Sunday 10 January 2010

It's freezing, but...

I've been pre-season training this weekend. OK, it started a little earlier than usual, but with a housebound weekend due to the weather I decided to have morning and night sessions on the Wii Fit and half an hour shovelling ice and snow from the drive.

It was while doing the latter, with the temperature this weekend somewhere between minus five and minus twelve, that the realisation hit me that Derbyshire's first match is just eighty-eight days away. I can only hope that it warms up in between times. Last week a few of our club members went to the nearby Lake of Menteith and had a game of cricket on the ice there, which currently has ice that is seven inches thick. It played better than our average track, to be honest.

I read today that Wavell scored 95 for Jamaica against the Windward Islands in a game that they look set to win easily. His top scoring knock came after left arm spinner Nikita Miller returned the extraordinary figures of 26-14-28-7. After our season ended and before we signed Robin Peterson, I remember someone one here or perhaps on In Morris We Trust suggesting Miller as a Kolpak option. I don't think he is in Peterson's class as a spinner, but with 140 first class wickets at 19 it is hard to see how he cannot get into the West Indian side. I suspect that he is flattered by some helpful tracks and batsmen who like to hit spin bowlers on to the next island, but his figures are decent by any standards.

I've been trying to find out about Paul Borrington's season in Australia but Midland Guildford don't seem to have a web master as their site hasn't worked for months. If I find anything out I'll let you know.

Anyway, the countdown starts here folks. It may be freezing out there, but sunny days and (hopefully) success may lie just around the corner.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!