Wednesday 12 June 2019

Fynn Hudson-Prentice signs three-year deal

I am delighted to read this morning that Derbyshire has signed the former Sussex all rounder, Fynn Hudson-Prentice on a three-year deal, until the end of 2021.

I have watched him on several occasions this season and been impressed. At 23 he is a cricketer of talent, one who should only get better in that period.

Based on what I have seen, I would say that his batting is his stronger suit and he has impressive strokes around the wicket. He scores at a decent rate too, suggesting that supporters will enjoy watching him.

Two centuries for the second team have helped his cause, though I would say that his bowling is medium-fast, perhaps just above the pace of Tony Palladino, rather than quick, as announced on Twitter. He is accurate and appears to have the useful habit of nicking a wicket here and there.
He is a good cricketer and since his release by Sussex appears to have improved within the MCC Young Cricketers programme, where he was undoubtedly known to Steve Kirby and Dave Houghton.

I have long felt that cricketers generally come into their own between the ages of 23 and 26. There are plenty of examples of this in our history and I hope that Fynn is the latest of these. He will prove an asset in all forms of the game and is likely to get game time in the Vitality Blast, where his versatility will be very useful to Dominic Cork.

It also offers another option in the four-day game and puts pressure on the top six to deliver. Healthy competition for places is never a bad thing.

I wish Fynn well and look forward to seeing his continued development in Derbyshire colours in the seasons ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Pleasing signing. I feel for Tom Wood though as he should have been next in line for me. Good luck to the lad and welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mark. Tom has nothing more to prove at the club and he deserves a crack for the remainder of the summer and at least next year

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!