Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Northamptonshire v Derbyshire day 2

Derbyshire 372 

Northampton shire 310 (Vasconcelos 58, Procter 54, McManus 53, Zaib 46, Randell 3-48, Potts 3-51, Reece 2-48)

Derbyshire lead by 62 runs

Apologies for the late blog tonight, but this has been family night and only now have I time to add a few thoughts on the day's play. 

I thought Derbyshire fought back well, after the home side had got themselves to 187-2 in reply to Derbyshire's 372. Vasconcelos, Procter and Zaib all batted well, but thankfully all got out before going on to a match-definimg score. The introduction of Nick Potts made a difference and his figures of 3-51 turned the game, after he came in as an injury substitute for Ben Aitchison, whose stellar season would appear to be finished.

Once again Brett Randell was excellent  and his 3-48 contrasted with the 0-62 of Muhammad Abbas. Their respective figures for the summer are interesting:

Randell has 17 wickets at 18, with a wicket every 41 balls 

Abbas has 11 wickets at 46 with a wicket every 105 balls

I know which one I would prefer for 2028...

It was good to see Luis Reece back bowling and his two wickets today were twice as many as he previously had all season. He has been missed and we must hope he is restored to full fitness next year.

As for the match, Derbyshire took a first innings lead of 62 and we must hope tomorrow doesn't see one of the anaemic batting displays that have tarnished the summer. With Kent almost certain to beat Lancashire, Northamptonshire have to chase whatever we set them in the final innings.

Derbyshire will hope that target is over 300, but tomorrow is a big day for both sides. 

It has been an absorbing contest so far..

8 comments:

  1. VERY worried about Ben Aitchison. The one player who I always felt confident in,hope he's for for the Worcestershire game.Ethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that, Ethan. Be silly to risk further damage in the last game, especially with nothing riding on it

      Delete
    2. You aren’t allowed to play in the next game if you’ve been substituted anyway

      Delete
    3. How come Abbas' figures are SO much better for Pakistan than for Derbyshire? In the same season. All on English pitches. It can't just be effort. And I know Derbyshire pitches are not exactly a bowler's paradise but he's also faced substantially weaker batting. It can't just be effort.

      Delete
  2. An absorbing contest to be sure. We did well yesterday. If I was being mischievous I would say the feverish lbw trigger fingers of the Umpires evidenced in the morning of day 1 was less in evidence. Hopefully continues today.. Could not agree more re Mr Randell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the current score 65-4 in Derbyshire second innings this game has swung dramatically in the last 2.5 hours of play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In defence of Abbas, he bowled extremely well, virtually unplayable at times. On another day he would have picked up 3 or 4 wickets. Contrast that with Potts who got two wickets with balls that should have ended up in the stands. As mentioned, Randell looks a class act and maybe the money spent on Brown could have been used to retain his services next season. Grant from Telford

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!