Wednesday 19 May 2021

Derbyshire v Durham preview

More changes for Derbyshire for the game starting against Durham tomorrow.

Luis Reece is out for a period of rehabilitation on a knee injury, which is only fair to the player. Billy Stanlake is also out with injury, which scarce bodes well for the long summer ahead.

Brooke Guest looks like he finds himself another new role as Billy Godleman's opening partner, while there are welcome returns to the squad for Mikey Cohen, Ben Aitchison and Sam Conners.

I suspect the final decision in the announced twelve will be between Melton and Cohen as Derbyshire go into the game with this squad:

Godleman, Guest, Madsen, du Plooy, Critchley, Hughes, Hosein, Hudson-Prentice, Cohen, Aitchison, Conners, Melton.

There is a better look to that order and for me, I hope Guest makes a good fist of opening. I feel Luis Reece would be better off down the order, but I would also like to see Alex Hughes do well. It is a team of square pegs in square holes, which is always better than the alternative.

They will need to be at their best, because Durham are pretty much at full strength. England man Mark Wood will open with Chris Rushworth, who became the county's record wicket-taker in the last game. With Ben Raine also in the side, it forms a potent attack, while Aussie Cameron Bancroft returns to bolster the batting.

Their squad :

Bancroft, Bedingham, Borthwick, Burnham, Carse, Coughlin, Eckersley, Raine, Rushworth, Lees, Poynter, Salisbury, Trevaskis, Wood.

The forecast isn't great and on recent form it is the only reason that I predict a draw in this game. We have to play with greater confidence all round before I can show greater positivity in the result.

Yet there is talent in this side and a good few players with reputations to enhance. No better time to do that than on their own turf in front of their own supporters.

Here's hoping we can turn it around soon. 

9 comments:

  1. Stanlake injured already, this signing isn't going to come off is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peakfan,

    It is very unlike you to be so downbeat. But I share your concerns. I don't think we are that far away and the batting especially will come good (if left alone) If that is the last we see of young Wood he can feel very hard done by.

    My thoughts on the dreaded hundred are that it is a backdoor way to cull the counties and currently ourselves and Leicestershire will be top of that particular league

    I have no wish to sit through season after season of struggle that we have seen in the last 2 games.

    If the T20 is as bad as last year and we cannot compete in the 4 day game then things will not look good and questions around what's the point will be difficult to answer.

    Just a thought is it worth recruiting a Palladino from somewhere on a short term loan?

    To be fair to our Management team I to have been fooled by our batting this year and we put our eggs in the youth seam bowling basket Which has not paid off.

    In terms of tommorow, if we are facing Wood, Rushworth and Bancroft I think I will watch from behind the sofa

    Sad and worrying times

    Rob in Essex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob we need Corky to come in and galvanise this group!

      They wouldn't do that. For one thing I dont think Tony would be fit enough, for another I don't think he would want to and for a third it would be an admission they made a mistake.

      I would not be surprised to lose Stanlake before the T20 though. Whether they could replace him is a moot point..

      Delete
    2. Sorry, grammar is not my strong point. Loan a 12th Man experienced bowler from somewhere a year or two back Surrey had hundreds!

      Delete
  3. Tim, Chesterfield19 May 2021 at 22:06

    Lose Stanlake? How do you mean?

    We've only just found him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stanlake out for the season, I wonder whether there will be a search for a replacement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piece on the club site says so, Andrew. But it will be a challenge. A lot are already committed, or don't want to travel in these times. Indians can't play any other T20 bar IPL, much as I would love Bumrah! Pakistan there will be travel issues I guess.

      If I were betting I would reckon a Kiwi or Saffer, but no idea who.

      Delete
  5. Stanlake out for the season after one game what sort of due diligence did the club do on him before they signed him?

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!