It was a lovely service and recognition not just what a terrific player he was, but what a brilliant Dad, Grandad, husband and man he was too. It was lovely to meet members of his extended family and also those from Grassmoor and beyond who wanted to pay their last respects to a man who was the last of a breed. There will never be another Derbyshire player takes a thousand wickets in the county colours and it should never be forgotten that in order to do so you need to stay on top of your game for close to two decades.
I was very proud and flattered to be asked to deliver a eulogy and I hope that those attending felt my words were appropriate. The drives in each direction were challenging, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
I had another opportunity to discuss Edwin and his contribution to Derbyshire yesterday, in a far-reaching interview with James Sadler of North Derbyshire Radio. This will be on tomorrow night and I will post a link to it as soon as it is available online. We also discussed Derbyshire's season, high points and low points, Nye Donald, Shoaib Bashir and my thoughts on the rest of the season and how the county can replace Wayne Madsen in T20 next year.
Tomorrow, Derbyshire visit Scarborough, my second favourite ground after Chesterfield. It is needing a little investment, but there is something special about watching cricket at the seaside. Had we not been going on holiday on Monday I would have made the trip to Scarborough for this one.
I find it quite difficult to make any predictions about this Derbyshire side, because you never know which one is going to turn up. There is talent in this side to beat most other teams on their day, but too often we seem to play reputations and match situations, rather than simply focusing on each ball in turn.
I think that's why we fall short on occasions. At Old Trafford earlier in the year we played Sir Jimmy Anderson, not a run chase of 138. Against Yorkshire the focus switched from 'we are in control, just keep doing the same things' to 'oh, they *might* do this'. I'm convinced that a lack of positive mentality sees us fall short, as there is no other explanation. If you were good enough to take eight wickets, you can take the last two.
It's great to see Luis Reece back in the squad and hopefully that is an indicator that his youngster is on the mend. No. Matthew Montgomery, but Yusuf bin Naeem is also in the squad, along with Shoaib Bashir.
Likely side
Came, Reece, Jewell, Madsen, Andersson, Guest, Whiteley, Dal, Potts, Aitchison, Morley
Yorkshire have been going well in this competition, but were beaten by Middlesex last time out. Derbyshire will be wary of Adam Lyth's record at Scarborough, a ground where he played from the age of 13 and the game presents a stronger challenge than the two recent victories.
Indian left arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav offers additional experience to an attack that also features captain Dom Bess, and this Yorkshire side played against Middlesex
Lyth, Luxton, Bennison, Wharton, Whiteman, Hill, Bean, Bess, Yadav, Cliff, White
Bepey, Chohan, Coad, Duke also in the squad tomorrow but Yadav is unavailable.
Finally today, it's good to see Shoaib Bashir in the England squad for the first two Tests against Pakistan.
I think he's doing well at Derbyshire and the environment suits him. Both on and off the pitch he has impressed and while he has his detractors, too many people forget that he is a young lad learning a difficult skill set. I would love to see him retain his central contract, not least because it would enable Derbyshire to utilise money in the budget that they're undoubtedly keeping aside in case he isn't centrally contracted next year.
That the squad needs strengthening is beyond argument, but better luck with injury wouldn't do any harm either...
Let's hope that the boys can deliver by the seaside and three successive wins is a pleasant consequence.
An interesting thought struck me with your last paragraph, should Bashir not retain his central contract is he worth putting a chunk of the budget aside for...
ReplyDeleteI think Morley increasingly makes a case that he should be backed as an all format spinner and he's likely on less money as well.
Hopefully Bashir retains his contract and it's a moot point but I'd be inclined to let him go and prioritise a new pace bowler or opening bat over a second spinner if he doesnt.
To answer your question Hamez, yes I think he is. I like him and he will only get better. And he is contracted for 2 years and the understanding was that if he lost the central contract he would be paid its value by the club.
DeleteTo renege on that would make it unlikely anyone else would join us in such a situation. I don't think he is the finished article - how could he be, at that age? I also think he was elevated before he was ready, but looking around the counties I don't see an obviously better option for England. Two or three who can bat as well as bowl, but not clearly better frontline spinners.
To be fair, the way that pitch preparation goes, they hardly get a chance to bowl in conditions that favour them, or indeed bowl long spells unless it is a road and they want to rest the quick bowlers...
Ah I forgot it was a 2 year deal. I hope he carries on improving. Given the weather he should get to bowl on some dry pitches against Pakistan so hope he does well.
DeleteThere is certainly a dearth of English spinners. Leach remains the best by some distance but I do think Morley continues to improve rapidly also, maybe we'll see both selected in red ball games if the weather stays as dry into September.