Wednesday 9 June 2010

Derbyshire v Warwickshire T20

No complaints from me tonight.

I thought Derbyshire did very well in tonight's match on a very tricky pitch and were essentially beaten by one batsman of the highest class. Had Ian Bell been unavailable, I have no doubts that we would have won that game. If Charl Langeveldt had been able to make it from South Africa in time I think it would also have made a difference.

That we took it to the last over while defending 120 showed character and guts, things not always associated with Derbyshire over the years. I thought Chesney looked a player of rich potential but also showed his naivety by trying to carve everything, rather than nudge a few here and there.

I was impressed by Smith, Durston and Peterson with the bat, the latter's switch hit six over mid wicket (or was it extra cover?) one of the most extraordinary shots I've seen from a Derbyshire player. Smith's captaincy and bowling also impressed, though I thought he bowled Park an over too many and left Groenewald one short.

All in all though, one of the more satisfying losses. I could see, perhaps for the first time in a televised T20 match, how we had been working at the game. Bosman was unlucky to get a ball like that first ball, as it was low and on the stumps, a fatal combination, but again we fought hard to address the early loss of Bosman and Rogers to eventually run them very close.

Similar spirit, hopefully with Langeveldt on board, will do very nicely against Nottinghamshire at the weekend.

Hopefully at the end of it they'll know they have been in a game. Anything more will be in the lap of the gods...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!