Sunday 4 April 2021

Team for Warwickshire?

I have had a few messages and comments regarding my team for the first game at Edgbaston.

It is always tough to call these things, because we don't know who is fully fit, who has rhythm in the nets and who will best suit the likely wicket at Edgbaston.

I think the batting largely picks itself, and the good thing about our plethora of all round talent is that we can bat deep and still have plenty of bowling options.

I am putting this team out there now, because for the next three days my long hours will preclude a lengthy blog. They will, however, enable me to watch almost all of the first game on the stream that the weather allows.

So here goes:

Godleman
Reece
Dal
du Plooy
Madsen
Critchley
Hosein
Hudson-Prentice
Cohen
Aitchison
Conners

My understanding is that Billy Stanlake isn't here for this one and I think the three seamers picked have so far shown the best rhythm.

It is a sign of strength that Melton and Scrimshaw are omitted, but their turn will come. Madsen may yet bat three, but hasn't pre-season, which might offer an 'in' to Dal, Hughes or Tom Wood. Tom perhaps needs a big score in the second innings of the current match, while Melton needs to get his lines and rhythm right to change the above eleven.

We will see in due course.

Now let me hear yours! 

1 comment:

  1. I think your selection will be close. The only place I think is 50/50 is the final quick spot. On the Lancashire performance I would have gone with Scrimshaw instead of Aitchison but it is a toss of coin and would be happy with either selection.

    Going forward I would prefer to have Reece at 3 especially as he is senior bowler now. I think we would get more runs from him especially in a long season with a rest inbetween innings. Also I would like to find an off spinner, maybe in the Durston dual role mould as Critchley will be more effective in second innings of matches.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!