Saturday 30 April 2022

Musings on two days in Derby

Three things stood out for me during my two days at the Incora County Ground. The style of Shan Masood, as well as how hard he is, to bat in only a short-sleeved shirt when even polar bears were donning gilets. Oh, and how amazing the sausage rolls are from the tea room. If you haven't had one of these 'Phat Pies' delicacies, do it soon...

In fairness and with tongue removed from cheek, there were a lot of standouts. I enjoyed watching the intensity of the Derbyshire players fielding drills, which looked ramped up several notches from previous years. There was also a greater cricketing relevance to what they did and I have never fully understood why cricketers play football and risk injury in doing so.

It was also a pleasure to catch up with a few of the players before play. With Covid and family commitments I haven't been down to Derby for three years, but their ready smiles and friendly chats picked up where we left off. It genuinely remains a pleasure, gentlemen. 

It was especially nice to hear more than one tell me that both Shan Masood and Suranga Lakmal are 'special players AND special people'. Such men can help this club develop in the way that we wish. 

I must also mention the stewards at the ground. My childhood recollections are of dour 'jobsworths' who regarded their interactions with those attending as an unfortunate intrusion.  Every one I encountered had a smile and a ready word, which set the tone for the day. 

I enjoyed my look around the club shop, where I made a few purchases. The new T20 caps are really quite swish, while the bobbled beanie hat may just have kept my ears attached to my head on the bitterly cold first afternoon. That will be perfect for winter dog walks up here, although our fox terrier, Wallace, already has his eye - and nearly his teeth - on the bobble...

I am also grateful to Tom Skinner and Stephen Martin for facilitating my access to the Media Centre. I spent time walking around the ground and catching up with friends old and new too, but I was able to see behind the scenes of a very slick and well-drilled operation that is every bit as impressive as what Mickey Arthur is bringing to our cricket.

Having seen them at work, I can see why the county is so well-respected and returns spectacular financial results, even during a pandemic. I was able to chat with James, who coordinates the excellent county stream and also to meet one or two of the camera personnel who do such sterling work. It really is quite the eye-opener and what we supporters take for granted is the result of highly-skilled people doing their jobs to a very high standard. Done to a fraction of the budget of some counties, they set a very high benchmark for others to match. 

A chance encounter when parking my car on the second morning led to a fascinating chat with Charlotte from the Derbyshire Cricket Foundation. She has just been planting up a flower bed to the rear of the Media Centre and explained, between trips with a watering can, their plans for a community allotment on some spare ground at the club. What a fabulous idea that is and how nice it was to hear what terrific work they do. They are looking for volunteers with this project and I would have been interested , but a six hundred-mile return trip seemed excessively enthusiastic. 

Finally, I was grateful to CEO Ryan Duckett, who took time out of his busy schedule to walk around the ground with me and discuss some of the club plans. There was no detailed discussion on players and contracts, nor did I expect it, but I was left firmly of the opinion that the club is in very sound hands and is moving in the right direction.

On the field and off it, Derbyshire are a club to be reckoned with. 

Sincere congratulations to everyone involved for your efforts, together with a  thank you for the warmth of your welcome.

There was even time to chat cricketing heroes with writing and broadcasting legend Edward Bevan, while also discussing the respective merits of The Byrds and The Grateful Dead with writer Michael Henderson. Sometimes when one meets heroes they are found to have feet of clay, but not in those  cases, both men whose work I have admired for many years 

As two-day breaks at the cricket go, this will be hard to beat.

I think it is clear from the above that I am very grateful to everyone concerned. As well as those who stopped me to say hello on my circuits of the ground. I remain humbled by continued interest in the blog and thank each and every one of you.

Until the next time.. 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely write up and sorry we missed your trip and meeting you in person this time - we had other pressing commitments 🏉 but sounds like Derbyshire la-la-la did you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely read - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!