Thursday 18 January 2024

Big news day!

So today is one of two momentous pieces of news.

The first is that it has now been confirmed that Mickey Arthur has left his role in Pakistan and will from now on be focusing all of his attention on Derbyshire. I think that we can all be grateful for that and I am hopeful that the season ahead of us will be where his work thus far comes to fruition, certainly in terms of sustained levels of performance.

According to The Cricketer, his contract with Derbyshire is for another 3 years, whereas  I (and Dean who sent me the link, thanks mate!) thought it was for two. I can only assume there is an optional extra year and that will be very much dependent on results in the intervening period.

What impact it has on any plans for our second overseas role I don't know. I guess the obvious one is that he will not know so quickly who is excluded from their World Cup plans, but I am certain he will have several irons in the fire and one of them will come through in due course.

The second piece of news? Probably more personal, but I will be retiring on June 19. I have brought it forward from the end of September, but I have worked long enough and I have to admit retiring with a summer ahead of me holds considerable appeal.

Especially when that retirement allows me to fulfil a long standing desire to attend the Chesterfield Cricket Festival - or at least the Yorkshire four-day game part of it.

So at the same time as completing the paperwork for work, my hotel is booked and all I need now is for the weather to be kind and, of course, Derbyshire to produce a good performance!

Hopefully I will see plenty of old and new friends on that trip. I'm not sure how many times I will be able to do that now, but this is something I have wanted to do for some time. Since I like Chesterfield as a town, there will be plenty to keep me occupied even if the weather is less favourable!

Looks like I will be keeping my fingers crossed for some time...

6 comments:

  1. Great news re Mickey. If our second overseas is going to be split for CC and T20 then presumably the second player for the CC can be announced as soon as MA has made his decision.
    Congrats on your well deserved pending retirement. I took early retirement 8 years ago at 56 so that amongst other things I could get full value from my DCCC life membership and also follow England on overseas tours. This time next week I'll be in Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the upcoming retirement!

    Hopefully good news with Mickey focussing on the job - feels very optimistic for the coming year (although I thought that last season...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Peakfan, yes two great pieces of news. Congratulations on your retirement, I packed in work a few years ago at 54 and not missed it once. You will have a great time. Whilst we live in London we have frequent trips back to Chesterfield, a wonderful place so you will have a lovely time.
    As for MA, that is great news too.
    Enjoy your retirement and no doubt see at the Chesterfield Festival and maybe even a trip to Lords!
    Best wishes Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best in your retirement Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for a long and happy retirement, Peakfan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best Wishes on the retirement, I knocked it on the head at 56 with no regrets . Having Mickey fully aligned to Derbyshire is indeed good news .

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!