Sunday, 9 August 2026

Time for a deep breath..

It has got a little tetchy on the blog today. And I don't like tetchy.

Feelings are running high because Derbyshire are in a very poor trot. Opinions are being expressed and, as is always the case with opinions, there are those who disagree with them. 

That in itself is fine, because it would be a strange world if we all thought the same thing. However, the way that some of these disagreements have been expressed has crossed a line on occasion today. 

Please be nice to each other. Our team has been beaten, but no one has died. You can disagree with someone else, but please don't be abrupt, patronising or unpleasant in doing so. I haven't run this blog for 19 years to allow it to degenerate into the old BBC 606 site. I would pull the plug on it tomorrow, rather than allow that to happen.

Most of you will know that 'Jason' was for many years on the club committee and board, so has greater knowledge of the internal machinations of the club than most. I appreciate his input, like that of everyone else, but the opinions of EVERYONE on here are and will remain valid. I am a big advocate for free speech, as long as it is not hurtful, rude or personal.

If you disagree with someone, that's fine, but take five and couch your reply in a way that you would be OK to read if YOU were on the end of it. It is the approach I have always taken when writing about players, loss of form and their ability - if it was my son I was reading about, could I accept it and not take exception to the wording?

Life is too short for people with a great, common interest to fall out over petty things.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Fair enough Steve and apologies for any offence caused to anyone.

    Today's selection and result really dismayed me. I saw Glamorgan winning with contributions from young players who have been given their opportunities and the contrast really struck me.

    Prior to this competition I didn't think Hope-Bell was a better player than Hawkins, nor Nicholls or Horton better than Wagstaff nor Edwards better than Stewart. The 4 Glamorgan lads have now taken huge strides beyond our named players. Several others have had exposure as well which will benefit them. They were trusted and backed.

    Such an opportunity missed.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!