Saturday 9 October 2021

Weekend Blog

Enjoying a nice day off yesterday, I spent a pleasant few hours watching Scotland play Papua New Guinea in a T20 in Dubai. Earlier I had watched Ireland demolished by the United Arab Emirates in another warm up match for the T20 World Cup, but the Scots hold considerable 'Derbyshire' interest.

Ali Evans was bowling, while Calum MacLeod (quaintly called 'Maclee-od' by one commentator) not only saw his team to victory with the bat but bowled a few tight overs of off spin, which slowed their opponents down. He started his career as a handy seamer, but suggestions that his arm wasn't always straight saw it largely go by the wayside.

There was a good finishing knock too from Richie Berrington, who very nearly had a trial with Derbyshire during John Morris' time. I put him in touch with the then Derbyshire coach and a trial was arranged but fell through due to his Scottish commitments.  It was a pity, because he is a decent cricketer and was then in a rich vein of form.

It is always a pleasure to watch George Munsey bat and as someone commented early in the week, he would be a one-day asset to Derbyshire or most sides.

The powerful left-hander led off in typical style and is in a rich vein of form just now. Whether he could fit into a Derbyshire batting line up at full strength is a moot point.

In today's Scotland game against Namibia, both Mark Watt and Safyaan Sharif are on display, so there is plenty of Derbyshire interest out there. Only tarnished by a commentator who bellows into the microphone at any activity. Jim Laker, he isn't... 

Much will depend on winter activity at the Incora County Ground, both in the recruitment of the Head of Cricket and any possible departures.

I'd recommend the Free Sports Channel 64 on Freeview. The South African domestic T20 is going just now and there are some fine players on view, our own Leus du Plooy soon to be among them, playing for South Western Districts. 

6 comments:

  1. When can we expect an announcement on the new coach, Peakfan?

    Cheers

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that interviews are taking place through this week, Mark. I would like to think we might have a new HOC by the coming weekend.

      I just hope, as I have written before, that the RIGHT man is appointed, not the easy man. The club deserves a top appointment to galvanise the squad and present a robust strategy for the next few years..

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply, I also hope it's a quality appointment but having supported the county for decades I'm not entirely convinced it will be. Fingers crossed we're pleasantly surprised in the coming weeks

      Delete
  2. I hope so. If we got one of my top two appointments I would be confident in progress. But I have no idea if either has applied so, like you must keep my fingers crossed for the right result..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seen Will Pucovski mentioned as a potential overseas signing on here. Just seen today he's suffered a 10th concussion so he may have to consider a change of career lest he suffer further head injuries and end up with long term damage (if he hasn't already).

    Makes me worry for Hosein given a concussion can make you more likely to suffer further concussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a wonderful player but that is way too many concussions and there is a much bigger picture than cricket.

      Likewise I have concerns for Harvey. I hope he is OK but he has had a big warning there..

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!