Monday 9 November 2009

Back in bonny Scotland

Evening all and after a brief sojourn south of the border (but not down Mexico way) I'm back in the arms of my family and glad to be back. Even more so, they're pleased to see me too!

Anyway, there's nowt happening on the cricket front, though we should hear this week the fixtures for 2010, which will be eagerly anticipated.

Both 606 and IMWT are choc-full of comments on potential targets, but I've been over the McGrath/Taylor ground and haven't changed my stance on either of them. I cannot see any circumstance in which we would see them at the County Ground next year. John Morris has a decent, improving and competitive squad together and I cannot see any major changes. I still think he will bring in a spinner from somewhere, but just who is something I cannot get a handle on. Middlebrook may be an option, but I don't see Jason Brown as an improvement to the squad at all.

Other than that, maybe another young seamer, if he could find one, but then the chase will probably switch to the Twenty/20 second overseas star. If there is any money in the coffers he'll want to improve our fortunes in the cricket cash cow and fill some seats if at all possible. In short, anyone expecting major changes will be disappointed - and rightly so.

Matthew Hoggard has now signed for Leicestershire and he'll have a lot to do, in my humble opinion, to justify the bandied around £100K salary. He'll certainly need to play in more than just the Championship and while he will undoubtedly improve the Foxes attack, their fans will be hoping he stays fit and shows early form.

Not much else to write tonight, I'm afraid. Hopefully more (including confirmation of Steffan Jones signing) later this week. Maybe even tomorrow...

5 comments:

  1. I hope you are not doing a Simon Cowell on us Peakfan. 'No, I don't think Jason Brown will improve the squad', 'Morris can do better', 'No really, we should look for someone else' and then, quick as a flash, switch and endorse the bloke as a great signing! I jest.

    I place it on record: I do not watch that X rated rubbish - my wife unfortunately does.......

    Brown 4 years ago might have been a good choice, but will Morris be tempted? Middlebrook, on the other hand, has never really been a regular match winner, but offers a bit of this and that. He is useful.

    There are very few UK options left now though, assuming Morris wishes to recruit. Maybe a spin heavy county such as Surrey or Sussex could spare us someone - I think not.

    Still see mileage in Shafayat? I just wonder - news on Thursday?


    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peakfan, rumours are that should Panesar joins Sussex then Northants will replace him with Middlebrook. The season ticket prices are released on Thursday at Derbyshire so surely they will announce a signing or two to persuade people to part with their hard earned cash and buy the season tickets.
    DCCCFOREVER

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Simon Cowell? Maybe more Alesha Dixon "Wicked".
    Seriously, if JM signed Brown I'd be more surprised than if he brought back Venkat, or Geoff Miller. Brown just isn't a Morris type of player and only offers very ordinary bowling.
    Don't see Shafayat as an option now either with the legislation. Word is he's looking for big money and I don't think he's worth it.
    Keep well

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Middlebrook situation is not quite as clear as reported in some quarters. There has been an indication that perhaps he is not off to Northants from a source tied in with the club.

    I have also noted reports to suggest Oliver Newby has not signed up for Lancs - remember he was out on loan a few months ago.

    We might be a bit heavy on seamers now, but I would have preferred to see at least one younger face in for either Lungley or Hunter. Both are at the wrong end of the age range for ECB benefits and are unlikely to improve their games at this stage in their careers. Maybe a Footitt or a Newby would have offered more scope with team composition, as both are still under 25 at present and have time to still develop their games.

    Probably all academic now.

    MASTERVILLAIN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Newby would be a decent call and another under 26 - though only for one year. DCCF - maybe you're right, but JM knows signings take a long while. If I lived closer I'd renew immediately as I'm a fan and think we are on the up. More later.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!