Wednesday 27 February 2019

A chat with the President

I had the pleasure of a chat with club legend and last year's President, Edwin Smith last week. He called to wish me well with my forthcoming hand surgery and it was a pleasure, as always, to talk cricket with him.

Even more remarkably, Edwin told me that he had made the final of the Derbyshire Masters snooker competition, which is open to players over the age of 50.

Edwin is 85.

That puts into context how good a snooker player he has been, irrespective of his cricket ability. One of the thrills of my sporting life was playing a couple of frames against him last year. I managed to win the first frame, then Edwin told me, with a smile, that he would put his glasses on for the second.

I was soundly beaten, but it didn't matter. I just enjoyed being on the same table as a local sporting legend.

Edwin enjoyed his year as club president and regular readers will know of my pleasure that the club reverted to its former policy of the senior surviving capped player as president. That being the case, I hope that Edwin is followed into the role by the great Harold Rhodes.

While Edwin is the last surviving county player with over a thousand first class wickets, Harold would undoubtedly have got there but for a premature retirement to take up a more lucrative position outside the first class game.

Like Edwin, he is very well known in the local area and after retiring from playing he became a very respected umpire. And what a bowler he was.. pace, bounce, movement, the lot.

I hope that in the coming weeks I am able to report on Harold becoming president.

It would be well deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!