Wednesday 10 February 2010

News from around and about...

Hello again, and welcome back to the blog.

With little news to report I've had a quiet two or three nights, well aware that the imminent season should leave plenty to write about.

It was good to read in today's Telegraph that Devon Malcolm is planning to become a first class umpire. I'm sure he will make a good fist of things and I look forward to seeing Dev raise the index finger with a shout of "You're history!" Or maybe not...

I was following tonight's cricket in South Africa and was a little baffled by the tactics of the Titans captain. When, in Albie Morkel, you have one of the most destructive batsmen in the game, it makes no sense whatsoever to hold him back until the start of the 19th over. That he made an unbeaten 13 in the last two is immaterial and they lost quite easily. While Jacques Rudolph made 50, they came at only a run a ball, too slow in that format, especially when someone like Morkel is still to bat.

Call me old fashioned, but surely you want to give your biggest hitters the maximum time at the crease? If they come off you'll score a shedload of runs, if they don't you can rebuild with your conventional players. I would be very surprised if John Morris batted Robin Peterson at 8 in the T20 this summer...

Speaking of the T20, I'm not especially happy with the pursuit of franchise riches in India. With only six franchises out there, all of them rich beyond the dreams of our county sides, the only outcome is that we will have a super six who will be able to afford anything and anyone and will win everything. No prizes for guessing that Surrey are following Hampshire and that Durham are also interested. The others will come from Nottinghamshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Middlesex. Test or one-day grounds all, now there's a surprise.

Somerset may have signed Pollard and have the talented Kieswetter and Trescothick, but I don't see a major Indian franchise rushing to partner sleepy Taunton. The same goes, sadly, for us. I haven't a clue whether Keith Loring is currently in Delhi or Bombay, but I would be gobsmacked if we were of major interest to the Indians and I say that as a fan.

I have serious concerns about the way the game is going and I feel that the powers that be may use this as leverage to marginalise the smaller counties and have the elite set up that some of them have wanted for some time.

Which, of course, would make it all the more sweet if we could upset a few sides this summer, especially the so-called bigger guns. While I would assume that Surrey and Sussex will start favourites in Division Two of the Championship, I still think that given the rub of the green that we are a match for them.

Let's just hope that optimism translates into good performances when the action starts.

Back soon!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more regarding the Royal2020 'alliance'. For the first time I'm starting to worry about T20 cricket, I used to see it as a bit of a laugh but now its getting way to serious. Especially with Modi trying to get County Championship fixtures postponed so counties can compete in his champions league, I guess we will really start to see where teams loyalties lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we MAY NOT BE ONE OF THE six teams to get a alliance with a india team,but there is nothing stopping us getting a alliance with a australian team. no GOOD folks moaning about 2020 cricket, because
    its hear to say for a good while, its want most of the public want to see. check out attendances and compare them to other forms of the cricket.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!