Thursday 24 November 2022

County to feature in 'Blast Off'

I'm afraid that time ran away from me yesterday and work took too great a chunk from my available time to comment on the day's big news.

Which was, of course, that Derbyshire will feature in a tournament-opening Vitality Blast 'Blast Off' double header at Edgbaston, which will see us play Lancashire while Birmingham Bears take on Yorkshire, on Saturday 20 May. It is a big occasion for supporters and one which will feature all of the razzmatazz of finals day. Who knows, it may well turn out to be a portent of things to come..

It highlights the tournament in a grandstand way and sees it come very much to the forefront of public consciousness, all this in May, when the county game usually sees its participants jostling for early dominance in the season.

The downside is that Derbyshire are the only side involved who are effectively giving up home advantage. They are the designated home side for their game, while it is Birmingham's home game anyway. The counter arguments that I have seen are that it is one less game for supporters to go to and that we are not really a home side.

But does that matter? We played very well on this ground last year and for me getting this tournament into minds so early in the summer can only be a good thing. It is innovative, it is making people aware that there is a better tournament out there than the one which has been marketed to death, yet still only sees the bulk of its attendance figures through promotional giveaways.

The Blast is a  very good competition. How else would England have become world champions in the format? The players in that side grew up playing in our domestic T20 and honed their skills in it. Derby to Birmingham is not that far and the club have already said that they will lay on coach travel to and from the ground. You get to see two games of cricket and this is in the price of your membership, if you chose to go down that route.

There was a time in my life when I had 40-50 miles in each direction as my daily commute. I didn't find it too difficult at the time and I wouldn't find it an issue to travel to support my favourite sports team, particularly when I could just jump on a luxury coach and relax.

Cricket supporters around the country have spent the last twelve months mobilising in support of the existing county structure. The dangers facing it were clear and the franchise competition is still out there, its supporters still vocal.

I am just pleased to see the counties fighting back with innovation of their own. Perhaps the following season it will be a different four counties involved, a different venue. I would assume so, but I hope that supporters of all four clubs get behind this.

From the perspective of the players, the opportunity to play in front of what should be a large crowd can only be positive for them. Big game experience can only be gained by playing in big games, there is no simulator that can otherwise replicate everything.

I accept that there will be other views and it is, of course the prerogative of the individuals concerned to hold those views.

But I like this. I like to see my county involved in innovation.

Bring it on! And remember, it is Blast Off, not Bake Off...

11 comments:

  1. I'm a bit underwhelmed, actually. I certainly don't think it's worth the sacrifice of a home game, although I don't know what (if any) compensatory considerations there are. And with no "final" the second game is very unlikely to be in front of anything like a full house. Sorry - back to the drawing board for me, lads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough Phil. Given that my round trip would be 650 miles, I wouldn't attend a T20, 10 hours of driving for 3 hours of cricket.. But if I was in or around Derby, I would fancy this. Four good teams, two good games, a good day out... But you pays your money and takes your choice!

      Delete
    2. I'm with Phil. I hope we have been recompensed appropriately for giving up home advantage. Can't see there being a "big" crowd for our game to be honest. Underwhelmed sums it up for me. I expect to watch our home games at Derby or Chesterfield. If instead it had been our scheduled away game against Lancashire that would have been a different matter.....

      Delete
  2. I think it's a good idea if Derbyshire are compensated fairly. I lLOVE the blast and I think it is absolutley fantastic that we are seeing innovation to try and get people into county cricket (rather than the tournamnent that shall not be named!) however giving up a home match does bring up a concern. One less home match means less money (tickets, food and drink etc) something that i'd be reluctant to give up in this economy; particulary as our budget will be smaller than some of the other counties. If Derbyshire get a fair share of the profit (perhaps sky will show it so there is TV money?) then i'm all for it. Facet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on Sky. Not sure if that means we get rewarded financially. Let's hope so.

      Delete
    2. We are very savvy off the pitch these days. I have little doubt that a very busy Edgbaston will be financially worth perhaps more to a 'home' side than Derby. They wouldn't have agreed to this and written off a busy Derby crowd income

      Delete
  3. I actually quite like the idea and if marketed well and having a good day think you’d get a decent crowd. It’s a one off and being the first games of the Blast should be a reasonable atmosphere which will help the players experience something different. I went to one of the original T20 World Cup tournaments and remember going to the Oval and there being two matches back to back and it felt more like a day at the cricket than one T20 game which half the time is over quickly when one team gets on top. Appreciate the members lose one home game, which maybe the club can compensate then if they don’t want to go but definitely quite innovative. The counties have to keep trying different things to keep the stupid hundred out of the headlines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those fretting re. losing home game revenue, of course you have/will be compensated for the equivalent amount and i suspect any extra over that the day itself makes. No county would agree to it otherwise. Some common sense folks! Agree with PF a decent innovation - assuming its published and marketed...

    Essex Fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure having the opening games of next years blast at Egbaston featuring a double header will have thousands upon thousands of extra supporters streaming through the turnstiles for the remainder of the blast games. Meanwhile, back on planet earth....

      Delete
  5. We don't know, Jasper. And it shouldn't stop any attempt at change if there is a chance of positive impact on the structure we all know and love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the experience of having to deal with playing in an unusual setting - and probably with more spectators and more pressure than normal - will do the players good. We didn't really show up at Taunton in the QF last year - and to a lesser extent in the SF when we made finals day. Perhaps we need more experience of those big occasions. Whether this will prove to be such a "big occasion" remains to be seen - clearly it's not the same as a QF or finals day. But I'm optimistic.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!