Wednesday 17 July 2019

Darren Stevens signs for T20

I was first made aware of the possible signing of Darren Stevens for the Vitality Blast a couple of days ago.

Two separate sources, first a fellow supporter of Derbyshire, followed by a contact from Kent, referred me to a supporter forum down in that county, which rumoured his move for the duration of the competition.

I was, I admit, unsure what to think. That he has been one of the best all rounders in the county game for many years is beyond dispute, something I have openly admitted on this site on a few occasions. Every season he takes 30-50 wickets, as well as contributing some hard-hit runs along the way, as befits a man with 33 first-class centuries to his name. He deserves immense credit for maintaining the fitness to play in the modern game.

This isn't, as someone mentioned earlier, a return to the days of signing Clive Inman and Fred Trueman, as they were both retired when we decided to bring them back for one last hurrah. Stevens is still a very good cricketer, top of their bowling averages with 28 wickets at 24 each.

Yet he is 43. I reckon I would be safe in my assertion that he is the oldest loan player in cricket history, and only Marcus Trescothick on the circuit is older. He hasn't played the format since 2017 and will undoubtedly need to be hidden in the field, as befits his years.

So to some extent it is a gamble, but one that might, just might, be successful.

And really needs to be.

The withdrawals of both Kane Richardson and Billy Stanlake left us in a bad position, with no overseas player and limited availability of those who were affordable, post-World Cup. I thought that Richardson, who withdrew to protect his workload after the World Cup, might have come after all, when he played only two matches in the tournament, but that didn't happen. Stanlake's injury is one of those things, but not really a surprise for those who have monitored a career with too much down time for anyone's comfort.

So my understanding is that we were left either paying silly money, that we don't have, for players of moderate ability, or admitting defeat and going with only one overseas player, Logan van Beek, whose struggles have been documented.

Logan, I believe, like Sam Conners, is currently carrying an injury that may limit his involvement in the competition, potentially leaving us without an overseas player. Hardly ideal from anyone's point of view, so the search for someone to fill the void has taken us down to Kent and Darren Stevens.

Don't be surprised if he does well. Age aside, there is no more canny bowler on the circuit, still. His last two games for Kent have seen five-wicket hauls, as well as runs. You don't have to be a greyhound to score runs at cricket (ask Chris Gayle) though Stevens and Anuj Dal batting together may be a mismatch. Nor do you need to bowl at the speed of light, as many a batsman has found in recent seasons, lured to their fate by what I have called his 'innocent dibbly-dobblies' in the past, while recognising and admiring their effectiveness.

Whatever the fitness of others, Stevens is a winner and his experience will be very handy for Billy Godleman, as well as the rest of the team. Like any bowler, there will be days where he goes a long way, but there will be others where he frustrates and wheedles them out. He offers yet another bowling option, as well as depth to the batting.

My biggest concern is the impact on the fielding. With neither Mark Watt nor Ravi Rampaul exactly lithe and fast in the field, and both likely to be in a first choice side, we may not be as dynamic in that department as we would wish.

Yet one has only to look at the anger in the Kent social media feeds today to realise that we might just have played a blinder. We have picked up a player with over 25,000 runs and 750 wickets in senior cricket, experience of winning the competition and all-round ability.

Assuming that is it for the T20, which I think we should, my first choice twelve would be:

Godleman, Reece, Madsen, du Plooy, Critchley, Hughes, Stevens, Hudson-Prentice, Lace, Smit, Rampaul, Watt.

I expect Hosein to play, though would choose Smit to stand up to most of that attack. Lace, in not offering a bowling option, may be the one to miss out, as does Dal. Nine bowling options...

I look forward to your comments - and teams - with the first game against Yorkshire on Saturday.

It is now a sell out. Well done to all concerned for making it so.

9 comments:

1. van Beek has been playing t20 warm up matches are you saying he is injured now after playing in those? He seemed to pick up wickets in the warm up matches v Warks and Notts so I assumed he would play?

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard not 100% but you know quick bowlers can pick up injuries at any time.
      I hope he is fit, but we will need options and on a slow wicket Stevens would be a better asset, perhaps.

Delete
    2. Thanks Peakfan. Poor guy if so. Looked like he might start afresh and if injured and we are effectively playing with 0 overseas what a poor show that is. We seem to be unlucky with overseas.

Delete
  2. I have to admit that when I heard Stevens was 43, I was astonished. But if he's still performing well for Kent, then I suppose why not. He has bags of experience and has accumulated an impressive number of runs and wickets in his career.

But I do feel it's a shame that we are not bringing in younger, home-grown talent into the team. If Dal is the one to make way for Stevens,
    that would be a pity. He's an emerging player with lots of potential and someone who saves us runs with his speed in the field.

ReplyDelete
  3. Baffling move, hasn't been effective in t20 in years and hard to see how adding him to a side containing Reece, Hughes and Hudson-Prentice provides much benefit to the attack. Would rather just play Dal and have one less player to try and hide in the field, which will be more important than a ninth bowling option.

I understand if it's been impractical to replace Richardson or Stanlake but replacing a strike bowler with no batting ability with a medium paced all rounder seems like a panic move more than anything.

ReplyDelete
  4. A good move methinks. I've always felt Stevens to be one of the most underrated cricketers. I saw him play a few times for Kent last season and was thinking how well he fielded in mid wicket/extra cover position. We've have to see with his bowling as it is of a similar pace to Hughes and Reece but he doesn't - even in his 40s - get fifty wickets a season by accident. Battingwise he can still be aggressive and should be an asset to the captain.

ReplyDelete
  5. More thoughts from me. Stevens could - could - turn out to be effective, but we're not going to win the T20 this year. Steve Houghton should be thinking long term, like top football managers. "Okay we're not going to do a lot this season, but next season..."

This is why I think bringing emerging players, such as Dal, Connors, and Taylor, for example, is vital. They can gain experience. I see Stevens simply plugging gaps, but adding nothing long term.
    The success of England in the ODI World Cup took four years to achieve. We need to plan for the future, and I'm not sure we're doing that at the moment.

ReplyDelete
  6. Probably a good signing if it was accompanied by others but it's not going to add any spectators at the turnstile and (I hope I'm wrong) get us any further in the competition. After the excitement of the World Cup and the attention it has brought to cricket this isn't going to sell Derbyshire to potential newcomers to cricket as a place to come and watch.

ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited about the signing! He can bowl in 1st period and has exprience what can help when things don't go his way as a bowler. I think with majority of bowlers in 20/20 they will have good days and bad. There only small % that have consitently good days as 20/20 favour the batsman lot more. I hope he can help the likes Reece, Hughes, Hudson prentice and younger player develope there game. I read article where Stevens said it fustrating him last year having gap not playing. He said he is players than needs regular cricket and believes he has lot to offer still.

He will need to learn not to keep saying "Derby" if interviewed as he will start sounding like Skysports team that come and always say it. Derbyshire a big county that covers more places than Derby :D

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!