Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Ross Whiteley signs one-year white ball deal

I think a few people will be surprised at the announcement of a new deal for Ross Whiteley.

He didn't have a bad Vitality Blast, but nor did he win the matches that you would hope a recognised 'finisher' would.

In such situations one has to consider how you would replace the player in question. As I have written before, this is far from a vintage year for players who are out of contract. I could see no one within the list who had the skill set of Ross and so the case for retention became stronger. 

I would expect this to be his final year and in what looks like a stronger group of players becoming available in 2027, I would be astonished if we couldn't find someone younger to do what he does. 

However, he remains a player capable of clearing the boundary and even in his late thirties, he is one of the best boundary fielders in the game. If he can turn the clock back and show his best form it will definitely be to Derbyshire's advantage.

He is also a nice lad and I wish him the very best for 2027.

6 comments:

  1. Didn't see that coming I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you will be alone in that, Tim...

      Delete
    2. Another poor cricket decision. He has done nowhere near enough to be given a new contract. Ollie

      Delete
    3. I expected this & think it is a fair decision. He may not be having the impact that he used to, but he still offers more chance of adding quick runs than our other options. Also still great in the field. His retention is perhaps a bit of an indictment as to where we are as a club at the moment.

      MarkB

      Delete
  2. Think we are getting a lot of things wrong in the last few weeks. From membership requiring a T20 add on after an awful season to extensions being offered to players who imo are not worthy eg Pat Brown (the most expensive RPO bowler in T20 2025) and a finisher who is finished. The comments from MA about ignorant supporters. The lack of opportunities even when the competition is a dead rubber. If I were not a life member I would not be renewing but as I am well picking and choosing is all that i can do
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not surprised , with Anuj Dal retiring and Amrit Basra (his possible successor?) being injured for the duration of the one day cup , the list of proven candidates to replace him is thin. Martin

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!