Friday, 24 July 2026

Worcestershire v Derbyshire Metro Bank One Day Cup

Derbyshire 138 (Andersson 51, Guest 38, Singh 6-32, Swanepoel 3-15)

Worcestershire 143-7 (Roderick 39*, Potts 3-30, Aitchison 2-40)

Worcestershire won by three wickets

There is always a temptation, after a bad defeat, to claim that the performance was 'as bad as I have seen from Derbyshire'. 

The problem with supporting the club is that such performances come along too frequently for comfort and in my humble opinion, based on watching for sixty summers, today was unacceptably poor. 

I can excuse Martin Andersson and Brooke Guest, but this was a display that at times was barely of first class standard. To lose eight wickets for 28 runs in just over ten overs is hugely disappointing and to be bowled out with thirteen overs unused is dreadful game management. Fateh Singh is a talented slow left arm spinner, but the Derbyshire batting today made him look like Bishan Bedi - and he isn't. 

It wasn't an easy pitch and 175 would likely have won it. Batting out the innings wasn't exactly rocket science and it is this tactical naivety that is so frustrating, wickets given away like wedding favours.

We are constantly being told by Mickey Arthur that the players are 'getting better and better' and they are 'smashing' their targets. I am curious as to what they might be, because there is simply no evidence of his bullish assertions in the white ball game. 

Without Nye Donald and Matt Montgomery, this looks a poor batting side. I have written before that neither Anuj Dal nor Ross Whiteley would be in my plans for next year and both dismissals today were poor. Stumped first ball, then run out on a risky run, with the team in trouble, is not a good look.

With no overseas players, it is an average side playing with little confidence. My assertion that we wouldn't win this game was based on knowing this. Having said that, our technically available, but not contracted for the format overseas player has been in poor form anyway, so pining for his absence is not going to wash as an excuse.

I don't know where they go from here. Mickey Arthur is contracted for two more seasons and the chances of silverware in that time, right now, look as close as mine of winning Olympic gold and the Eurovision Song Contest in the same year. 

Right now I don't see a direction at the club. And the prospect of two more summers of this is not going to cause lengthy queues for match tickets and membership renewals. A Northamptonshire side not dissimilar in resource won the Vitality Blast this year, but you can see their game plans, their strategies, on the field and in recruitment. I can't see that with our club, try as I might.

For me, major surgery is needed, a different voice in the ears may be beneficial and this standard cannot be allowed to become the norm. 

The bowlers took it closer than it should have been, Potts and Aitchison leading the way and Guest excellent behind the stumps. 

But you don't win matches batting as we have in this competition so far. And I can't find the positivity to suggest that a change is gonna come, any time soon.

Over to you...

39 comments:

  1. Surely Mickey Arthur's position has become untenable. If he says he loves the club, he has to do the decent thing and resign. It cannot go on like this. Most Derbyshire supporters are used to failure but after 5 years enough is enough.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. The contract extension for Arthur was utter madness Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreadful batting. The team is a batter short & the batters include a teenager who doesn’t look ready & most of the rest look low on confidence. Madsen’s dismissal was shocking, with his experience you would expect him to assess the situation & conclude that a winning score would be around 200 & bat accordingly.
    I thought we might do well in this, 2 games gone & we are effectively out.

    MarkB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malbar. Derbyshire supporters have the patience of Job I sometimes think some of the players don't care enough. I bec ame a member initially in 1971 we finished 17 th in first 2 years we no doubt would have finished 18th if there were 18 teams then !Our supporters are incredibly supportive and tolerant . WE do t look like coming close this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malbar Derbyshire supporters are remarkably tolerant ! We are destined for another disappointing g year. I first became a member in 1971 .we finished 17th for first 2 years. The o nly reason we fi nished that high was
    R because Durham were not first class ! I have been to all finals notthat there have been many ! I recently bought 1937 wisden to remind me of happier days!its like a love affair with a reluctant partner but I can never support anyone e else
    THE ACCOUNTANT in me is pleased at our profitability

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bowling was hopeless last year in this competition whilst the batting was good.
    Clearly the opposite is true this time around.
    Year in, year out we are treated to inadequate performances, usually from players capable of much better.
    It's just not good enough and yet those in charge brush it under the carpet with a huge degree of unwarranted self satisfaction.
    Meanwhile another competition goes the way of all the others.
    Not much left to look forward to this season and probably not next either unless the club gets taken over by dynamic owners.
    I'll dream of that prospect until next April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a team which usually includes multiple all-rounders and bits and pieces players we are sadly lacking in genuine all-rounders. Maybe only Anuj Dal currently qualifies and his batting has not been great this season.
    Team is missing Chappell and Welch, or the period in time when they could bat and bowl in this.
    I do not think any of Dal, Madsen or Whitely will want to see replays of their dismissals.
    Potts and Aitchison coming at 8 and 9 is a bit high especially when they are coming in with 15+ overs left to bat out.

    On the plus side today I thought Derbyshire kept at it pretty well in the field with both Aitchison and Potts bowling well, the home fans were getting a bit rattled towards the end as they threatened to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. At one point the DLS was the same as what Worcs had scored.

    It should not be forgotten that Worcs won this last year.
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a good side, Martin. Having only lost one player to the other competition, they will be there or thereabouts this year as well.

      Delete
    2. Three: Hose, Brookes and Finch

      Delete
    3. Then 2. Brookes is injured and was replaced by Matthew Montgomery. Didn't see that Finch had been called up tbh

      Delete
  8. Incredibly poor. There seems to be no accountability at the club. Whatever happens M.A knows he's got another 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have to get rid of Mickey Arthur. His priorities seem to lie elsewhere. He says the team are giving 110%, which is impossible. Unfortunately, at the moment, the side seem to be more scared of losing than having the desire to win. If MA is as unpleasant to the players as he is to supporters, then I don't find that attitude surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew I would miss the start of the game today as I had a dental appointment, but when I came out of the dentist I checked the score and Martin Andersson and Brooke Guest seemed set, so imagine my surprise when I got home (not a long journey) to see that we were nine down. I suppose nothing should shock me when it comes to Derbyshire now, but I suspect that the trip to the dentist was preferable to watching that batting display (Martin and Brooke excepted). To not bat out fifty overs is inexcusable. On paper a three wicket defeat might not look too bad, but it was nowhere near as close a game as that suggests. I didn’t have high hopes for the One Day Cup but I wasn’t expecting it to be so lacklustre a campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ian from Suffolk24 July 2026 at 20:40

    A absolutely brilliant summary not just of the match today but the whole club in general peakfan.we don’t really look like a first class county in most white ball matches. The club seems in huge need of a major shake up. Mickey Arthur saying the players are getting better and smashing their targets is insulting to supporters and makes him sound like a complete idiot. It’s also a insult to supporters to rest Jewell for this competition unless he insisted he didn’t want to play in it or has family matters to attend to. Living in Suffolk I was going to Chelmsford Sunday but can’t bring myself to spend any money to support a club which is in such a mess

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have actually won 3 out of our last 4 red ball games, but because it's so long ago, nobody remembers. I always dread August as we have usually picked up a few injuries and momentum fades, with the powers that be saving players for a red ball push, that still remains unlikely. We are in no mans land until he Championship returns,really. Much like last year...Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. I doubt the Derbyshire Committee will take the financial pain to terminate MA'S contract at the end of this season. What are the alternatives with the team and coach? The cupboard is bare, apart from trying more youngsters, which seems to be against MA's nature. Been watching the County since 1968, but today was bottom of the barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chesterfield Blue24 July 2026 at 21:07

    It's officially the time for MA to step aside and let someone with a clue to take control of this sorry side. I will say it now, we're not going to win a single game in this trophy and that would be inexcusable. MA out now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Matt, Helensburgh24 July 2026 at 21:22

    As you mentioned Steve, the Northants bit is what really gets me - you can be outside the international cricket group but still pack a real punch (and with a high profile coach but one who understands how to get the best out of players who mostly aren’t international class).

    Sussex too fielded a very young team a few years ago and then the crop matured with experience - that comes with a big risk but we’re Derbyshire fans, we do it for the love not the glory, and seeing kids coming through is one of the things that we can really get behind….or rather we would if it happened more often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe it was Morgan and Duckett who gave MA an extension to his contract. What the hell was their reasoning for it ? Morgan has departed so the blame lies with Duckett. I would like to express my personal distain for Duckett and Arthur and the abysmal performances we are currently witnessing. And have been for some time now !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In two Metro games, only Andersson and Guest have made substantial scores. Everyone else, including Madsen and Whiteley, have looked poor. Our bowling unit performed well, but they were on a hiding to nothing.

    Mickey talks up the players and says how they are so skilled, but, all too often, it doesn't translate to games. I've been a fan of Mickey, but I'm beginning to wonder if much of what he says is bs.

    On the other hand, if you have a squad of players who are good, but not exceptional, then it's unrealistic to expect brilliant performances...Yet Northants, a similar club to us, are producing results in all competitions.

    That Jewell was dropped from the T20, and hasn't played, so far, in the Metro, speaks volumes, as he must be paid more than the other players, as an overseas star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jewell isn't contracted for this competition. I suspect our having an overseas player for it depended on MA being picked up as a Hundred coach, the saving on his salary in that time put to other use.

      But he hasn't been picked up, so...

      Delete
  18. Ha! Are you sure you're not being a bit overly optimistic PF? MA is only contracted until 2028 AT THE MOMENT--but he's been given a whole series of extensions based on absolutely no evidence that he's got what it takes to make Derbyshire successful in any format at all, so what's to stop them giving him a further one until 2030?!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know I've said this before, but after such a dismal batting effort, the words long ago of a reporter called Henry Bevington spring to mind : "Connoisseurs of Derbyshire batting collapses will today have witnessed a vintage specimen"
    What a shocking batting performance. After another fairly disastrous T20 season, the contest we were pinning our hopes on has already fallen apart. Go MA and go NOw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was a squalid performance. How many players are better in one day than last season? I’d say Potts. Andersson and Donald continue to impress me although I know others have different views of Nye. I think pretty much everyone else has gone backwards. Isn’t it the job of the “coach” to improve players or move them on?
    Andy T Cleckheaton

    ReplyDelete
  21. There has to be a change. MA should do the honourable thing and step down. The long suffering supporters have put up with the continued failures for too long. Despite his continued “clap trap”, we clearly lack quality. It’s his side and we are simply not good enough. Move on please Mickey, we would like to watch some competitive cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a Derbyshire supporter I retain a limited expectation of success but over the years I have been disappointed with the lack of competitiveness. Too often we are out of a competition as soon as it starts and that is exactly what has happened this season in the T20 and now the Metro Bank Cup. It seems we are not prepared for even the basic requirements of the competition.
    It is particularly disappointing that there has been a decline in our fielding and running between the wickets. I have lost count of the number of times there has been an obvious 2 available but ambling through for a single has been the option taken. We used to be one of the best teams at pushing for every run on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chesterfield Blue25 July 2026 at 09:00

    If Mickey Arthur was a football manager he'd have been sacked two seasons ago, but now we've made a rod for our own backs by giving him that stupid contract extension and we're showing zero signs of progression on that pitch four seasons in. I'd love to see his stats compared to our other coaches over the years, ones who would be on a lot less salary than him. What a mess we're in, but sadly it's just the norm at Derbyshire ccc

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn’t watch the t20 but was hoping for much better in the 50 overs competition. How disappointing it has been so far. Apart from Andersson (what would we do without him?) and to a lesser extent Guest, the batting has been hopeless with wickets thrown away as if we didn’t really care. Bin Naeem has been handed a poisoned challice in that he is condemned to bat with the tail, which begins at number 8. No chance for him to build an innings and show what he can do.

    The bowling has been OK, but bowling second to defend inadequate targets gives them little chance. We are truly paying for the injuries and, across all formats, for the fact that four of our best bowlers are number 11 batters: a problem with squad building as at best only two of them can play in a game.

    I agree that there is little hope now in the 50 over competition. As regards the four day, I do fear what might happen if we do get promoted.... Oh the joy of being a Derbyshire supporter!

    Adrian, Nice

    ReplyDelete
  25. On a slightly different note I like to question the comms from the club.
    1. What’s happening with Chappell ? MA told us early June that he might be back for Chesterfield? What 2027 ? Originally injured with a groin this now appears to have morphed into a foot injury? Walking around the outfield? Not seen him at Derby for a long time. Very strange.
    2. Pat Brown was reported to be being readied for the second half of the blast ? Again 2027 ?
    3. How come supporters were not told until now that Jewell was unavailable for the 50 overs?
    4. What’s happening with Abbas?

    Communications from DCCC have always been poor compared to other counties but this year ….. ( bit like the team )

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem is, Paul, that with injuries you can only ever give an estimate. Sometimes when the workload is increased, there is a setback and in sorting one issue. It can create another. I suspect this is what happened with Zak and Pat, but I agree communication could have been better.

      As for Jewell, much the same. When he signed last year it was for all cricket, so I am not sure at what point that changed.

      As for Abbas, I don't expect to see him again this year, given the Pakistan series against the WI and England. He has been a surprisingly underwhelming signing, but in the club's defence, they only knew of his potential involvement against England. A regime change in Pakistan brought him back into favour and this is the consequence.

      I would like to think they will bring someone in for the red ball run in. I guess there's an argument that you save the money towards players for next year, but if you don't finish strongly 2026 will have become a total washout from a Derbyshire perspective

      Delete
    2. Thanks Peakfan. I agree we should spend on an overseas for this year. The club desperately needs a good end to the season with morale low amongst supporters.
      I often think we as supporters get more updates/communications from you rather than the club! Keep up the good work
      Paul

      Delete
  26. I can't really add anything to your excellent summation Steve. However, one slight glimmer of hope is that Harry Moore is due to be playing for Clifton today. 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasper. That is good news indeed. I might see if I can find that on a stream, in the absence of other cricket. He will he in good hands under Daryn Smit, that's for sure

      Delete
    2. It is due to be streamed from 12pm. I'm assuming he will be player as a batter only, and as you say, Smit is there to monitor him closely.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I suspected that would be the case but he can handle a bat and hopefully gets a few in the middle of it!

      Delete
  27. Ian from Suffolk25 July 2026 at 14:55

    In his last interview MA said that deep down he knows we are a proper cricket side. 2 questions. How deep down and does anyone else know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he'd inform the team 🙈

      Delete
  28. The 2 month gap between red ball games is ridiculous. I knew deep down we aren't currently a great white ball side before we started, but I just hope it doesn't ruin the proper cricket, because the wins against Northants, Middlesex and Lancs were good. Durham away wasn't, but they are a div 1 side in all but name. We seem to accept making up the numbers in 50 overs, after almost qualifying in 2024. Kris

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!