Sunday 13 September 2020

Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire T20

Nottinghamshire 198-6 (Clarke 57, Hales 49, Melton 2-37, Hughes 2-34)

Derbyshire 185-6 (Madsen 68, Critchley 44, Hughes 36*)

Nottinghamshire won by 13 runs

It was another defeat for Derbyshire at Nottingham today, but this time there was no disgrace.

They ran a Nottinghamshire side with a near international attack pretty close, eventually losing by 13 runs. This after a spirited run chase that was always just behind the required rate, after the early loss of both openers for ducks.

Madsen made a sparkling 68 from 46 balls, Critchley an excellent 44 from 28, while Alex Hughes improvised to great effect for his unbeaten 36 from 20 balls.

It ultimately wasn't enough against a side with two overseas stars and an England man who plays only one-day cricket, but it was a fine effort.

I didn't see the home side's innings with a family commitment, but the figures are far more respectable than the other night. I will let you all comment on it and any missed opportunities, but Dustin Melton's figures look impressive and he held two catches too, while Alex Hughes confirmed a fine all round game with two wickets. Matt Critchley too can be proud of a good  effort in the game.

I look forward to your comments, but for me, a thirteen run deficit is the kind you would expect to be made up, with bat or ball, by your overseas stars. 

No disgrace, no major disappointment. 

On to the next  - and something similar may bring a long - awaited win. 

7 comments:

1. Much better and we were competitive to boot. Still think we need to give Tom Wood a game in place of Anuj Dal who can't score quickly in this format if his life depended on it. The bowling is still a big concern, we're just not going to limit teams to anything much under 200. Positive signs ahead though and unlucky lads.

ReplyDelete
  2. All things considered it was a decent performance.

No complaints from me.

ReplyDelete
  3. It is time that Godelman is rested from playing T20 matches this season and that Tom Wood can play the final three matches. He deserves a fair chance to show his ability in this competition.

I would also like to see Matt Critchley given the chance to captain the team for these games. He has become our most important player in this format.

We need to look at the future and plan for next season. I think it will be a good idea to have two different captains in the County Championship and the one day competitions.

ReplyDelete
  4. Really good effort from the lads tonight! Was fearing for the worst after that 1st innings, but Madsen, Critchley and Hughes were excellent after both Billy and Reecey departed early (the latter 2 also good with ball in hand).

It beggars belief why we would pick Anuj Dal and bat him 8 and not bowl him?! If we are going to play him, at least give him a go. I feel like it's a wasted selection when we could have Wood opening or at 3, which makes the batting order that bit longer and stronger, which could of been crucial tonight when we ran out of batsmen who could keep up with the required rate.

It seems there is sadly an ulterior motive from Cork and Co, as to not give some of these lads a proper opportunity, as to everyone else on the outside or involved in the club, it seems almost a no brainer at this stage with nothing to lose and only player development and experience to gain!

All in all a good fighting performance and gives us something to work from going in to Mondays fixture. Steve A (Spondon)

ReplyDelete
  5. We played with a great spirit, and we found the boundary, unlike in our other T20 games this season. But Tom Wood...why is he not being given a chance? I don't understand it. We've rotated the bowlers, so why not the top order batting?

ReplyDelete
  6. A spirited performance in any context, particularly in light of previous performances and the strength of the opposition. Derbyshire managed the highest score by a visiting team at Trent Bridge this year, and it was the first time anyone has put Notts under pressure. The fielding was much improved, even if it didn't reach the heights of last year and a few half-chances were missed. Dal got his fingertips to one after he'd dashed 30 yards and dived but to be honest, no-one else in the team would have got close enough to drop it; Critchley had one bounce out of his hands after a full-stretch forward dive: and Hosein might have stumped Clarke off Mckiernan before he got going but but lost a split second when the ball bobbled in his glove.

Among the bowlers, Melton did well and didn't look out of place, although his consistency from spell to spell and match to match needs to improve, and Hughes looked like last year's bowler for the first time this year. Cohen was expensive again but I think is worth persisting with. His pace means that he beats good batsmen regularly even if it (and his tendency to bowl onto pads) means that he also disappears to the boundary. He remains our best wicket taking option in the power play and at the death, particularly if he can find a reliable yorker.

It was an impressive chase, particularly as Godleman, Reece and du Plooy all went cheaply. I thought Godleman's decision was harsh. No doubt he was struck in line but with Carter bowling right arm around the wicket from wide on the crease, the umpire must have been convinced that the ball was going to turn square to hit. Critchley looked even unluckier, again given LBW to Ball, again right arm round the wicket wide on the crease. His consistency has been impressive and he would have played several major innings this year if he hadn't combined creative ways of getting himself out when going well and attracting trigger-happy umpires. I don't think there's much doubt that Derbyshire would have won but for his dismissal. If I had any criticism of the batting, it was that Critchley and Hughes weren't particularly alert to turning ones into twos. I don't think it's fair to expect Dal to come in and start hitting boundaries from the off against decent bowling, and if you have a serious power hitter, I don't think you'd leave him at 8. It's possible that Cohen might have been a better choice for the situation, although he is, literally, going to be hit or miss.

Hopefully, we'll see this improvement carried on into the last 3 games, so we don't finish what has otherwise been an encouraging season (well, 6 weeks) on a low point.

ReplyDelete
  7. What is Godleman bringing to the team in this comp? His batting has been poor, his captaincy only slightly better. I agree with the earlier poster. Give Critchley a chance for the last 3 games.
    Ado, Chesterfield

ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!