Tuesday 22 February 2022

Two retained for the 'other compy'

Finger on the pulse straight away with Mickey Arthur, who claimed in a recent interview that we were likely to lose three players to the one that few care about.

Two have been retained by their sides for this year, Wayne Madsen and Leus du Plooy. 

One assumes that Luis Reece will be the third, though his selection may be conditional on proving himself fit once the season is underway. 

We won't see much of his bowling this year, but hopefully that wonderful batting that proved so successful in last year's Blast will come to the fore. Certainly, the thought of he and Shan Masood pinging from either end holds great appeal for the county faithful. 

Luis will need to get his knee into shape though, because Masood is like lightning between the wickets, a highlight of the PSL. 

Other than that, all is quiet on the cricket front, doubtless allowing work to carry on apace behind the scenes. 

May they all stay fit and find their best form early! 

7 comments:

  1. Masood
    Reece
    Madsen
    Du Plooy
    Wood
    Hughes
    Guest
    Thomson
    Lakmal
    Cohen
    Scrimshaw

    Looks a useful t20 side to me though perhaps a spinner short as the above side is reliant on Madsen and Wood supporting Thomson. The top 5 is certainly not short on runs though!

    Critchley and FHP will certainly still be missed though with both bat in the lower order and ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Useful yes. The spinner who turns it away is missing, for me. And there's no real hitting power I am aware of in the lower order. So the top order will need to fire.

      Of course, you have omitted Dal too. On purpose, or an oversight?

      Delete
    2. Dal for me is not ideal for this side. I think his batting and bowling are both more suited to the 4 day competition. I'd consider him the four day version of Hughes to be honest with the latter more suited to white ball.

      That being said we've never seen much of Dal in the Blast, he might be very useful. But as it stands I don't him adding more power hitting than anyone named and I don't see him as a better bowling option. 2nd XI record in t20 nothing special either.

      If it were up to me I'd sign Gareth Delaney and play him ahead of Lakmal, moving him well up the order. Big power hitter and very useful leg spinner too.

      Normally on paper I'd pick Lakmal as I rate him very highly indeed but for the balance of the t20 side I think the overseas needs to be a Critchley equivalent.

      Delete
    3. Fair points well made. My concern as I have written before is that teams will look at us and produce slow tracks. I know I would..

      Maybe a good shout on a match basis, depending on conditions, but nothing MA has said so far has suggested a 3rd overseas

      Delete
    4. I suspect you're right. The two year contract to me suggests a player brought in to be part of the side's spine in all formats.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, if there is a spinner to come in, I think Watt the option. As long as he is World Cup fit, as he does have a weight battle

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing Masood and Dal running between the wickets together, not so much Masood and Godleman though!

    I too suspect Dal will feature in the T20 side.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!