Saturday 1 November 2008

Another quiet week

Well, just under half of those who voted think Stuart Law would be a good acquisition for next year.

Me too, but if there was a younger model out there I'd be more tempted. There's life in some of those old dogs though. Look at the impact of Shaun Udal last year and Ian Salisbury. Law may not be a whippet these days but fielding at slip and passing on the benefits of his experience would be a doddle for him. It may be inspired work too, but lets discuss that one if/when there's any news.

Elsewhere, Waggy is off to Hong Kong and the sixes so we'll wish him good luck with that. They've a good squad and could do well. I'm not normally that bothered, to be perfectly honest, but Wagg deserves his selection and could be a real asset out there.

Its the final of the Stanford series tonight. The multi-million match or however they are billing it.

Whoopy doop.

The fact that the main talking point thus far has been the WAGs and Mr Stanford tells its own story. The wickets are low and slow and the cricket singularly dull, especially so for 20/20. They have been great tracks for nurdling and for dibbly dobbly bowlers. I was left with the feeling that Wavell would have been hard to get away and Langaeveldt nigh impossible. Unless Gayle has one of his periodic blinders tonight, I expect England to win and head home with big cheques to guarantee their futures.

Outside of the players, however, who cares?

We'd our club AGM this week and first look at the stats for the year. I averaged 17 with the bat and 27 with the ball in 20/20 this year, including a strike rate of just 6 an over from my bowling. I'm less mobile in the field than I used to be (I had my 50th a couple of weeks back) but am available, if selected, for Derbyshire next year...

Mind you, I was also re-elected skipper for the ninth year in a row, so it will have to be around my club commitments!

Until next time. No poll this week. At this stage I can't think of something worthwhile, unless its "Will you be buying Christmas presents from the Club shop"?

Hopefully next week. Any ideas for a poll- let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!