Friday 2 June 2023

Billy Godleman

I have had a number of emails and DMs on Twitter asking me what has happened with Billy Godleman. 

There has been no official announcement from the club, but the Telegraph reported the following a couple of weeks ago:

  • Billy Godleman, the Derbyshire captain until last season, quietly slipped out of the XI after recording a pair in a day – both lbw to Durham's Ben Raine – at the end of last month. Word is that there's been a big fallout with the club's hierarchy and Godleman, who has signed for Rainhill CC in the Liverpool and District League, is unlikely to be seen in Derbyshire colours again.
Source : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/05/15/james-rew-england-keeper-batsmen-new-generation-leader/

It wouldn't surprise me, as Billy hasn't played in any second team matches since then, nor been seen by anyone at the ground.

As I wrote over a week ago myself, if he isn't playing four-day cricket, he certainly won't be playing T20 and his only other opportunity would be in the Royal London Cup.

As things stand at the moment, I think it very unlikely that we will see him in Derbyshire colours again and his departure at the end of the season would appear to be inevitable.

It raises a couple of questions for me. Why was he given a contract for this year, when his form in the 2 or 3 years previously was not indicative of his glory days? I can only assume that his contract included a clause whereby either party could activate an additional year, should they choose to do so. 

Secondly, why has nothing been said at this stage? Again, I assume that any discussions are subject to legal niceties and there has been no announcement because they can't, at this stage.

I am sure that at an appropriate time there will be an announcement from the club, but I would be surprised if we saw the uniquely-styled left-hander in the county colours again.

Which would be a shame. When he started the summer I had hopes, during his first innings, that the run machine of several seasons past was back in the groove. Let's be very clear about it, at his best he was a very good player indeed, but recent seasons have seen diminishing returns and as we all know, at first class level a player's currency and bargaining tool is in the runs he makes or the wickets he takes.

I can only say that in my interactions with Billy over many years I have always found him very pleasant, intelligent, articulate and as interested in me as I was in him.

From a personal perspective, if this is to be the parting of the ways, I would miss him. But this is professional sport and like everyone else involved in it, Billy will be aware that at some point it comes to an end.

That's all I can say at this point.

6 comments:

  1. Chesterfield blue2 June 2023 at 19:40

    I think someone needs to tell Derbyshire that this isn't a four day game, what the hell are we playing at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an easy wicket, CB. Never looked it until Wayne and Tom came together. Then we bowled steadily and that was a good win

      Delete
  2. I wish Billy well in whatever direction his career goes . Sad way to finish his career , I may be wrong but I thought he was due a testimonial . His career averages 22 in T 20 ,32 in First class and 42 in List A one day with a total of 30 first class centuries .A solid servant but a clean break is probably for the best .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tough isn't it? I am quite the Billy fan and was impressed with the first couple of championship matches this season. But yes, his form did fall away and no doubt the worries of the previous two seasons were raised.
    Unfortunately, this does not seem to be a happy departure. Sad days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sad news. Why do Derbyshire never manage to handle sackings properly? I remember some years ago when two players on the staff learned their contracts were not being renewed from a report on local radio. No-one at the club on that occasion had thought to tell them before leaking the news to Radio Derby. The way Godleman has been treated is just as bad. He has been a loyal servant to the County and our skipper for several seasons. His idiosyncratic batting style will be missed. No way to treat a thoroughly decent individual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over 2,000 all format runs in 2019, which was probably his prime. Godleman has been a good player and captain. Kris

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!