Thursday, 13 August 2026

Holiday thoughts

I didn't see too much of the Hampshire game, as we are on holiday. 

Derbyshire won, but it was effectively a game within a game. Hampshire had to win in a limited timescale and we should not ignore the likelihood that the result would have been very different had they not needed to do so. 

Once again the Derbyshire batting was good, Andersson outstanding, Came and Guest impressive. I would like to see Harry convert more of his half centuries into tons, because 28 times he has gone past fifty and failed to do so. 'Drink at the well' as George Gunn liked to say. When the sun is high and the outfield fast, make hay and make the bowlers toil...

I remain staggered that we didn't do more in the One Day Cup to promote the cause of the work going on in our pathway. It was the ideal opportunity to do so and going with our strongest side didn't turn out too well, did it?  We won two matches that we really should have done, given the opposition, then another when the opponents were shackled by the need to score the required runs far more quickly than we had - Duckworth Lewis gone wild, if you will. 

I am also puzzled. I have heard reports from several people that the chairman stood up at the members meeting and said that the club's stance was that the One Day Cup was a development competition and was to be approached accordingly. Yet Mickey Arthur, in his end of tournament interview, said that 'as long as I'm here we will pick our best team' and try to win the silverware. 

If the chairman said what he did - and I have only anecdotal evidence of this that others there might verify - then it suggests a major difference of opinion, which cannot bode well.

As I wrote recently, my concern is that the youngsters coming through the Pathway need to see a route of progression. Their parents certainly do. Is cricket, specifically Derbyshire cricket, a bona fide career path? Or are they just going to be chucked on the 'scrap heap' at 19/20. 

To hear Mickey Arthur talk about 'our young players' is akin to me of someone scraping their nails down a chalkboard. Nick Potts isn't 'young' at 24, Martin Andersson certainly isn't at 29. Matt Stewart is, at 19 but he never got a game. Joe Hawkins is too, but got a call only when the wolves started circling about a lack of opportunity among the club support. That Mitch Wagstaff, at 22, only got a late call up suggests to me that a decision is already made on his future. Meanwhile, yes, Yusuf Bin Naeem had a few games, but why not take pressure off the lad, tell him he was in for the tournament and batting three? Where he normally does, lessening the pressure and giving him a chance to shine? 

There was nothing, absolutely nothing, to learn about Ross Whiteley and Wayne Madsen. It appeared that we could go without an overseas player, but then we needed one, so he 'made himself available'. Seriously, what is going on? 

My honest (and irreversible) opinion, like it or not, is that after coaching at elite level for years, Mickey Arthur doesn't 'get' young players, their pressures and the challenges in coming through. In his interviews he always talks about 'reflecting' but surely he cannot do that and consider many of his calls the correct ones? And shouldn't an 'elite' coach be getting these calls right, first time? 

He talks of not being clear enough with 'death' plans. Lads, chuck it in the block hole, wide or otherwise, still the hardest ball to hit. Mix up your pace and if you are going to bowl short, do so to the long boundary. There you go....

What does Mickey say to Matt Stewart, who has taken wickets in the Derbyshire Premier League and in the second team, when we offer a short term deal to a lad whose only real difference is in taking less wickets bowling with the other arm? Don't get me wrong, I hope Will Rogers does well, but at 23 he is the product of another club's system. At what point do we think about the impact of such a decision on those coming through our own? Any arguments about not having the money to offer a short-term deal to a young player have been blown out of the water. 

Again, is 23 young? For what it is worth, if shooting yourself in the foot were an Olympic sport, Mickey Arthur might just have become undisputed gold medalist...

I played cricket, coached youngsters and selected teams for well over forty years. Not once did I think 'he isn't taking wickets in the twos...I know, I will put him in the first team, instead of the lad who is. 

I know for sure that there would have been disparaging comments had I done so and deservedly so. 

I hope there are big conversations about these things going on at board level. More than almost anything else at the club, this concerns me right now. With as rich a crop of young talent as we have had in years currently coming through our Pathway, we have to make sure that the person at the top - regardless of name or reputation - actually realises the enormity of some of these actions.

If he doesn't, the long term cost and damage to the club, reputationally and otherwise, is far greater than paying him off. 

14 comments:

  1. I was at the meeting and can confirm what the Chairman said. There again Tom Poynton said that overall the season had been "2 steps forward but 3 steps back" I've got to admit I haven't spotted the first part of his quote. Questions were asked about MA and his absence from the meeting. It was explained he was unavailable on a match day. Well don't have a meeting on a match day then !! As usual it was all a complete waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having attended the Member’s forum I can confirm that the chairman said that the club's stance was that the One Day Cup was a development competition. I could not believe what I was hearing. It was my cue to leave the meeting.
    Tom Poynton also rambled on about academy players though , of course, the only example he could use was Nick Potts. I was hoping for some honesty from the board but it was sadly lacking. Beck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said PF Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the interview with Mickey Arthur, and was concerned that his view of 'young' players seemed to be targetted at 23/24 year olds. Seems to be a disconnect with the board!
    There is a crop of younger players who have been really successful at CAG level recently, who just aren't getting a chance. Unlike their counterparts at other counties.
    Realistically, the second team don't play enough cricket, much less than most other counties, for any of the promising youngsters to try and bridge the gap, and develop their games at that higher level. That must have impacted opportunities for the likes of Yusuf Bin Naeem, Mitch Wagstaff, Will Tarrant etc
    Looking back at second team scorecards over the last couple of years, you have the obvious one in Matt Stewart, but players like Rohan Vallabhaneni, Joe Hall, Jake Green, Niall McHale all performing when given a chance, but not getting enough game time to really show their potential.
    If they only have limited game time at a higher level, how are these players supposed to develop, and longer term give Derbyshire supporters the connection to the team through locally developed talent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with all that Steve, worrying times. At least we had Theo Brown involved doing twelth man duties last week, which seems even more bizarre given our reluctance to give our own youngsters a proper chance.

    If it were possible, I'd give Daryn Smit the job now if he'd want it. That could only happen if MA walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article PF.

    I know people will say we can't afford to pay MA off.

    But I think we need to think about the cost of not paying him off. We can't do two more years of this, surely?

    Poor performances, a flat team and (an increasingly impressive thanks to Smit et al) development pathway to...nowhere. The board, the coach and the fans are all disconnected right now. And we seem to reach this position every season around about now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are about as far from being a well run club as you can get.
    No real prospect of any change so expect more of the same for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the club is very well run, Ian, with the evidence being keeping their heads consistently above water.

      I am less confident about the cricket side, which is the preserve of the Head of Cricket. From this distance, it is a mess and there are too many questionable decisions being made for comfort

      Delete
    2. I don’t know if you know the answer to this but if Derbyshire had spent more on players in the past, funded by debt, would they have been able to draw down hundred money to clear that debt? I’ve read that hundred money can be used for specific projects and debt reduction but not for player salaries. Does this mean our past financial prudence is being ‘penalised’? Craig

      Delete
    3. No, is my understanding, Craig, unless they were very creative with the accountancy

      While paying down past borrowings is allowed, the ECB blocks clubs from using these capital funds to cover routine, day-to-day operational costs or subsidize player and staff wage inflation.

      I would assume this would include historic debt caused by over inflated salaries

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the reply. Craig.

      Delete
  8. I think Micky Arthur’s background and experiences are worth reflecting on. He has spent much of his career in very high-profile, intense positions, and I wonder whether that has shaped his instinct to focus on positive messages, key quotes and phrases such as “national treasures”. It is understandable, and I say that warmly, because communication at that level brings its own pressures.

    However, I do think there is an opportunity for him to change the way he communicates with members and supporters. We could probably find quite a few amusing quotes that make the headlines, but I suspect many members would respond better to someone communicating more like Ryan Campbell or Paul Farbrace — people who are willing to speak plainly and not put a fancy wrapper around the real issues.

    There were certainly parts of the interview that I found interesting and, in some cases, completely agree with. But I thought some of the comments around young players were somewhat out of line with the hopes and expectations that clubs and supporters naturally have for those players. I am all for putting out a competitive team, and Micky is quite clear that he would pick Madsen ahead of Bin Naeem because he believes that gives the team a better chance of winning. I understand that argument.

    But it does raise a wider question. Would Hayden have been unearthed if injuries had not occurred and Abbas had been available? If not, would the plan really have been for him to play only one-day cricket? And, if so, how much would that have delayed his development?

    For me, that is the real issue. It isn’t about criticising Micky for wanting to win. We absolutely should want to win. It is about making sure that winning today does not unnecessarily come at the expense of developing the players who need opportunities to become the players who can help us win tomorrow.

    I think Micky has a huge amount to offer, and I genuinely believe his experience can be a major benefit. This isn’t about asking him to change who he is or questioning his commitment. It is about adapting his approach to the club and its supporters. In particular, I think we need to think much more carefully about workloads, player development and how we create opportunities for younger players without compromising competitiveness.

    Micky has earned the respect to be listened to, but I also think he needs to listen to what members are saying. A little less positive spin, a little more straight talking, and a clearer explanation of how short-term selection decisions fit into the long-term development plan would, in my view, go a long way.

    I am very much behind Micky and want him to succeed. But I do think this is an area where he needs to change, and I hope he sees that as an opportunity rather than criticism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very well explained and reasoned appraisal Gary, and one with which I largely agree. Ian

      Delete
    2. Fair comments, Gary, well made points. I don't agree with all of them, but we all have our opinions

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!