Saturday 31 May 2008

The problem with BBC 606...

Is that they have a strange perception of what is acceptable.

Like a good few others this week I took exception to some character on the Worcestershire board referring to Derbyshire as being "second rate".

After a fair few fans followed my reply (and thanks for the support guys), another user pitched in and referred to Graham Wagg as a "drug cheat" last night.

Now we all know the circumstances of Waggy's ban from cricket, how he got in with the wrong crowd in Birmingham and then decided to have a complete break and move to Derbyshire. We also know that he was caught having used - one time only - a recreational drug that was still in his bloodstream from the previous evening. Note that, a recreational drug, not a performance-enhancing one.

So for him to be labelled a drug "cheat" is unfair and inaccurate. I suggested to the chap concerned, via the forum, that he should withdraw the comment or I would lodge a complaint.
This morning I got up, checked the board and his comment is still there. Mine, citing my concern over the comment, has been withdrawn and I subsequently got an e mail from the administrator.

Why should this comment stay active? Waggy made a mistake and paid for it. We don't refer to people as "former school bully" or "erstwhile bed-wetter". Fair enough, "ex-serial killer" is probably justified, but I don't think that it is acceptable for a comment like this to be on a national website about a bloke who made a solitary mistake on a night out.

If you agree with me, why not pay a visit and lodge your own comment? I now know why Derbyshire La La La started his own (excellent) fans board. Comments, good natured banter and the like are part and parcel of being a fan (and a penalty of being a player I suppose). This sort of comment is, however, a step too far and the BBC should get their act in order.

1 comment:

  1. I agree-free speech is one thing;insulting comments quite another.
    I find The General quite nauseating.My suggestion-we could invite him to Chesterfield for the Worces game;discuss our differing views before deciding we are right and finish the day by chucking him in the duck pond !!!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!