Friday 2 August 2019

Northamptonshire V Derbyshire T20

So Derbyshire earned their second T20 win of the summer tonight, a game that I perforce followed at a distance.

That being the case I will rely on your comments and observations tonight, including what you thought of the returning Boyd Rankin.

As a short-term signing it makes more sense to me than that of Darren Stevens. He seemed to bowl well, though once again Rampaul was outstanding.

Luis Reece and Wayne Madsen did the spade work with the bat, with a late blast from Alex Hughes.

So who impressed you tonight?

I look forward to your comments!

10 comments:

1. You've summed it PF - Rampaul's bowling was key again. I'm still impressed with Watt. Rankin came good atter soem shockingly short deliveries. Am starting to question Critchley's value in T20 and would prefer Stevens. Showed tonight that when our best batsmen - Reece and Madsen - come off a chase total of 180 is viable.

ReplyDelete
  2. Rampaul was absolutely brilliant. Watt bowled some rubbish at times but got away with it. There were a couple of twitchy moments in the chase but it was actually fairly straightforward in the end and just shows what can happen when 2 batsmen actually get in. I'm a little worried about Godleman, he's a class act but I don't know if the captaincy is affecting his T20 form?

ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of showed us what we already know. Ravi is our star with the ball. Madsen with the bat. Glad Alex Hughes is in. He should always be in our T20 team. Critchley looks low on confidence - not sure whether it’s worth letting him have a blast at the top of the order to try and get him into some form?
    To be fair after the games we’ve had we probably have the points you’d expect. I’d say Lancs, Notts and Worc will go through and it’s a bun fight for the last place in my opinion. The team that wins the games against the others in this group will probably qualify. At least we’re back in it. Big couple of games coming up

ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Chesterfield3 August 2019 at 08:51

Was it on Sky last night?

Went to test match and got on the beers and just coming back to life.

ReplyDelete
  5. Reece superb, Rampaul the same. Hughes, Hudson-Prentice, Smit all worthy places and of course Madsen and du Ploy pick themselves. Critchley's body language shows that his confidence is shot. Personally would definitely play Stevens in every game. Watt does not impress me at all- bring in Quadri. Spirited performance tonight.

ReplyDelete
  6. Rampaul MOTM for me and I think we would also have lost without Rankin who kept the run rate under some control. Hughes bowled well some big blows aside. As above Critchley struggling at present and Stevens may be better option. Plenty of potential for FHP and I think of everyone Cork should be able to help him most. He appears just the right pace to be dispatched and so may want to consider keeper standing up or muchore pace variation.
    Class batting from Madsen and Reece and with du Plooy offer a very strong core. I maintain du Plooy for opening and Godleman further down for either a rebuild or some long handle.
    Positives aside, I felt Northants were very poor last night in their game management and we will need to see how we get on against other opposition.
    StaffsFan

ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is what can happen when two batsmen get going and don't get out cheaply. A great performance, and Ravi was superb again. I agree about Critchley. He's in dreadful form at the moment. It happens in cricket. I think he's good enough to come through it, but might benefit from being left out of the next game. I'd give Dal a go.

ReplyDelete
  8. Am only delighted Levi was injured, as he would probably have feasted better than Pretorious or Curran.Those

Those that have impressed have, rightly, already been mentioned.

Thought the best thing happened when Cobb bowled Bill.
    Sometimes in cricket it's better to not take a wicket.
    Actually, to persist in his opening is where we are probably going wrong.
    If you study why you're losing so many games of chess, you adopt a different opening gambit.
    We've cleaner strikers and timers of a ball. Billy's cavalry-style charging might to better suited to death bowlers.

ReplyDelete
  9. At times Madsen can be world class and on Friday night he was certainly that.

Peak Fan I have supported this county for 30 years many lows but some high. If you and other supporter for a moment think about what messages the club are sending out to the wider squad of players. At the start 20/20 you see Stevens come in (a guy who has seen his best days) and then watch him struggle and not really make any impact. Then as 2nd eleven player you play some matches against Yorkshire and Leciester a chance to impress Mr Cork and catch his eye. Then the news is that Boyd Rankin signed (also player who has seen his best days) You got the likes of Dal, Wood,Gleadall and Godsal all asking the question What do I have to do? It looks impossible!! Look at Aurthur Godsal as an example played against Yorkshire 2nds 5/19 0/52 and Leicester 2nd 2/25 why do we not sign him and give him a chance on short term deal? Tom Wood I have kind of given up on fighting Tom Wood case as no logic in why he hasn't been offered a contract. Apart from keeping a very small squad. What does he need to do? he has proven he can play well at 2nd eleven but no proper chance in the Royal or 20/20. I understand the team and in fairness the Championship team picks itself nearly with prehaps one place. I personally see the Royal cup and 20/20 as pathway to getting players use to playing in 1st team. At moment it seems Austrailia A or minor counties this just token gesture. Houghton and coaching team have showen very little faith in the acadmy and Derbyshire for county with very limited resorces shouldn't have a poor record of not produce youngester. Sadly my prediction is we need to change and coaches at Derbyshire need to be asking question about the current pathway to becoming 1st team player.

I know you a busy person but it would intresting either at end of 20/20 campaign or end of season on your opions on why there lack of oppurtunity at Derbyshire for young players who are in our 2nd eleven in limited over cricket.

Kind regards Gary

ReplyDelete
  10. Think Gary makes a good point about the Royal London - it should be an opportunity to play younger players over a decent spell of 8 games.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!