Sunday 30 August 2020

Yorkshire v Derbyshire T20

Yorkshire 220-5 (Root 64, Lyth 61, Fraine 44* McKiernan 2-22)

Derbyshire 121-9 (Critchley 26)

Yorkshire won by 99 runs

After short consideration, I think that was the worst performance in this competition by Derbyshire in a couple of seasons.

We badly lacked the control of Rampaul, at the top and tail of the innings, but the rest did themselves no favours with bowling of erratic length and line. I wouldn't have gone for Conners and Cohen in this format, and their lack of overs confirmed the skipper might not have done either.

The only bowler who emerged with credit was Mattie McKiernan, who strangely didn't finish his allocation. The rest were summarily despatched by Lyth, Root and Fraine, who batted well but were given way too many full tosses and half volleys on which to gorge themselves. Nor was the fielding especially sharp either, with a few mishandlings and some wild throwing.

It was a good toss to win, to be fair, as it is usually better to bat first at Headingley in such matches. From Lyth's opening over of our reply, the writing appeared to be on the wall and neither Madsen or Godleman looked at ease. 

Once they and du Plooy had quickly departed, two to decent catches, it became a case of damage limitation and protecting, to some extent the net run rate. Their fielding looked far sharper than ours, Godleman's blinding catch at cover apart, but it is much easier to field when your bowlers are in the right areas, of course. 

This was our Leicestershire at the County Ground of two summers ago. A major sea change needs to take place for our T20 prospects to come close to those in the four-day game, or for us to come close to the knock out stage this year. It was diametrically opposed to our four day performances and while one eye will, naturally be on next weekend's game at Liverpool, we are much better than this. 

It was poor and I expect to see a reaction on the same ground in front of Sky cameras tomorrow. I doubt Dominic Cork will accept less.

Finally, a word about the stream. I know it was free, but it started late and later went out of focus and required refreshing several times. There is potential for such streams to raise income for counties in the long term, but it needs to be better than this one was. 

12 comments:

1. Tim, Chesterfield30 August 2020 at 17:47

I'm shocked at such a poor show. Absolutely dreadful with very few passages of play where we looked remotely competitive. I really hope we don't offer a repeat tomorrow and embarrass ourselves tomorrow to the amusement of Sky.

ReplyDelete
  2. A complete shambles of a performance all round today. Hope Cork has had some harsh words in that dressing room, simply not good enough Derbyshire.

ReplyDelete
  3. I think this what call "hangover performance" we had a lot of good days in the middle. There have been times we been fighting above our weight on occasions and coming out top. My first reaction is disappointment but still doesn't take off the shine what a great summer been so far.

Cork is person who loves pressure and be interesting see how players react. There where few observations that I noticed. I would not play Cohen in this format at present. Its such difficult game 20/20 and what saw of him in Bob willis cup he can't deliver consistently the right line and length. That without 20/20 pressure he been struggling so would leave him for time being. That no reflection of player as he is one for the future with lots potential!!!

My 2nd point be Billy captaincy today for me I think he didn't have best game with rotation of bowlers. Why didn't Mattie McKiernan bowl 4 overs?? that was poor as he was pick of bowlers.

I also think looking at Conners, Mckiernan and Critchley potentially Melton they need to bowl 2/3 overs in row to get a rhythm. I think you have to be very consistent performer to bowl over wait for another 30 mins for another over. Its hard one especially if gone expensive but we maybe have to be brave on occasions and some we win and some we lose by backing them.

I think in all Derbyshire 20/20 games the biggest part of any game they play will be when they the 1st powerplay today we lost heavily never recovered. I see this as key part of game in 20/20

ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly I feel we have been spoiled with too much cream recently.
    Keep the faith. As Mr Hill at school would say : Learn, adapt and move forward !

ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest worry as always been the bowling in this format. We have no obvious bowler to open or close the innings. Non of the young seamers appear to posses the necessary control or variation to worry top order batsman. Not sure why Mads didn’t bowl with his experience. Pace off Appeared to work better for both teams . Aitchison is a definite miss. Out of all the young seamers he appears to posses the most control. I really fear for us in this comp with the inexperienced bowling attack. Finally we need to get Wood into this team and lengthen the batting order. With 8 bowling options I’d drop. a Seamer and get mads to bowl . Pace off being a better option in general anyway. With our bowling resources we need as many power hitters as we can muster and Wood is certainly one of those.
    Chad Jim

ReplyDelete
  6. One way or another I'd like to see Dal in the team - adds so much in fielding alone and his displays with bat and ball have been encouraging. Also agree with Chad Jim re Madsen bowling. As both Lyth and Root proved - although they were defending a big total - 2/3 overs of tidy spin can add pressure.
    In all the gloom we mustn't forget that Yorkshire have two class openers in this format plus Root. The real crime was presenting Fraine with some easy pickings.

ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agreed about lengthening the batting with Wood. We can afford to do that with so many bowlers. I'd also bring in Dal. He's lively and worth his place on his fielding alone. Hughes seems off form at the moment, so I'd leave him out.

ReplyDelete
  8. Tim, Chesterfield31 August 2020 at 10:04

Dal should be playing.

His medium pacers are likely to be as effective as anyone else given the options we currently have.

I'd give Alex Hughes another game as I think he has a little more in the bank. We might as well go back to the tactic of the past when Madsen chucks a couple down early too.

Frankly with so little in the way of T20 bowling nous we have little option but to bat down to 11 and hope to chase /contain whatever is on the table.

My side today-

Godleman
    Reece
    Madsen
    du Plooy
    Wood
    Critchley
    Hughes
    FHP
    Dal
    McKiernan

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guest can’t play against lancs so has to be Harvey but other than that I’d agree fully.
      Chad Jim

Delete
    2. Tim, Chesterfield31 August 2020 at 13:16

I didn't realise that, but makes sense when you think about it (which I didn't!).

Hopefully Corky thinks likewise. I'm not one to advocate ripping up the plans after a single game but equally if something hasn't worked and doesn't look like it will it should addressed.

Delete
  9. Tim, Chesterfield31 August 2020 at 18:17

Glad to see Dal in but not sure about Barnes for FHP. His bowling looks as hittable as the others and is he as good with the bat?

ReplyDelete
  10. Thirty years ago today Derbyshire won the Sunday league

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!