Thursday 16 February 2023

A change to the advertised..

With the cricket season 50 days away, excitement is building among supporters around the country. Over the coming weeks, the ' big Spring jacket' will be brought out and checked, as will the location of the flasks, gloves and hats that are de rigeur for the start of summer cricket follower.

I was among them, having planned a trip to Derby in April for an early home fixture, one to Durham for my usual 'home' game and my attendance of the Chesterfield cricket festival, the date having worked for me for the first time in a number of years.

Alas, yours truly will be getting surgery in April - the date as yet unconfirmed - which will require a hospital stay of 7 to 10 days, followed by convalescence of 2 to 3 months and no driving. So it looks like my cricket watching will be entirely stream-based this year, at least until the tail end of the season.

What it means for the blog? At this stage I'm unsure but it will be dictated by how I feel. There will be a point at which it has run its natural course and various factors will determine when that will be.

Hopefully it isn't yet, but this is an early warning for there being an interruption to the advertised programme this summer.

I will prepare my season preview in advance and I hope, at least, to do a header for each match, so that comments on the play can go into their rightful place, much as I have done during our annual holidays in previous summers.

Time will tell, but I felt it fair to let you know that coverage may not always be as detailed as in previous years, especially in early season.

But if I can, I will.

13 comments:

  1. Best wishes for the procedure, Peakfan, and for a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck PF, very sad to hear this blog will run its course its an essential reading during the season for many, not just Derbyshire followers, all county followers.

    not sure if it would help, but i'm sure plenty would be happy to do 'guest' pieces, to keep things going and relieve your burden.

    Essex Fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all goes well with the surgery Steve. As for the blog, you have to do what's best for you. Needless to say, it will be a sad day when it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a good recovery from the op, Steve, and that you're able to continue your brilliant and insightful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the op PF and look forward to when you are able to resume the blog which so many Derbyshire followers rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Steve,

    Hope your surgery is successful and you are soon able to resume your excellent work. You are in my prayers.

    God bless,

    KEITH BAMFORD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes for your op and a speedy recovery PF. I know you are read far and wide and many look forward to your knowledgeable and considered comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope all goes well Steve. Many thanks for all you do. Please only resume when you are fit and well to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all goes well and you're back fighting fit soon . This blog will certainly be missed when you finally hang up your keyboard. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peakfan, I’m sorry to hear about your operation and wishing you all the best for a very speedy recovery. I am sure you will be back writing your brilliant blog very soon. I’m sure I can speak for all your readers, do let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Clay Cross Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve,
    Good luck with the op mate. Sure you are already aware, but there are many of us out here who take a lot of pleasure in your musings. I know it's only a sport and there are many, many more important issues, but that is the beauty of your blog sir - it takes us away from endless bad news, to something we cricket lovers can all relate to, look forward to, and enjoy.
    Take care
    Dave, Wirral

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chesterfield blue20 February 2023 at 08:00

    You take care of yourself Peakfan, and don't worry about this blog. Hope everything goes well with the op and Derbyshire winning can give you a quick pick up

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sussex fan here who enjoys your posts and thus follows Derbyshire all year. Get well soon and I look forward to the posts even if based on the stream

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!