Sunday 17 June 2018

Back to business - and T20 preparation

Derbyshire make the journey to Wales this week for a game against Glamorgan in the scenic splendours of Swansea.

When I realised that the fixture coincided with a week's holiday, I toyed with the idea of a trip down to south Wales, but the realisation quickly dawned that on a good day it would be a seven-hour journey each way for me.  On a bad one - well, that was something I didn't wish to entertain.

So it is that the coming week will see me head down the M74, A66 and A1 to God's own county. It gives me a chance to catch up with my parents and with friends old and new. I plan to get along to see the second team at Belper on a couple of days, with the weather set fine for the week and the game affording a chance to see who is playing and (hopefully) doing well. Maybe even a belated trialist, who might force his way into the T20 squad with a stellar performance.

My guess is that spin will play a major part in Wales, so Hamidullah Qadri can expect a game and Billy Godleman is likely to have a bat if he wins the toss, as I don't see the wicket green enough to warrant an automatic decision to bowl. I hope that Duanne Olivier is rested well after a spell at Durham that would have tested a spinner, while we can only hope that Hardus Viljoen is back to Sussex, 2017 mode.

I didn't go with one or two suggestions that we should drop Hardus after Durham. In the first innings he looked terrific and bristled with aggression, but in the second I am sure he will admit himself he was poor. He is, however, a professional who will hopefully look back on what he should have done better and is, still, in my opinion, the second best bowler in the club. You don't omit the second best bowler in any club.

I think the reaction to the Durham defeat is a back-handed compliment. Two years ago, we wouldn't have expected to go there and win. Now, we do. Likewise we wouldn't have expected to beat some of these division one sides in T20, which we did last year. Progress is being made, but all of us need to realise that we can't always win and the opposition, as someone pointed out recently, do have a right to play well against us. We are doing OK on limited resources and are competing, something that has not always been the case. Next is winning more, but that will come.

The T20 is around the corner and John Wright, Dominic Cork and Grant Bradburn will already be discussing their plans for the competition. I think that they have some tough calls to make, with the opening partner for, presumably, Matt Critchley among them. I also think that the necessary make up of the side may mean that either Daryn Smit or Gary Wilson can play, but not both. Whoever gets the nod should also skipper the side, a big ask for a keeper, but for me it is one of them or Alex Hughes, to allow Billy Godleman a breather.

We need to fit in Calum MacLeod, one assumes at three in the role vacated by Luis Reece. Riaz, Viljoen and Rampaul are pretty much shoo-ins and that leaves the other overseas role. There has been very little on this from the club and I am not convinced that a quality spinner, our preference when we lost the services of Mitchell Santner, is out there. I would have taken Keshav Maharaj or Tabraiz Shamsi of South Africa, but both are on tour in Sri Lanka. Meanwhile Yasir Shah, who was mentioned a few weeks back, would be a gamble considering he was unfit to tour England and I cannot think of another available spinner of a requisite standard.

One man who wasn't picked for that Sri Lankan tour, in a South African squad that has an expected emphasis on spin, is Duanne Olivier. I would be thrilled if the county were able to retain his services, because he has shown an ability to take wickets in all forms of the game. He also goes for less than eight an over in the T20 format and would take his place, for me, in this likely first choice side:

Godleman
Critchley
MacLeod
Madsen
Slater
Wilson/Smit
Hughes
Viljoen
Riaz
Olivier
Rampaul

Lengthy tail? Yes, but Viljoen and Riaz can both clump it and if you need 8-11 to dig you from a hole, 1-7 haven't done their job properly. Accentuating the positive, to quote Jimmy Durante and that attack SHOULDN'T concede too many runs. Sides may try to negate them on away tracks and prepare slow wickets, but that is where Critchley, Madsen and Hughes come into play.

Is it as strong as we would wish? No, because there's no Reece and no Santner, but you go with the resources you have and work within those constraints and talents.

If we shock the cricket world with the news that AB de Villiers is spending the summer with his granny in Belper I wouldn't say no, but time is running out now and I'd have no complaints if Olivier were to stay on. Nor should anyone else, but I have no idea if he needs to be home at this stage.

More from me when the squads are announced for the Glamorgan game.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Peakfan, Just a quickie.
    Do you think the signing of Macleod is a bit of a knee jerk reaction??
    a) to our thin batting line up for T20, b) because of our inability to find an oversea's bat, and c) because he got a good score v England.
    Personally, I would still have gone with Coetzer (if available), as I think his track record is more proven.
    Any thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Sharif? His signing only makes sense if he is in the first XI. I would be disappointed with Olivier as a T20 overseas signing, delighted with him for the rest of the CC.
    From your XI I would move Slater to open, get an overseas bat at 3 or 4 instead of Olivier. I would replace Viljoen with Sharif. Viljoen, Qadri, Smit & Godleman would be brought in as conditions, injuries or loss of form requires.
    This assumes that Reece is unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark, Sharif will get his matches but I would be surprised if many saw him a better pick in first choice side, at this stage, than those named.

    Of course, he would get in the side were we to sign a top batsman, but there are too many international series, the CPL and the recently finished IPL precluding the involvement of the best.

    A bowler we know is good v a batsman who might be? I will always take the former

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David

    The MacLeod signing will have been worked on for several weeks, likewise the recruitment of Bradburn as coach. I would doff my cap to cricket supremo Kim Barnett for that, who has seen his potential and availability. That he scored that ton against England is perfect timing from our perspective.

    Coetzer? I mentioned him last year and Bradburn is credited for turning him from a bit of a plodder into a dasher. In an ideal world I would have taken both, as I think they could have slotted into the side well, but that sends out the wrong message to the existing squad, perhaps.

    But as in my reply to Mark, our wanting a top order bat and there being one of the requisite standard being available and affordable are two very different things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you Steve, it's the bowlers that win you trophies, it has ever been thus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If slater and Godleman are going to play I would open with them. A comment on a Derbyshire forum about Slater rumours to Nottinghamshire. I hope not. I really like his style and would like to see him continue his improvement. ps Well done to Critch and Slater for their scores today (the 2 highest scores for the ECB Xl at Headingley today)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the one of Wilson or Smit. I was assuming Wilson wouldn’t want to keep and captain. That would be my ideal if he is able.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think Olivier is an overseas option as he's in the SA A 4 day squad to tour India from late July to mid-August, so at best would only be available for the first 6 T20 and the knock-out stages if we get there. Unless we're prepared to accept a split role, the search continues.

    Just on the Slater rumours, Notts would only be able to speak to him after giving 28 days notice, and they usually trumpet their approaches very loudly, as with Zak Chappell currently. If they're looking to strengthen their batting, I suspect they might anyway be fishing in a bigger pond with Ben Duckett or joe Clarke, who are both out of contract this year as well. So I'm not sure that there's much to this rumour, but it's still a worry that no new agreement has been signed, and presumably indicates that there is some sort of stand-off. The longer this goes on, o. The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that he will be looking for other options. The same applies to Will Davis, who I think is also out of contract this year. I don't know where the information that he's not bowling well enough for selection comes from, but he did OK against Leics on his only outing of the season, and has never let Derbyshire down when he has played. He might be taking note that Chappell with less experience, fewer wickets, higher average and similar pace and injury record is the subject of a bidding war between several counties, and he's stuck in the seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bowlers might win trophies, but did all these trophy winning sides have less than adequate batting lineups?

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!