If one looks at the end of season averages, you could count those who will look back on 2026 as being their best form on the fingers of one hand.
For any improvement in 2027, either the playing or coaching personnel needs to change - and that probably requires money we don't have and players better than appear to be available - or Mickey Arthur needs to find a way to get much more from those at his disposal.
For all of his protestations that 'they are all massively improved', the evidence points to the contrary. I present that in a couple of days time.
Cynics of 'old cricket', often played on uncovered pitches, will point to the batting averages and suggest that player X can't have been that good, with his average in the 20s. They ignore the fact that pitch preparation was less advanced and the rain often created surfaces that were not called 'sticky dogs' for nothing. Not to mention that there were some serious bowlers around...
Sadly, most of Derbyshire's batters in 2026 averaged the same, so therein lies the crux of the problem. A combination of injury, age, confidence and the wrong position in the order accounted for most of the batting and was a factor in their under achievement. It is hard to get away from the fact that for Harry Came, Luis Reece and Wayne Madsen, 2027 may be their last in Derbyshire colours. Certainly all need better figures and luck than this year, but perhaps it is time for a somewhat essential reset.
Matthew Montgomery looked a good player on occasion, but I expected more after his move from Nottinghamshire. There were no three figure scores and like Came, he plays across the line too often for such an elevated position in the order. Yet the Head of Cricket, as we have seen on a number of occasions, doesn't like to admit error and persevered with a player who might have done better at five.
Caleb Jewell also endured a wretched summer and the county will doubtless seek a more reliable top order overseas replacement for 2027. That position is SO important for a club like Derbyshire, yet the market is shrinking for batters of the requisite quality AND desire to play all summer in England.
Wayne Madsen had two centuries and remains one of the side's best two batters, but there were signs that time was catching up on a man who owes nothing to the county. Like others, he was more uncertain at the start of an innings and we must hope that he has another good year in him and doesn't tarnish a deservedly fine reputation by going on too long.
Martin Andersson was the one shining light in the batting and often looked on a different level to his teammates. Results would have been quite different without his skills and finding him support is very much needed for the side to progress.
Yousaf bin Naeem showed promise, even though tasked with batting higher than he would have preferred. Meanwhile opportunity largely failed to knock for Amrit Basra, who is another with a big year ahead in 2027. So too Brooke Guest, one of my favourite players but whose batting appears currently in freefall.
There was no balance to the batting order, with too many people seemingly unsuited to their role in the side. Somewhat similar to the episode of that old classic TV cricket comedy, Outside Edge, when everyone wanted to bat number five..
This can only be laid at the door of Mickey Arthur, who has had five years to get 'his team' yet still hasn't recruited a top order that works. Luis Reece remains the best bet for the top of the order, but only if his body still allows it. Technically, he is the best oprning bat on the staff, but injuries have taken their toll and I doubt he can still bat AND bowl as he once did.
Why has the batting as a unit failed? Form is temporary, class permanent, as the old adage goes, but almost everyone? My theory, for what it is worth, is that the environment is not conducive to freedom of expression, on or off the pitch. I get the impression that most of the lads in that batting line up need boosted, perhaps their egos massaged, an arm around the shoulder. Those over the top assertions about the players in public count for nothing, if you are roasting them within the confines of the dressing room and shredding their confidence.
As for the bowling, it was Ben Aitchison's year. Week after week he bowled beautifully, kept going until almost the end of the summer and also contributed two centuries to the cause. We are very lucky to have him and I hope that he sees his ambitions can be fulfilled at Derbyshire when his contract is up for renewal.
Nick Potts improved and showed he could handle a bat too, but perhaps like Pat Brown, who didn't play this summer, he needs a stock delivery that he can depend upon. The variations in all formats were impressive, but less so were the runs conceded as he strove for something different every ball. Sometimes, making the batters work is more effective than keeping them guessing, especially when those variations were often varied in their line and length.
Rory Haydon burst onto the scene and did well, though it did not escape notice that his opportunity only arose through the selection of Muhammad Abbas for Pakistan tours. We must all hope that the stress fracture which ended his summer can be fixed in time for 2027. To which. I can copy and paste the name of Harry Moore.
Even Zak Chappell, a war horse of previous years broke down and missed the second half of the summer. The side missed the balance that he affords and again, supporters must keep fingers crossed that he is restored to full fitness next year.
Meanwhile Anuj Dal announced his retirement from the game. There is a role for someone there and hopefully it can be grasped as well as Nuj at his best did. Perhaps there lies a niche for Amrit Basra?
Derbyshire started the season with what the Head of Cricket described as 'two of the best young spinners in the country'. Yet one took his wickets at 47 each and the other didn't take any. Shoaib Bashir bowled some controlled spells, but the question remains whether the county has a need for two specialist spinners. Jack Morley did well in the Blast, but opportunities to field more than one spinner in the modern game are few and far between. Could the limited budget be better used? Again, next year is a big one for both players.
The second overseas role was split between Muhammad Abbas and Brett Randell. The former, justifiably a legend of the county circuit, was a disappointment and took nine of his 23 wickets on a sporting wicket at Worcester in the final game. They cost him over 30 runs each across the summer, which was not expected, nor as good as needed.
Randell did well, a bright spark in the closing weeks of the summer. He ran in hard, fielded tigerishly, contributed valuable runs and fitted in admirably.
You could point to four Championship wins as a reason for encouragement, but to do so ignores the obvious flaws that Mickey Arthur seems incapable of addressing. Long-time readers will recall my concerns that he would not have been my pick for the job when he was appointed. I take no pleasure in having been proved correct and the sad reality is that supporters look like having another two years of the same under-achievement to 'look forward to'.
He will point to the absence of key bowlers as a reason for failure, but their hopeful return next year will not shore up the batting. I have no beef with Ben Smith as batting coach, but just as Chris Wright brought improvement in the seam attack, is it time for a new voice in the ear? Or a new man at the top, with greater skills in man management?
The performance at Worcester merely reinforced the opinion of most supporters that it is not working. I can only speak for myself, but regardless of who comes in the door to play, I have no real expectation of any improvement at Derbyshire until the coaching staff is overhauled and a new Head of Cricket is in place. That looks like being two years, like it or not. And I still find it hard, after FIVE years of underwhelming cricket, to write that.
For all that we have heard ad nauseam that people 'want to play for Mickey Arthur', I have the impression that the players we NEED probably don't. We need fighters, those who roll up their sleeves when the chips are down and would be unafraid to say their piece in the dressing room. One looks at Worcestershire, where Matthew Waite and Tom Taylor are uncompromising cricketers who serve them well. Or players like Ben Raine, Ryan Higgins - gutsy battlers to a man.
I'm not sure that Mickey's reported dressing room autocracy would work well with that breed of player. But by crikey, what we would give for one or two of them.
In any organisation that I can think of, a roots and branches review of the staff would take place after the summer we have witnessed. Derbyshire finished sixteenth out of eighteen counties, after all and they did little in white ball cricket. I can also think of a good few people who would hold up their hands, tell the board they can't do it anymore and walk away. Neither of those things appears likely, so the silence appears to be a strong and disappointing acceptance of our lot.
Other 'smaller' counties have over-achieved this year, won trophies, competed strongly, got the best out of what they have. Not all of them with markedly better squads than Derbyshire, but with someone in charge who got the best out of them, creating an eleven that was stronger than the sum of its constituent parts. I always recall the words of Walter Goodyear, when I asked him about the strength of the sides when he was at the club, between the 1930s and 1980s.
'It were Derbysheer agin the world' he said. Never underestimate the value of a siege mentality. But you need the right man to cultivate it.
I do try to look beyond results, at the 'bigger picture'. I know we have had two England players this summer, that Mickey has a seat at the top table, that because of him our name is known around the world, that he has so many contacts...but five years on, where are the results? Surely all of these 'benefits' have a positive consequence?
I heard from an old school friend last night and in a long conversation he said 'You are still lumbered with good old Mickey, then?'. He is a long-standing Nottinghamshire member and the sad thing is that our Head of Cricket is a perceived figure of fun down the A52, with his over the top proclamations about players and prospects. I don't know about you, but I am uneasy with MY club, OUR club, being such a source of humour, with no suggestion that it is going to change any time soon.
So while I would love to leave you with reasons to be cheerful in 2027, I just can't.
With that, I must thank you for your loyal support, interest and comments throughout the summer.
I had hoped that my sixtieth year supporting the club might be memorable for the right reasons, but it was not to be.
But when we get to November and the fixtures come out once more, I will likely be looking at my options for travel and hotels and hoping for better.
In the words of the old Italian proverb, hope is the last thing ever lost...
Postscript: it was a BIG mistake that Mickey did the interview at the end of yesterday's game.
He was clearly agitated and to refer to loyal club supporters, who were here way before he arrived and will be when he is gone, an unfortunate footnote in our history, as 'ignorant' is both unacceptable and indefensible.
He should be pulled up about this and should apologise. Or he should go.
End of story.
Have they pulled that interview? I can't find it now.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2239852919916003&id=100063797371034
DeleteWow. Enough is enough. Come out fighting by all means, but saying that is beyond the pale.
DeleteAlso available via BBC Derby Sport link on x - https://x.com/BBCDerbySport/status/2103899024122093879
ReplyDeleteThanks David!
DeleteThanks for your hard work during the season. I would hope someone in a position to alter things on and off the pitch have the strength to grasp the nettle. I have watched Derbyshire since the 60's and have never been so embarrassed. I hope to renew my membership in 2027 but may not if things don't change. A happy and healthy winter to you and yours. Cuthbert
ReplyDeleteThank you Cuthbert. And the same to you and yours too!
DeleteListening to the commentary yesterday the concern was "What is going to be different next year ?" The coaches will be the same, the players will be the same so the results will be ....
ReplyDeleteI think with everybody fit we have a good bowling attack though it would be more useful if more of them could bat. As you say we have a number of batsman who best position is 5 we have a number of bowlers who best position in batting line up is 11.
Are there any rumours of incoming players as usually we have had an announcement by now ?
As I put on the Worcs Day 3 report that a top 3 of Came, Jewell and Montgomery with averages below 30 means Madsen is often facing the new ball. If we had used 3 home grown players (such as Wood, Borrington and Wagstaff for example) who had produced those figures would they have been given as much game time.
Thank you for your efforts throughout the season. Have a good winter.
No definite news, David. I suspect we will have a batting replacement for Jewell and (I hope) and all rounder for The Blast. Other than that it will depend on Bashir retaining his central contract and someone suitable being on the market.
DeleteNext year should be a very different story..
And thank you!
DeleteFirstly I would like to thank you for the work you have done on your blog over the summer. I find your comments & observations insightful, I don’t agree with them all, but to hear someone else’s views explained helps you develop your own thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThe CC campaign had been very poor. On the positive side you can look at the number of wins & the number of batting & bowling bonus points. But against that you have to look at the number of losses, the number of batting collapses, the inability to secure wins from winning positions &the lack of player development. To me the team has no heart & when the going gets tough nearly always comes out second best.
There is no progress, in fact we are going backwards. Any optimism for 2027 can only be based on a new head coach.
But what would I know, after all I’m just an ignorant member.
MarkB
I don't expect anyone to agree with all my views, Mark. If they do, great, but they generate talking points which is what makes it work!
DeleteGuess Mickey thinks we are all ignorant. Mickey would be wrong...
Another consistent and outstanding season this year. Congratulations. Unfortunately, I'm talking about this blog, not the cricket!
ReplyDeleteYou're right. The interview was far too soon after the game. However, perhaps it gave us an insight into what the players might receive...
If I recall correctly, MA wasn't even pulled up after being rude to someone at a members' forum, so I doubt much will happen after this.
As I've stated before, MA is in a very well paid role, gets rewarded for mediocrity with a contract extension and has zero accountability. Would you walk away from such a position?
You are right, Jasper. I suspect the players got both barrels and he was in no mindset for an interview. If such a lack of control is commonplace, is it any wonder that collapses set in and things fall to pieces?
DeleteI would like to think after this time I would read the room. But he won't. Sadly ..
Thank you, Steve, for all the insights and thoughts you've shared throughout the season.
ReplyDeleteTrying to look on the bright side after another disappointing year, Andersson and Aitchison have been outstanding. Moreover, I think Aitchison now deserves all-rounder status. Haydon looks an excellent prospect, as does Moore, who should be fit for next season. Bin Naeem and Basra both have the ability to score runs.
I agree that the area we need to strengthen most is our batting. I've no idea who might be available within our budget.
Downthewicket
Thank you, DTW!
DeleteI also meant to include Nye Donald as a bright spot.
ReplyDeleteDownthewicket
A very honest and accurate season assessment Peakfan. Thanks for your season-long commitment. You are the go to place as far as Derbyshire cricket is concerned for me. Being a Derbyshire cricket fan and Rams supporter is a continuing cycle of disappointment. Come April I usually can’t wait for a disappointing footie season to end and hope beyond hope for a successful cricket season. Then come September I can’t wait for the cricket season to end and hope the Rams can cheer me up. Basically an endless cycle of disappointment.
ReplyDeleteThree successes really this season. Donald in the T20 and Aitchison and Andersson in the Championship. That’s about it.
Just to conclude, MA’s condescending comments about fans like me who have supported and watched the club for decades before he came on the scene and will continue to support them long after he has gone, he needs to take a period of contemplation and apologise at the very least. Even better, he could walk. Grant from Telford
Your first paragraph made me smile, Grant. I do exactly the same!
DeleteThank you for your marvellous blog peakfan. It really does mean a lot to us ignorant supporters. I think even in the heat of the moment Arthur really did cross the line with his comments and show what a horrible and dare I say ignorant little man he is. I hope you have a pleasant winter and thanks again
ReplyDeleteThank you Ian. We ignorants must stick together...
DeleteWinter well yourself and do keep in touch!
Thank you Peakfan for your observations and thoughts throughout this very disappointing season, they have been most enlightening. The latest blog in my opinion sums up things very well. MAs interview at Worcester is nothing short of a disgrace, the club should be utterly ashamed. Where are the Executive Team when we need them. We’ve all had more than enough of MA, his arrogance is staggering. Just an observation from another “ignorant” member.
ReplyDeleteThanks Eddie!
DeleteImagine being in a business where your boss can call their clients 'ignorant' and where that comes with no repercussions or 'gardening leave'.
ReplyDeleteIf that is what he will say openly, and being irritated after just yet another disappointing performance by the products of his work is absolutely no mitigation for that behaviour, then what will he say in the comfort of the dressing room.
The on field evidence suggests that he's lost the team, that he cannot positively influence the performances to a place where we can have any level of average consistency and his words off it suggest that he has now lost any right to being supported by the members and those who pay at the gate.
IF we continue as we are then, frankly, the Chair and board deserve everything that brings. The members and paying supporters deserve better, and they know it.
Another two years of tiresome and failed toxically positive rhetoric should not be an option.
Andy
Agree with every word, Andy. In any organisation I worked, my jacket would have been on a shoogly hook, as they say up here...
DeleteI don't know how his conduct is deemed acceptable and an apology should be forthcoming. You do not bite the hand that feeds you...
Excellent summary, Peakfan, and thank you for all your effort this season, which has been a tough one in which to retain any sort of enthusiasm. I'm reminded of Kent's position 12 months ago - rock bottom by some distance and easy pickings for us in the last game of 2025. Look at them now - that's what success looks like, and that's the sort of transformation we expected under Mickey Arthur. Instead we have seen 5 seasons of continued mediocrity presented as progressive by an increasingly delusional coach who has the audacity to label the short-changed fans as ignorant for expressing wholly justified discontent. There's the door, sir...
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil. They are a very good example of what happens with a change of coach and mindset. We could do that...
DeleteFirstly as ever my thanks for your commentary over the summer. Your dedication to the cause is greatly appreciated, especially as, in this season, we can feel that your patience, and even your enthusiasm has been waning at times.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your summation of the season.
For my look back, I have tried to divide the 25 players who have represented the County into 3 groups. Those whose stock has increased since March, those where their stock has reduced and a largely neutral group in the middle.
Stock increased
Martin Andersson
Ben Aitchison
Jack Morley
Nye Donald
Rory Haydon
Brett Randell
Andersson and Aitchison of course speak for themselves. Jack Morley did very well in the White ball competitions, and held his own against spinners with more illustrious reputations. Nye Donald also did exceptionally well in the Blast leading to international recognition. Rory Haydon and Brett Randell both did very well in the few games they had.
Stock reduced
Wayne Madsen
Matt Montgomery
Brooke Guest
Caleb Jewell
Ross Whiteley
Shoaib Bashir
Anuj Dal
Yousef Bin Naeem
Akif Javed
Amrit Basra
Muhammed Abbas
Zac Chappell
Most of these have obviously had a very poor season. Wayne Madsen has been poor by his own standards, and particularly in White ball often became bogged down. I have also not been convinced by his captaincy. Shoaib Bashir has been ok but not more than that. Dal’s bowling was pretty successful but not his batting. I wish him well with his new career, and hope he still has the time and inclination to be an outstanding club cricketer somewhere. Neither Bin Naeem or Basra grabbed their opportunities. Abbas only became a wicket taker in the final match. Chappell missed most of the season, but was only averaging 40 before that
Neutral
Nick Potts
Harry Came
Luis Reece
Sufyan Moqim
Joe Hawkins
Mitch Wagstaff
Will Rogers
Nick Potts was given his chance, and took wickets, but struggled with control – as with Sam Conners in prior seasons. Harry Came had the captaincy thrust upon him at the start of the season and in the ODC, and his best batting came when he was captain. You could almost hear Luis Reece’s bones creaking at times, but he was always up for the challenge and gave stability to the middle order and some vital wickets. Sufyan was economical in the Blast without being a standout performer. Hawkins, Wagstaff and Rogers only had 1 match each.
I would also put Mickey Arthur and Ben Smith in the stock reduced category, but Chris Wright in the improved category.
So there we are. Not many pleasing moments to look back on over the Winter, but with the Derbyshire supporters never ending optimism I look forward to next season being better!
Excellent comment, David. And there are far too many in that reduced stock section...rightly so!
DeleteFirst of all thanks. PF for all your hard work in producing this blog, which is always an excellent read.
ReplyDeleteI note that one of our bowlers scored as many centuries as Messrs Came, Jewell, Montgomery and Guest managed between them. Like other contributors I hope that YBN and Amrit Basra get a prolonged chance next year and don't suffer the apparent fate of Mitch Wagstaff whose ship has not so much sailed as been scuttled in port without a fair chance to demonstrate his seaworthiness.
I should add in passing that while I am not a member, I'm sure I fully meet MA's definition of ignorance.....
Enjoy the winter although I know that you like Grant and myself have a double cross to bear!
Thanks Dom. There has to be a greater connect between the Pathway and the senior side in the years ahead. Not sure he is the man to build it, but I will reserve judgement on that for now...
DeleteThat's a perfect assessment Peakfan.Like you say far too many players underperforming big time throughout the season and too few having to bail them out!More concerning were Mickeys comments though.Whether they were said too soon or not is irrelevant.To say comments like it's water off a ducks back to him is a real kick in the teeth to people who help pay his wages I often give him the benefit but not anymore.Or at least until he apologises.Topspinner.
ReplyDeleteYou and I the same, Topspinner!
DeleteTopspinner - may I kindly suggest you don't hold your breath on that one. It may be some time in coming, if at all
ReplyDeleteAndy
Malbar I endorse the comments of all supporters on here about your blog I have been following u for many years it kept me going when I lived in Crete! YOU are always fair in your comments .Let's hope for a better year next year. How often do we say that !
ReplyDeleteMalbar I endorse the comments of all supporters on here about your blog I have been following u for many years it kept me going when I lived in Crete! YOU are always fair in your comments .Let's hope for a better year next year. How often do we say that !
ReplyDeleteRoundabout this time every year, except for one golden summer, Mal!
DeleteThank you for your kind words and winter well
To me it feels like we have our very own version of D Trump in M Arthur.
ReplyDeleteEveryone knows he needs to go but no one important dares tell him.
Fortunately I am not important so Mickey: Go!
I think that a very worthy comparison, Ian..and Trump is not my most favourite person by a long chalk. I have tried to be fair to MA but he hasn't helped himself..
DeleteThanks for all of the hard work you have put in this season.
ReplyDeleteBesides reporting on the games and expressing your thoughts on the club in a constructive way, you have written some excellent side articles relating to the club's history.
Hopefully, you will continue this into next season.
Dre.
Thanks Dre. I will keep it going at least to the end of next year, health willing. You should enjoy a couple of my plans for the winter, which I shall blog about soon
DeleteAs Harry Callahan said to Captain Briggs in Sudden Impact. Mickey Arthur is "A legend in his own mind"
ReplyDeleteMichael
🤣🤣
DeleteThank you for your fantastic blog throughout the Summer it’s always a pleasure to read your summaries and thoughts
ReplyDeleteI think what’s hit me more this season than ever before is I have never heard you be as cutting and damning about performances than you have this year
As a very fair supporter over the years and I mean very fair to hear your anger portrayed through your words speaks volumes
The MA interview has turned my anger into rage !! Defend yourself defend the players but never and I mean never disrespect the supporters we have been loyal beyond words over the years we love DCCC and will be here still turning up long after he has gone
It’s going to be a long long winter ….
John
Chesterfield
Thanks John, appreciate your kind words.
DeleteIt has been tough. I know the talent is there and they show it on occasion. But what stops consistency? Mindset? Environment? Does he exude panic when things start to go wrong?
I wish I knew...
I genuinely fear for the club. Membership set to be lowest ever . Belief in the coach non existent.
ReplyDeletePlayer rotas getting worse year on year.
I accept that standards are low but I cannot accept the total apathy from players management. I cannot renew anymore it's no longer entertaining and I see no ambitions other than to stick around. Putting up membership in such a sly way didn't help. Sorry for negative review and hope the remaining members understand.
People will understand, Steve. You can't offer an inferior product and expect people to flock in droves to watch it.
DeleteI was going to make one more trip at the tail end of the summer, but I honestly couldn't be bothered this time. And that speaks volumes, because I wouldn't do this were I not a massive fan...
Chspel Guy
ReplyDeleteBack in 2006 when I was working in Libya I flew back to the UK just to see us play Worcestershire in the Championship. This was our first game at Chesterfield for several seasons after we stopped playing there after the Board made the spurious assertion that low attendances there made it not worth playing at Queens Park. I remember Marcus North taking a great catch on the boundary just a few feet away from where I was sitting and Michael DiVenuto run out for 99 just as we started to applaud a century that never came.
I mention this memory to show that as a lifelong Derbyshire supporter, there were times when I felt it was worth travelling vast distances just to see my team play. On another occasion I woke at 5 am to take a train to Edinburgh to see us play Scotland when frequent showers failed to prevent us winning despite Michael Slater shouldering arms and being clean bowled in the first over.
Now I live a mere 45 miles from Derby but is it worth my making the effort to go and see us play? Not on the evidence of the past few seasons. As Derbyshire supporters we are used to disappointment and failure but I have never felt do depressed and concerned for our future and our continued existence. Something has to happen. Mickey Arthur must GO! We will.never achieve anything with this loud mouthed ignoramus in charge. Those responsible for renewing his contract again and again should hang their heads in shame. MA is killing our club.
Well put CG. Grant from Telford
DeleteThank you for another season's outstandingly balanced commentary - and that must have been hard at times.
ReplyDeleteUnder the Head of Cricket's responsibilities the club lists the recruiting, managing and development of players and coaches. Recruitment has been mixed and development, as you and so many commenters here have stated, limited and in many cases negative. Quite proper then that Mickey Arthur and the batting coach should have questions to answer.
As for managing players, I was sceptical about Mickey Arthur's appointment, given his chequered record, not least the farcical "homework" episode with the Australian Test team in India, in the aftermath of which he lost his job. At least he later expressed some regret for his actions. I wonder if he will do so for his ill-judged, petulant comments at Worcester. I have no doubt that he would not have been so scathingly dismissive of members' justified criticism if he were head of cricket at a bigger county.
Chesterfield Blue - Montgomery has been the big disappointment for me, really thought he'd weigh in with plenty of runs but he's caught the Derbyshire disease sadly and followed the rest. My enthusiasm is probably at an all time low now, and MA has made his views about Derbyshire supporters totally clear, it was that damning. There has to be some movement on the coaching front this Winter, ideally MA leaves together with the batting coach, will it happen, probably not.
ReplyDeleteAnother poor season, but what's new?
I think it is time the almost invisible Ryan Duckett spoke to the members to confirm he is still backing MA and then explain why he was given an extended contract. What do members have to do to seek a vote of no confidence in MA (and in my opinion RD too) ?
ReplyDeleteSpot on Simon. Obviously MA takes the blame for on field problems but the chief exec appointed him and wrongly extended his contract. He gets the plaudits for the annual small profits so should get the brickbats for the woeful cricket results. IMO both should go
DeletePaul