Wednesday 12 May 2021

Essex v Derbyshire preview

Somewhere down in Essex tonight, opening batsman Nick Browne will cradle his bat and dream of his habitual runs against Derbyshire.

When paths have crossed in recent years, Browne is one of those players who make big runs against us. Alex Lees at Durham is another and the Essex man has 'drunk at the well' a few too many times for comfort.

Tomorrow he might face the quickest Derbyshire attack in decades, if Billy Stanlake, Dustin Melton and Mikey Cohen all feature. They are all in the thirteen and I wasn't too far away with my suggestion the other night. When I saw Ben Aitchison in the Seconds I knew he was out of contention, likewise Tom Wood.

The thirteen :

Godleman, Reece, du Plooy, Madsen, Critchley, Hosein, Hughes, Hudson- Prentice, Guest, Cohen, Conners, Melton, Stanlake.

My guess is that the final eleven will be down to a decision over Hughes/Guest and Conners/Cohen. I think seven batsmen is the way to go, as much because of our not needing six steamers as anything. 

Essex are reigning county champions and a fine side. They have been a little off the boil though and will be anxious to return to winning ways. They have named a 14-man squad as follows:

Westley, Allison, Browne, Cook, Cook, Harmer, Khushi, Lawrence, Porter, Siddle, Snater, Ten Doeschate, Walter, Wheater.

Former England skipper Alistair Cook will aim for big runs, while Simon Harmer is the best spinner in county cricket. For many sides the upside of facing Siddle and Cook on the first day is not facing Harmer on the last.

Hopefully we are well-rested and ready to roll. I am looking forward to seeing what Billy Stanlake can do and after the disappointment of Nottinghamshire I hope for a much-improved display.

The weather looks set to take a sizeable chunk from the game, so I am going for a draw in this one.

What do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. Tim, Chesterfield13 May 2021 at 08:51

    The forecast I saw suggested little enough rain for us to lose in 3 days (I fear).

    They're vulnerable after 2 defeats. I have my doubts we can recover our own composure with the bat that's been missing for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Peakfan, I am looking forward to this game against the best County Championship team in the last few years. I am going to stick my neck out before the start of the match and state that I think this XI (excluding Guest and Connors) is our best team we can put out! So, come on Derbyshire. Clay Cross Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toss is crucial. We (Essex) have a tendency to collapse and also bat when conditions favor ball such is our poor captaincy. Can see a Derbyshire win. We are on the slide and overrated. Jamie Porter out of sorts and Siddle and RTD a season too many.

    Essex fan

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!