Monday 29 May 2023

Derbyshire v Northamptonshire T20

I didn't see any of today's game as I am at my Mum's doing stuff for her, but it didn't seem like one in which we were at any point in control.

The total that we posted never looked likely to be enough and the result is another disappointment in a season that is having too many.

I'm happy to leave it there on this occasion and hope that you will post your comments and observations below.

25 comments:

1. Not the best display but credit again to Wayne and this time to Brooke Guest for trying to salvage a poor situation. Reece and Zaman also deserve some acknowledgement for their efforts but overall another weak performance under a Captain who IMO is not Captain material and a Director of Cricket who has either lost his way or lost heart. Wood needs an opportunity and the batting generally needs a big shake-up. I hope changes will be made for next match since there is nothing to lose now. The context is that we are simply not good enough.

ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t understand why Mickey made 2 clear bad calls. The 1st was he needed to put Haider at 5 who very out form and low on confidence down the order and change his role as power hitter near end. The 2nd was he need to drop Dal for Wood. Dal is not T20 believe he could do more role in 50 over. Wood has shown can play that role and needs opportunity. The challenge we have is both overseas are not playing to level of overseas player has to play at. Then Watt isn’t bowling as controlled and tidy as last year. There lots little things that we did well last year that not happening. I think boils down to poor recruitment and getting his strong 11 wrong were just not enough fire power in batting. We been consistent being 30 short every game

ReplyDelete
  3. Chesterfield blue29 May 2023 at 19:02

Absolute garbage, nothing more nothing less. We're heading for the bottom of the pile here, just as we are likely to be in the championship . Where is this Mickey Arthur magic?

ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Chesterfield29 May 2023 at 19:14

Twenty runs light and after a good-ish start with the ball we never took wickets when we needed them and didn't have the scoreboard pressure we needed. Disappointing without going into the output of specific players.

ReplyDelete
  5. Little to say, really. There are three areas that need looking into - coaching captaincy and selection of overseas players. Within all that there lie serious issues. Why are we using two overseas players who have no experience playing in this country? Great potential maybe, but that's not enough in a side this thin in confidence. And why have so many proven players gone backwards? Only 3 or 4 are turning up each game. I thought the shambolic days were behind us - obviously not. Mickey Arthur has a huge task on here, and for me is under the spotlight himself. I hope he can turn this around but it will be next season before we can expect any fundamental improvement, I fear.
    Very unexpected and bitterly disappointing.

ReplyDelete
  6. That was an extremely disappointing match. Some poor shot selections and controlled bowling by Northamptonshire meant we were at least twenty or thirty runs short of what would have been a decent total.

I’m finding the bowling and fielding settings in the T20 this season very formulaic, and as if it has been decided beforehand who will bowl which over regardless of the match situation. If I had been Lewis McManus I would have been much happier facing Mattie McKiernan first ball than Zaman Khan, say, and no disrespect to McKiernan who I thought bowled tidily today.

Sarah

ReplyDelete
  7. As a previous correspondent said, we would be in real trouble without Madsen. Once again he held our innings together , this time with able support from Guest but our final total never looked like troubling the Steelbacks. This duo scored 106 runs between them but what were the others doing? We desperately need a big hitter so why is Tom Wood consistently left out of the side?

ReplyDelete
  8. To be fair the score was not far short of par on what was an extremely poor one day pitch. Uneven bounce, two paced and generally slow. I realise it’s the same for both teams but when we have two genuine pace bowlers why produce this type of pitch. If MA asked for this he needs questioning and if not then the grounds man needs to go as he also produces some terrible championship pitches. Ali, Dal , Watt need replacing for next match by Wood, Came and Thomson.Paul

ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately you can't escape the fact we only have 2 or 3 players playing to their potential. Today the pitch wasn't as batsman friendly as usual as evidenced by Wayne's strike rate. Halfway through their innings we were very much in it but after a few lusty blows from Cobb, it appeared we lost all self belief. If you didn't know who the captain was, I don't think you would have known if you know what I mean. Instead of trying to put some pressure on by bringing some extra fielders in, the match drifted to inevitable conclusion. Very disappointing.

ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure how Wood fails to get in this team when we are clearly short of hitters🤷🏻‍♂️. He averages 40 in this format over is short career with a strike rate around 130. If you count his appearances in the last 3 years his figures are even more impressive. That along with a couple of sixties in the 2s warm up games and a 140 ball double centuary at the weekend for his club side would suggest a poor use of limited resources by MA
    Chad Jim

ReplyDelete
  11. I maintain that the Taunton debacle was a watershed. We saw the sunlit uplands, but blinked and retreated into our burrow. Since that night (nearly a year ago now) our record across all formats is P22 W4 D8 L4. Of those 4 wins, 3 were in the Royal London Cup where teams are shorn of their best players.

ReplyDelete
  12. I was willing to let the first two games slide due to the quality of the opposition, but yesterday was a shocker. Fundamentally De Plooy is not captain material. Field settings and bowling is constantly chopped about as though we are making it up. Watt is having a nightmare and Scrimshaw not far behind. Batting is paper thin and the first time Wayne doesn’t show up could be horrendous on current form. I’m not saying Mickey having two jobs is the root cause, but when ever does anyone having two jobs work? On a positive great to see Guest back and in the runs immediately. Big week incoming.

ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about the two jobs.they are both high level.I wonder if he added the second job as his heart wasn’t really in derby job? Tho that’s probably unfair of me. Mal

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think that Mickey Arthur will only have one job by this time next year and it will not be in this country. A variety of reasons will bring this outcome as surely as night follows day.

Delete
    2. Anonymous should be Dave B

Delete
  14. Chesterfield Blue30 May 2023 at 09:13

How can we score more runs against Lancs and Notts, it's baffling as to what's happening with this team. To say the season so far has been bitterly disappointing is a massive understatement, only captain fantastic is firing and I keep saying it where on earth would we be without him?.
    Du Plooy's captaincy has been awful up to yet his batting not much better, will we see him step down from the role soon just like Billy did last season. Leus just hasn't kicked on from his first season with us, and his average is poor now for a top order batsman. Loads of work for Mickey to sort here to stop this season going into major freefall

ReplyDelete
  15. As has been already mentioned, this was a disappointing performance and a match we never got on top of. From standing at square leg, I could tell that Northants have some briskness in their bowling. We seemed to struggle timing our shots, though early on. Given that it wasn’t a high scoring game, a bit of a two-paced wicket perhaps?
    Agree, twenty five runs too light.

Sadly, we don’t appear to be the same team this year as last. Do we know our strongest eleven for this format? Overseas performances are hugely important in this dog eat dog Blast. We’re still waiting on that front. (Zaman missed a tough, head-high chance to catch at mid-wicket, which just might have turned it around). The Northern group is already difficult enough, that matches, especially at home against the non-Test teams need to be won.

Was Du Plooy given the captaincy as an appeasement to stay? The outriders were looking at and listening to Guest for direction on placement.

At 0-3, this is going to take some doing to post a double-digit in the table, especially if it’s going to be a rainless summer again. Performances and consistency levels need upping, lads.
    Matt.

ReplyDelete
  16. Disappointing performance yesterday against one of the supposed "lesser" teams like ourseleves.

We seem to have "regressed" to a couple of seasons ago where we pick 4 batsman then pack the team with bits/bobs players as we can't seem to trust 5/6 bowling options and have no one to play a mid order big hitting cameo.

I thought Reece and Ali were both out to poor shots after starting promisingly then Madsen (again!) & Guest came to the rescue. You got the feeling though that they couldn't be to gung ho due to the pitch and more likely the lack of batting coming in after them.

For me Came or wood have to open with Reece, Ali drop to five. This would mean leaving out Dal or Mckiernan (whole bowled tidily yesterday). Dal is the best fielder by far but is not a number 5 and if he can't bowl then not sure you can pick him.

Chappel & Zaman bowled mostly well whereas Scrimshaw may get 3 or 4 wickets or go for double figures overs. I am no expert but surely the lack of cricket doesn't help him perfect his bowling.

Watt is maybe in the last chance saloon I suppose we only find out if Thomson is good enough if he gets a chance?

ReplyDelete
  17. In some ways this season reminds me a little of the 1997 season, having finished second in the league the previous year the obvious expectation level was high unfortunately for various reasons (including poor weather)Derbyshire struggled to get going the then captain Dean Jones was becoming more and more frustrated it culminated with Jones offering Hampshire a generous deceleration at Chesterfield which Hampshire comfortably won a few days later Jones issued a statement to the press throwing the team under the bus and then resigned and returned to Australia , the rest is history

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chapel Guy actually....quite agree, KJB. This thought had already occurred to me. Let's hope it doesn't actually come to pass.

Delete
  18. Similar to other posts . We were 20+ short with the bat and we appear bereft of power hitters in the team .The worry for myself is the lack of options within the squad to shake it up . The team desperately need a win to inject some self belief into the group .At this rate we could be out of the reckoning in 2 comps by mid June !! Yesterday was a shame because there was a good crowd but at 49-4 the game had gone .A nod to Wayne Madsen doing his best to take us to a competitive total in all 3 games .A big fortnight for Mickey tbh .

ReplyDelete
  19. I think we miss Alex Hughes, purely from a team perspective, rather than averages. Good team men have a role. Also, did we need an overseas opening bat? I'd suggest Came or Wood are capable to do that role. Kris

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also not a fan of having an overseas opener in T20. Yes there are some very good ones, but opener is one of the easier positions to find an adequate starter in T20 and would prefer overseas to play in roles that are harder to fill like quality all rounders and strike bowlers.

Delete
  20. Chesterfield blue31 May 2023 at 22:32

Nothing much coming from Mickey's mouth recently. Would love to hear his views on the T20 campaign so far

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a post match interview after the Northamptonshire T20.

Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!