Saturday 20 April 2019

Derbyshire V Nottinghamshire preview

I do not expect any change to the Derbyshire side for the visit of Nottinghamshire tomorrow.

Both teams recorded wins yesterday, our visitors winning margin surprisingly small on a wicket that was far too much in favour of the batsmen of either side.

Our wicket yesterday was close to perfect and I would not be surprised to see the same one used tomorrow. Gloucestershire did that earlier in the week against Surrey and won handsomely, negating a free-scoring side on a worn wicket and correctly using home advantage. I would have no issue with our doing the same.

The side looks good. The batting depth came into play and, as I said last night, we bowled better lengths than our visitors.

With regard to Logan van Beek, it needs to be remembered that he has played only eight more games of first class cricket than Matt Critchley. He does have a tendency to that one bad ball an over, but also the better one in that he gets wickets. I enjoy his whole-hearted attitude and think his ability to hit a long ball may earn him elevation in T20. I don't see many opportunities otherwise for a long innings.

Mark Watt was tidy yesterday and I could see him playing a lot of white ball cricket this year. The unfortunate stress fracture sustained by Matt McKiernan leaves the way clear for him, especially with Hamidullah Qadri likely to be with England under-19s for much of the summer.

Tomorrow's game will be tough. In financial terms it is David V Goliath and Nottinghamshire, like Surrey, really shouldn't lose many matches with the budget and players at their disposal.

They can and they do though and money doesn't always buy team spirit.

That, and a team of considerable talent, will help Derbyshire to do well this season.

Likely sides:

Derbyshire - Godleman, Reece, Madsen, Lace, du Plooy, Hughes, Critchley, Hosein, van Beek, Watt, Rampaul

Notts - Clarke, Slater, Duckett, Libby, Mullaney, Moores, Patel, Fletcher, Ball, Pattinson, Chappell.

3 comments:

  1. Could be men against boys tomorrow unfortunately, but Derbyshire are capable of making a game of it. The toss is vital, and if we win it I'd bat all day long, good luck lads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far seems to be going well but I can't stop thinking Godleman, despite his century here today, as I type he has just got out, will actually cost us. Lots of batting in the shed this last 20 overs and he's hung around until the 48th over with 166 off 148 at 78.37 strike rate. I may regret this post but I will post real time with my thoughts - I feel like we are playing 50 overs like England used to when Cook was opener and we need to get with the times a bit. Hope I am proved wrong but got a feeling Notts will be well chuffed if they keep us under 300

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a feeling that is 30-40 short. Caught the last few overs on the stream. Fletcher bowled well. I must credit for Godleman he’s probably playing to orders or tactics set but I feel we need to be more aggressive and if we are short it’s a fault of how we’ve gone about it.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!