Monday, 14 September 2026

Hawkins stars for Seconds at Chesterfield

Zak Chappell captained the Derbyshire Second XI at Chesterfield today, at the start of a 3-day friendly against the South Asian Cricket Academy.

Indeed he won the toss and elected to bowl,  but would have been concerned when SACA reached 190-2 in the afternoon, Shafi making 68 and Tangirala 41. 

Then Joe Hawkins worked his way through the order to good effect and they were all out for 279, with the young all-rounder taking 7-63, his best figures by some distance.

Derbyshire reached 58-3 by the close, with Chappell and Khushi unbeaten and Rogers, Wagstaff and Kelly the men out. It will be interesting to see how a young Derbyshire side gets on tomorrow with the bat

Scorecard and video clips here

3 comments:

  1. It’s good to see Hawkins do well. I think in English county cricket you can’t really play a off spinner who bats at 10 or 11. On real turners like on the sub continent you can get away with it but in typical conditions here I think the spinner needs to bat at least 8. Maybe jack leach is good enough to be a exception to the rule but Bashir and Morley certainly aren’t

    ReplyDelete
  2. A harsh critic might say, “only might” say……. That over after over, of medium pace dull bowling did not provide the incision that spin did. No one watching could have ever guessed…😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only bad thing about county cricket in general. The lack of spin bowling in most matches. I know the aim is obviously to win the game but I totally agree with you. . I spent a day at the oval last season for Surrey v notts undoubtedly the best 2 sides in the cc but after 95 overs of seam bowling and just one over of spin all day long I was so pleased when the days play finished

      Delete

Please remember to add your name. Avoid personal comment at all times. Thanks!