You can get a copy of this in ebook form, by going on to Google Play and searching for either Steve Dolman or Edwin Smith under 'books'. It costs £5.
Alternately, I have come across one spare copy of the book in hard copy and pristine, which I can sell for £10 plus postage. This will be very much first come, first served.
To my great amusement, you can buy the same book on Amazon - their last one - for £167.27. Hmm...
If interested, please drop an email to peakfan36@yahoo.co.uk
PS On Google Play you can also download my post-war history of the club, 'In Their Own Words' for £9.99. Sadly, I don't see the royalties now, but such is life.
Amazon are also selling it on a promotion in hard copy for the same price.
Postscript: the book is now sold!
Edwin Smith is a cricketer about whom I know very little. I think the first year that I started following Derbyshire was 1973, whereas he retired in 1971.
ReplyDeleteReading your blog piqued my interest to find out a little about him.
His figures are incredible! He played 503 first-class games, taking 1,217 wickets at an average of 25.84.
What is even more amazing, though, is that he never played a single Test match.
I don’t have a very good knowledge of the club prior to 1973, and I know that opinions on who is Derbyshire's best-ever spinner are subjective. But I wonder if there is another player who would rival him as the club’s best.
Dre.
Re Derbyshire's best spinner, Edwin Smit would certainly be up there in my opinion. Probably rivalled and surpassed by Tommy Mitchell (Derbyshire 1928-1939 with 5 tests also). 328 matches and 1,483 wickets at an average of 20.59. Of course I suspect that none of the correspondents to this are likely to have seen him play.
ReplyDeleteWhat are your views Steve?
Perhaps his only rival is Tommy Mitchell (Derbyshire 1928-1939 with 5 tests also). 328 matches, 1483 wickets at an average of 20.59. None of us will have seen him play but he was quite a charachter and not the easiest of
ReplyDeleteThe 4 best are Tommy, mercurial but brilliant, Edwin, who was very steady, Les Townsend, who was also a very punishing bat and Geoff Miller, who of course played often for England.
ReplyDeleteI didn't see Les and Tommy but they were both worthy of greater recognition than came their way. And Tommy was likely too feisty to have played under anything but a strong skipper!
Always said there's a good book in him, but my location and the time to do the research are against me...