Sunday 8 August 2021

Derbyshire v Yorkshire T20

Derbyshire 108-6 (Hudson-Prentice 38*, Sullivan 4-11)

Yorkshire 109-2 in 8.4 overs (Fraine 69*)

Yorkshire won by eight wickets 

I have to admit that a stark sign of my current disaffection for Derbyshire cricket is that I didn't bother watching today's stream. That is a first for me, but it doesn't appear like I missed a great deal. I expected a defeat and like today's rain in Glasgow, it duly came. 

Another decent knock from Fynn Hudson-Prentice took us over three figures, but the score never seemed enough in a shortened game for me and we were blown away by Will Fraine, another of those players who must wish he could carry our bowling around in his cricket bag.

It isn't fair for me to comment, but please let me know what you thought below.

Thanks. 

6 comments:

1. I think this is a bit harsh.

For an inexperienced batting lineup to go at 10 an over isn't a poor effort and they set a reasonable target.

Unfortunately Will Fraine was seeing it like a beach ball and carted everyone.

We've put in plenty of shockers this season but this wasn't that bad. For all the players Yorks were missing they've a few very, very good prospects in that young team who 2ill go far as well as a smattering of experience like Coad, Fraine Ballance and Pillans.

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think to lose a 10 over game with 8 balls to spare is a hammering.

Fraine must have batted well, or did we bowl badly? I don't know on this occasion as family commitments took precedence.

I didn't say it was poor. Merely not enough, as Chesterfield is a small ground.

Delete
  2. Tim, Chesterfield8 August 2021 at 21:49

There wasn't much quality on show really, other than Frane. Otherwise it was little better than a top level club match, a couple of catches aside.

At least I've seen some cricket for the first time since 2019 and most likely my last until 2022.

ReplyDelete
  3. The standard of both sides wasn't great and of course we lost a vital toss. Fraine doesn't have the best career stats and we made him look like a world beater. Quite a healthy crowd for the slog. I wonder how many had gone home long before it started. Kris.

ReplyDelete
  4. We did well posting over 100, with Came, Wagstaff and FHP batting well. FHP hit four sixes!

Dave Fletcher and the Yorkshire co-commentator both agreed it would be a tough target. But Fraine was on fire, and we lost.

ReplyDelete
  5. The difference was the Sullivan over: we didn't produce a similar 'good' over in the 2nd innings, and had it not happened in the 1st innings we would have set a very challenging target. Our target was challenging but the 1st over in the 2nd innings set the tone - it had been spin to win, so why not start with Thomson when six hits would have been most difficult. Instead FHP delivered at least 3 balls in the slot that disappeared for boundaries. Some promise in a good first half, but poor bowling, captaincy and management cost us. It was almost like we were happy having done half a job, or resigned to defeat following the first over.

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!