Sunday 26 September 2021

Questions on the Head of Cricket role

I have had a few people drop me emails with regard to the Head of Cricket role and I thought I would respond to those questions on the blog, as they have recurred.

Do I think anyone internally will apply and do I think they might be options?

They are always options, but in an ideal world where we get interest of good standard from outside the club, my preference would be for a new broom. The squad needs a dispassionate look from outside, at players, performance and salaries. Are we getting the maximum bang for our buck from senior players on major salaries? 

In setting up the Academy and Pathway, Dave Houghton did a good job. We look to have some talented players coming through the age groups and I think they have the right man in charge with Daryn Smit. Especially since he will be focusing his weekends now on watching them and/or playing locally, which I would have thought a key element of the role.

There he can see the young talent in match situations and hopefully help them progress with sage advice.

I don't think this is the time for him to get the top job, but don't think Mal Loye or Ajmal Shahzad are either. The former was overlooked when Houghton got the job and I am not convinced he is the right 'fit' for that role. I also think Shahzad is doing a good job with the young bowlers and might be an option down the line, but not just yet.

Ian Bell is understood to be looking for a coaching role. Is he a possibility? 

Yes, though I have no idea what his abilities as a coach may be. Is he a motivator? His name would create interest, for sure, but that isn't the same as turning around our fortunes. He will know a lot of players, has very recent experience and MIGHT prove a decent wildcard pick. 

Do you seriously think Grant Bradburn would leave a role in Pakistan for Derbyshire? 

Why not? Did anyone really think Eddie Barlow would come here, or Dean Jones? I know people in Scotland were surprised when he took that role but he led them to memorable wins and heightened standards. 

Pakistan and its cricket is always in a state of flux and he strikes me as a man who likes a challenge. Were I on the board, I would take the initiative and approach him. 

What about Wayne Madsen as an option? 

Possibly, at some point. Though our greater need for now is his batting. It is not sustainable to be player/coach and only Mark Alleyne ever managed that with success. I think Wayne is too young to pack in as a player and has a couple more good years in him with the right man at the helm. 

Why are you against Chris Adams? 

I never said I was! I just don't think the Derbyshire way of appointing our former players is the right way. Chris is a strong man and good coach, but my impression of his methods is that they are similar to John Morris and Kim Barnett, neither of which ended well (sadly). 

When will this be sorted? 

Closing date is October 1 and I expect them to want to interview soon afterwards. There are contracts to renew or otherwise, overseas players to sign and memberships /sponsorships to sell. 

The sooner we have someone in place the better, for all concerned. 

8 comments:

  1. Well I can think of two good reasons not to appoint Chris Adams. He's been appointed to two county coaching jobs since he left Sussex, where he was mostly the captain rather than coach. The first time he walked out on the club, leaving them in rather a hole, a matter of weeks after signing the contract. And the second saw him preside over a drinking and drug-taking culture which got so out of control that it led directly to the death of one of his players.

    I can't understand why any county would even consider him as coach.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that's quite an accusation to be making....

      Delete
    2. I would say an 'alleged' drink and drugs culture. To say he 'presided' over it suggests him as some form of Godfather. He latterly became aware of it, is my understanding. Was no more complicit than whoever was in charge at Essex in the match fixing period or at Warwickshire when Dermot Reeve et al were taking things they shouldn't.

      But I do take your point. It happened 'on his watch' and the tragedy of Maynard meant that things would never be the same again.

      I don't think he will get the DCCC role. For me, been out of f/c game too long

      Delete
  2. I don’t have your knowledge, Steve, of who might be available and whether they could do the job. But I’d suggest using the experience and knowledge of John Wright and Peter Kirsten (both of whom are still in touch with Derbyshire, and who loved their time here) in this search – and for possible overseas players. I might also add Michael Holding.

    Okay, these guys are retired, but they probably keep a close eye on the cricket world. And they were outstanding players, which gives them a lot of credence and respect. They have the contacts to find out about possible coaches and players

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would John Wright take the role on, or too old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too old for me. Older than Houts and we need someone more au fait with the modern game's demands.

      Delete
  4. Simon Katich another name I'll put out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decent shout, though there might be a conflict with another potential l00 gig.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!