Wednesday 25 October 2023

Dal signs on for next three seasons!

Anuj Dal for another three seasons? That'll do nicely.

I heard stories at the end of the season that one or two counties were very interested in the services of the Derbyshire all rounder. My concern - which I kept to myself, because it wasn't common knowledge - was that in building a new squad, we might lose one of the stalwarts of the current one.

Thankfully, Nuj has opted to stay, signing a two-year contract extension and perhaps be a part of something special, starting from next year. He will be the first to admit that his batting wasn't quite at its best last season, but I have every confidence that it will return to the glories of 2022 next year.

His bowling has improved every year and he is now the man to bowl the 'Palladino' overs when things get tough. He can be relied upon to bowl an accurate line and length, wobble it around and restrict the scoring rate. But he also takes wickets and is a very valuable member of the side.

He is also the best fielder in what is generally a good fielding side. Eminently watchable, thoroughly engaging and an invaluable member of the side, Derbyshire will be much better over the next three seasons with him in the side

I hope he can force his way into T20 plans, because his skill set would be invaluable in that format. If he can regularly find the lines and lengths required, he would be a very good asset to the team.

A lovely bit of news to start the day. I don't think anyone will argue with that!

8 comments:

  1. Great news, I too was worried he might leave us. I always enjoy watching Nuj play, he never gives less than 100 per cent effort. I don't think there is a better fielder in county cricket and his enthusiasm has to be infectious. He also a highly articulate young man who I feel is captaincy material in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great news.....Anuj has developed into a top all round cricketer for Derbyshire and we are a more balanced side with him in it. As you say Steve a great way to start the day ! Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the fan of one of the many counties I think would be improved by the addition of Anuj, I congratulate Derbyshire on retaining a fine cricketer who also - and I think this is important - comes across as an excellent bloke as well. Agree with Old Amateur above that he looks like a leader and a fine role model for young cricketers to me. (Lancs fan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to have him, for what should be the peak years of his career. He bowled really well at Scarborough and Worcester and when he's on a roll, takes wickets for not many runs. An average of 34 with the bat and 30 with the ball, is up there with the best county all rounders. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he can bat as well as the season before last and bowl as well as last season then we'll have a good season and he'll get a Lions callup. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since Mickey told him what his role was, Nuj has developed in to a fine cricketer indeed. It's fantastic news about his contract extension.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim, Chesterfield26 October 2023 at 21:16

    I temper my pleasure with the nagging annoyance that he randomly blocked me on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent news. He is a valuable member of the squad and has developed over the last few seasons into an excellent all rounder. Look forward to seeing him in the side for many years to come.

    Nudger

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!