Friday 31 December 2010

Five years ago

As regular readers will know, 2011 marks the 35th anniversary of Eddie Barlow's arrival at Derbyshire County Cricket Club. 1976 was the start of a three-year association that galvanised the county and transformed us from also-rans to a team that could play – and beat – the best.

The first instalment of a series that will celebrate his time with the county will be published on January 3rd, but I didn't want today, December 30th to pass without noting that it was five years ago that Eddie passed away while on holiday in Jersey.

It was a sad loss for his family in particular, but also for the game of cricket. Barlow's commitment was legendary, and having read the excellent autobiography that my lovely wife got me for Christmas, I'm even more in awe of the man's passion for excellence and his achievements wherever he went.

Derbyshire was one of them, and I hope you'll all check in on January 3rd to read that first instalment. I plan to publish two per week and I hope that you find them as interesting to read as I did to write, thanks to a lot of help from people who were involved.

In between times, assuming little happens tomorrow that is worthy of note, I would like to wish all of you a very happy New Year. England have just retained the Ashes - here's hoping there's similar euphoria around Derbyshire cricket sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!