Tuesday 13 August 2019

Derbyshire V Worcestershire T20

Derbyshire 181-2 (Godleman 92, Reece 51)

Worcestershire 161-7 (Critchley 4-36, Guptill 45)

Derbyshire won by 20 runs

And with a win against the competition's reigning champions Derbyshire catapulted themselves in two matches from bottom 2/4 place in the group.

They are halfway to Dominic Cork's target of winning the next 4 matches and have played some very good cricket in the process.

I only followed tonight's action at a distance, walking through a delightful park in Grange over Sands. Yet when I heard that we were batting first I felt that a solid performance would enable us to do to Worcestershire what Durham did to us last week.

Had it been scripted it could not have gone better. Billy Godleman registered his highest score in T20 cricket and shared in an excellent partnership with Luis Reece which ensured that the visitors were going to have their work cut out. Late impetus came from our Cape Crusaders, Messrs Madsen and du Plooy and at the halfway stage I was reasonably confident as long as we made quick inroads to a powerful batting line-up.

Alex Hughes ran out the dangerous Wessels but while Guptill and Ferguson were together they were not out of the game.

What I felt was canny tonight was in Billy Godleman's handling of Matt Critchley. He kept him back until the ball was older and the wicket slower, making him a tough proposition.

His excellent spell, which included four wickets, effectively changed and won the game. He was backed up in the field and the supporting bowlers appear to have done an excellent job.

I look forward to hearing the comments from those of you who were lucky enough to be there, and hope that we can continue this excellent run.

If we can beat Leicestershire, irrespective of the result at Trent Bridge, we are still capable of retaining our place in the top four.

From where we started, and taking into account our resources, that would be some achievement.

More from me soon.

7 comments:

1. Another fine win, all about confidence for me now let's carry it forward against Leicester. Still doing it without any help from Stevens and Rankin who it's fair to say are looking like panic signings. Win these next two somehow and things are looking rosy in the Derbyshire garden, a very big ask though.

ReplyDelete
  2. Huge game against Leicestershire and every chance of a rain off against Notts. With the bet run rate looking good date I say it I will
    Now be disappointed if we don’t qualify having given up a week or so ago. Cricket eh. Great result last night. Reece seemed slow at the start from following the scorecard online and actually perversely we could have done with him getting out earlier judging by how quickly LDP scored from 3 balls. Bowling seemed solid. Important run out and some key wickets from Critchley. Well done all.

ReplyDelete
  3. Great performance last night...though I thought we were 20 runs short but the pitch seemed to get slower. As said before if Reece/Godleman had got out 5 overs earlier LDP could have got us nearer to 200 maybe. Concerning van beek didn't complete his spell (injured?) and Rankin looked out of sorts twice having long hops put away. Definitely seem to have the confidence now though so onwards & upwards!

ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - an excellent all round performance. Worcs didn't have the bowling variety and might have been different if Moeen or D'Oliveira had played but Mitchell did slow things down a bit and Du Plooy's contribution with two boundaries off the last couple of balls just pushed the score above 180 when 190-200 looked possible at half way. Great effort by Godleman who deserved a 100 and need to mention his fantastic diving catch at the end of the Worcs innings. The only blip on the bowling was Rankin I'm afraid but as with with the Worcs pace bowlers not the wicket for him - his fielding didn't but could cost in a tight game. The announcer was the real star of the evening - so many mistakes with player identification.

ReplyDelete
  5. Yes a good performance, although the Wessels run out was a massive bonus. Things didn't look great when Luis play out a maiden in the first over but he fought through to keep the scoreboard ticking over and scored at a similar rate to Billy, not sure why he persisted in bowling round the wicket to right handers as bowled some wides to them, which in a tight match could be vital. Billy had a good match not only with the bat but marshaled the field well, alert as to what was happening (called Critch back into the ring when he forgot), and checking people were in the right places where every couple of balls. Especially pleasing to see Critch bowling with confidence, not a bad threesome to have Guptill, Ferguson, & Parnell, I was a bit worried when he had a 4th over, but despite being sent for two sixes in that over finished 4-36. Alex Hughes bowled well containing them and putting more pressure on them in the middle overs. The one down side was the bowling of Boyd Rankin although it was probably not a wicket for the quicks, whether Stevens or Dal be a better option of an alrounder I am not sure. Yes the announcer was brilliant, called Luis 50 when on 47, said Billy was out when Luis out numerous incorrect bowling change announcements, I bet Darren Mitchell was pleased being mistaken for short and stocky Joe Leach! I think in that mood we could take both Leicestershire & Notts, by Saturday I think we should know whether we are still in the chase or not, although the weather may play its part, but well played DCCC!

ReplyDelete
  6. That was one of the best batting performances I have ever seen from Derbyshire in T20. Yes theyve occasionally reached 200+ but not on a wicket like that. It was lower and slower than against Durham and I said 160 would be par here. Despite a maiden first over we powered 181 off 19 overs. This was not Luis wicket but his determination paid off. He clearly likes the faster more bouncy tracks where he can hit from the crease. Billy was just in domination intent mode. First ball he faced smacked for a straight six and he was charging down the wicket hitting beautifully. At 57 off 6 we were well ahead of what was required. I never considered 200 possible and said after the power play I will take 180. It got harder to score but the running was outstanding it really was. Mads and du ploy found the rope well towards the end and it had been a magnificent effort and execution. Bowling wise LVB, Ravi , Reece and critch bowled tight lengths. Boyd looked a bit off it and there were 3 small errors costing a couple of runs. Boyd looked a little less mobile than the rest. Other than that excellent fielding and a stunning piece of agility from Godleman to take a catch off the last delivery. I think Thursday will tell us if we are heading for a quarter final place

ReplyDelete
  7. A great show from start to finish, Godelman's six from his first ball to a tremendous catch at the end. Boyd Rankin looks a bit of a liability in the field, he'll need to bowl well to cover for his less than athletic fielding.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!