris. I don't know how he and his staff have done it, but we've gone from no-hopers to table-toppers in less than a week. I hope we get a top crowd next week and we can reproduce that form in front of the cameras.

Bring it on!
PS Quote of the night tonight was from Tino Best, in the midst of what was actually very fair and decent commentary from Yorkshire Radio. "It's not that big a score," he said as we passed 200 and set a new club record for T20...
I said we'd do that last week. Maybe we'll do it again sometime soon...

1 comment:

1. A great performance. As Derbyshire fans, we know better than to get carried away, don't we - but even so, such a comprehensive mauling of Yorkshire has to be a cause of great pleasure.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!