Gloucestershire 237 and 359-5 (Hammond 118, Bracey 104* Andersson 2-43)
Derbyshire 278 and 105 (Andersson 35, Kishore 5-20)
Gloucestershire won by 213 runs
The latest debacle was against a Gloucestershire side that was so far adrift at the bottom of the table that life belts would have been no use. Nine defeats in ten matches, although worryingly, their one win was against... well, you know who...
How can you lose a game, when you have bowled out the opposition for 237 and are 200-2 in your first innings? How can you watch the same opponents knock the ball around to make 359-5 in their second innings, then be bowled out for 105 in less than 39 overs, as the pitch seemed to turn from benign to Hyderabad with a change of bowlers - and batters? How can 'two of the best young spinners in the country' take 2-185 in 52 overs, on the same pitch that those of the opposition bowls you out in 12 overs less? How can you not find the technique, or the mental strength to bat 45 overs and save the game?
I can accept that the presence of Mickey Arthur at the 'top table' of English cricket is a factor in the recognition of Nye Donald and Shoaib Bashir. But the overwhelming evidence from another season of woe is that as a coach, as a manager of men, he is a busted flush.
Consider that these words are not knee jerk reaction to a defeat. They come after a night's sleep and there is no way that I can sanitise the latest performance in which a Derbyshire side showed itself to be totally inadequate for the first-class game.
I had a brief look at social media this morning. Probably the best kind of look, to be honest, but such comments as 'sack them all' are unhelpful and ill-considered.
For one thing, the list of players who are out of contract this October shows very few who would improve our fortunes. It is a flight of fancy to look at young players establishing themselves in second team cricket and assume that their presence in a Derbyshire side is all that is needed for success. It is unrealistic to assume a player who has failed to progress at two or three counties will suddenly become a world-beater at a fourth. Especially with a head coach who, the evidence suggests, is incapable of getting the best from players.
How many Derbyshire players, when they take off their boots for the last time this summer, can reflect on a job well done? I would say Ben Aitchison, certainly, so too Martin Andersson. The rest? Then I start to struggle, apart from Rory Haydon, then Nye Donald in T20. Plenty have had occasional good performances, but sustained good form?
At which point, in the annual review of any organisation, you have to look at the reasons why.
I don't think these are bad players. I look around counties and can see elevens that are perhaps man for man inferior. Yet collectively they do so much better and sit higher in tables than Derbyshire.
We all know that Mickey Arthur can talk a good game. Even if, as a former county player said to me recently, 'he is all p*** and wind'. He is seen as a dressing room autocrat and perhaps there lies the crux of the problem.
What this Derbyshire side needs, when such players are available, are strong individuals. Technically and mentally strong, players who are not afraid to speak their mind. Think back to that Dean Jones side...crikey, they were a force of nature, with some strong characters underneath an even stronger leader. I am sure there were some tough conversations, but it would have been two-way. It was the same with the fine 1950s side and as for the 1936 one - didn't John Arlott ask 'shall we see a side of such gladiatorial quality again?'
I just think that Mickey Arthur has put together a team of nice guys who will accept that what he says, goes. Even if they don't believe it. Mickey is always right, so we will do things his way - and this is a consequence of an inability to carry people with you.
I was a manager for a very long time and I know how teams and groups work, I know how to get the best from them. It isn't happening at Derbyshire and when people of talent are unproductive you have to look at the way in which they are being managed. We have now had five 'year groups' and things haven't progressed, have they?
There are no players available this Autumn who I could put my hand on my heart and say would really improve Derbyshire. That is different this time next year, but I have to ask if people who you would be interested in really want to be in a dressing room where it appears to be 'my way, or the highway'.
Every year we get towards the end of the season and my optimistic inner self says 'Oh well, there's always next year'. I realised this morning that optimism isn't there this time. It won't be there, until Derbyshire part ways with Mickey Arthur. I know he knows a lot of people in cricket. I know he has earned a reputation within the game at the highest level.
But five years on, aside from some county players attracting England interest, tangible progress has been nil. We can reflect on two or three good red ball wins this summer, but really, should we be satisfied with that as our lot? Can't Derbyshire match Glamorgan, Sussex, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire and punch above our weight?
We have heard, ad nauseam, that people want to play for Mickey Arthur. But do the people who would change our fortunes want to do so? The bottom line is that something is stopping people producing their best form. If the answer is that these players are simply not good enough, then 2027 will see an exodus from the club unlike any in living memory. A lot of contracts are up and the evidence is that many should not be renewed.
Or should Derbyshire bite the bullet at the end of this month, accept that there is little out there, domestically that will change things in the short term and accept that enough is enough?
In the world of professional sport, five years is the length of tenure that rewards success. If you can look back at the last five years and consider them successful, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
The thought of two more years of this holds no appeal. I honestly believe there is no player in the world game who could come in right now and change the county's fortunes without change at the top. Without someone taking over who can inspire and motivate, carry people along with him. Someone whose best work is done within the confines of the dressing room and not in bullish, meaningless sound bites that count for nothing.
There are a good few Derbyshire coaches of the past who would have done no worse - and likely much better - had they been afforded the luxury of five years, with two more to come.
I don't think it would be in any way detrimental if the coaching setup was restructured and an internal appointment made in the short term. Regardless of who is in charge, people will always be happy to sign for your club, your organisation, if they feel the ethos, the environment and the structure is in place for them to produce their best. If they feel opportunity is there to flourish.
I don't think that is there, regardless of the content in the next video that comes from the club.
Mickey Arthur can insist until the cows come home that the players are getting better, that they are surpassing their targets and are constantly improving. That he constantly reflects and is giving 110%. I don't doubt that, but...
The evidence, in such displays as yesterday, merely confirms that it is absolute nonsense. As a friend said to me last night in a message, in most other clubs, this would be the final straw and an emergency meeting would be called for this morning.
It is hard to disagree.
Excellent post Steve and one that was not easy to write, I'm sure. Honestly, evidenced and measured. The club would do well to take heed right now.
ReplyDeleteThose at the top simply cannot be seeing things in a positive light or be 'buying' the bullish cliché ridden pressers from Mickey any longer. The supporters and members aren't.
It's not good enough from the head coach, his coaching team and the players need to take responsibility too.
None of us are getting any younger and as paying customers we have every right to expect better. I want to buy a membership for next season but how can I if the selling point includes Mickey still being there?
Expecting better starts with from those at the top of the club.
Doubtless there will be some awkward messaging, calls and furrowed brows by senior club officials last night and in coming days. Good. There needs to be.
In essence, what we have in front of us is not a difficult decision. The long term consequences of not acting now outweigh the short term discomfort of failing to act.
Or, Mickey could do the decent thing and quit at season's end?
Andy
Honestly Andy, this has been the hardest year to write about of the 19 I have done. How can Abbas take wickets everywhere but Derbyshire?
DeleteIf it was me, I would graciously walk away, accept that it hadn't worked and wish them the best for the future. Hopefully learn from the experience.
A good summary as expected. I would, however, question giving MA any credit for Bashir's selection for England. He came as an ECB contracted player and whilst he's been a welcome addition and seems a great lad who gives his all, he's done nothing of real significance with the ball.
ReplyDeleteWith Baz going, Bashir might have dropped out of the reckoning. Perhaps his county coach being in the decision making of the new regime helped. I don't know. But I can't disagree that while he has been committed and had good days, like others, the bottom line is that he hasn't won many games.
DeleteIt would be interesting to know what the management board actually think Mikey is achieving in return for what is certainly a considerable outlay in his salary, also I don’t think the captain should get away with a free pass IMO questions need to be asked regarding his future ,he after all leads the team on the field, the statistic that Gloucestershire have lost nine out of 11 and the other two games have been victories over Derbyshire is a stat you couldn’t make up
DeleteI've been a supporter of Mickey, believing that his approach would eventually bring some success in one of the competitions. I've stuck to this position even after too many poor performances over the last five seasons. However, after the Gloucestershire thumping, following the Durham thumping, I've come to the realisation that things are not going to improve under Mickey.
ReplyDeleteI'm at a loss to explain how we throw away games so often, and display little fighting spirit. I've said before, there is a lack of a winning mentality in the team, especially when it comes to batting and run chasing. Mickey has often talked about playing aggressive and exciting cricket. Sadly, we've seen little of that during his time as head coach.
Looking at our progress since Dave Houghton's departure, there has been very little.
Aitchison and Donald will probably attract interest from other counties, given their recent form, and might follow Critchley, du Plooy, Scrimshaw, and Conners in seeking a county where they are more likely to win something.
As you say, Steve, why can't we emulate other smaller counties who punch above their weight?
Mickey talks a good game when he gives interviews, but what he says he often light years away from performances on the pitch. In all competitions this season, we have won just nine games and lost 18. Mickey might be economical with the truth when discussing the team's performances, but the stats don't lie.
You know, I can accept getting beaten by Durham. Look what they did to Northamptonshire yesterday. But to lose twice to this side, alongside other dreadful losses this summer, suggests too much is wrong to expect improvement.
DeleteIf you have played all of your cards and still not found a winning hand in 5 years, there has to be an acceptance that maybe you're just a lousy card player..
After almost 20 years of fantastic service at Derbyshire I think time has finally caught up with Wayne Madsen, as it does with all of us eventually. So, I think it's time for him to retire before he tarnishes his career. He's been a brilliant servant to the club and he should go with his head held high. Unlike MA, who had been a disaster and has to go before the supporters turn their back on the club.
ReplyDeleteMichael
Good shout Michael! He's carried us for years now. Those shoulders need a well deserved rest
ReplyDeleteAndy
Chapel Guy
ReplyDeleteA brilliant summary , Steve. You have skilfully summarised what we all think. This match was a disaster in a season that has been shocking. Gloucestershire wicket keeper scores 217 runs. Our wicket keeper scores a pair. Gloucester are allowed to recover from the depths of 37-5 in their first innings. We manage to reach 204 - 2 then collapse to 278 all out. A part time Glos spinner takes 6 wickets and we play him as if he is Shane Warne in his pomp. Then in Glos second innings our two spinners, including our international player, take combined figures of 2-185. And Bracey, dropped on 5, goes on to reach another century.
Our second innings was like watching men against boys. Suddenly a shirt front pitch became a ploughed field, according to the way our batters performed. In the blink of an eye we were 41-6. Only two players and extras reached double figures. Indian spinner Kishore took 5-20 in 18 overs and Price grabbed another 3. We mounted a partial recovery but by now the result was not in doubt
Something is very wrong at Derbyshire. Comprehensively beaten by a side who had suffered six consecutive defeats, demoralised and generally inept. The man at the top must go NOW. In five seasons he has achieved virtually nothing yet he keeps having his contract renewed.
I intend taking the long trek to Derby on Tuesday to watch us play Kent. I'm not a masochist but I can't believe we can get any worse. And my son is coming with me and he is a Kent fan.
I have been in give Mickey Arthur next season with a fit bowling attack camp but after yesterday I do not know what to think and now more 50/50.
ReplyDeleteIn the "for MA" side he wasn’t the one who was in the middle playing the shots (or no shots in some cases) but yesterday something did not look right. Watching in the morning you got the feeling how the day was going to go. Has he lost the dressing room ?
The point where we bowled around 9 overs in an hour just before the declaration was so embarressing to watch. It was a good job we had bowled the spinners earlier otherwise we would have had a points deduction.
Also strange that there are no after match videos/comments available as yet which suggests there may be a unhappy/split dressing room.
Going forward there have usually been announcements about incomings/outgoings for next season or contract renewals by now (even Wayne). I wonder with the last home game of the season this coming week I wonder if there may be developments this week.
It was clear in the field, David, that morale is low. So to some extent the batting display was less of a surprise. But we had our best bowler, Mickey's choice of overseas bowler and two young spinners who he claims are the best in the country, in our attack.
DeleteWe aren't really missing anyone in the batting lineup, apart from an overseas player who underachieved. So he can't really use the excuse of missing players on this occasion.
Sometimes a manager/coach can be at a club or team for so long that the message does not have the same effect as it did the first time. When this happens something usually need to be changed. (Can be refreshing players which is much harder in Cricket than Football or changing Coaching Staff)
DeleteMy initial reluctance for change is that I dread hearing the phrase "5 year plan" or something similar.
As a club we have become over reliant on a batsman who is now 41 (Madsen) and an all rounder who is 36 (Reece).
How any fan can believe Mickey deserves more time is beyond me. Grant from Telford
DeleteThere was a lot to like about one of the sides that played in this game.
ReplyDeleteGood coach. Homegrown spine who stood up and scored tons when it mattered. Clutch of promising academy players. Gun overseas bowler performing when it mattered.
Sadly none of these statements reflect Derbyshire. And lets not forget that Gloucestershire have had the cream of their young bowlers plundered with T.Price, Goodman, Bailey, Akhtar and Singh all leaving in the Summer. Yet they still blow through us twice with ease.
I wasn't actually angry at yesterday's result. All I could muster was apathy because it wasn't a surprise at all.
I agree with you Steve that there isn't much wrong with the players. We just have a head coach who has proved now that he generally makes players worse not better. This is now well proven.
I am pleased for Bin Naeem with an impressive 50. But lets not forget Wagstaff scored two excellent 50s in his debut season before MA bundled his development over following years.
As a Gloucestershire fan, I can only assure you that I very much wish your words had been true all summer. Apart from our games against Derby, we have been truly woeful, with ball (not unexpectedly) but also with the bat.
DeleteLook, I read this blog because I respect Peakfan and we all, ultimately, love cricket, yes? We follow our teams knowing they won't win as often as Surrey or those thieves at Notts but because they're OUR teams and we always support them. And we support other teams because we want cricket to survive and we don't want nonsense like the Hundred franchises to take over.
So can I offer some words of comfort? You had a few bad games this season. We've had two that weren't absolutely awful (bad luck for you guys they were both against you). Your coach is struggling. Well, ours looked so woebegone at Cheltenham I seriously considered going across and giving him a hug. Your players have not been great, for the most part. I think the only Glos players this season who can say honestly they've had a decent time are Williams and Bracey.
So yes, I feel your pain, but do remember you're not alone.
And here is to next season and the dream of both of us beating Surrey in the fairly unlikely event they get sanctioned over that dreadful pitch. If Derbyshire are at the Oval I'll be cheering you on!
Thank you for your kind, thoughtful and considerate words! I also appreciate your support, from afar.
DeleteDo continue to get involved, as and when you feel like doing so
There was a moment yesterday, whilst Martin Andersson and Brett Randell were at the crease, that I thought maybe, just maybe, we can escape from this with a draw. But then I realised no, I actually don’t want my own team to come out of this with a draw, and I have never felt like that before. I’m not usually the traitorous thought, but I knew that if we somehow salvaged something from this debacle that our Head of Cricket would be there, talking up the positives of saving the game. There were no positives, even with a draw, as far as I could see. As it was, the thought was brief with another wicket falling as we continued to make Gloucestershire’s spinners look like world beaters and the loss became ever more inevitable.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many questions, many of which you have raised, Steve. I find it almost unfathomable how our spinners managed two wickets in Gloucestershire’s second innings yet their spinners ran through our batting line up like a dose of salts. This is the third game in a row with a batting collapse. Where is the resilience? The fight? The ability to bat for more than a couple of hours collectively as a side, never mind as an individual?
Surely the club cannot tolerate another two years of this? I dread to think what the damage could be by then.
Brilliant assessment Peakfan I agree with every word.Why do we never hear from the players to get their side and see how they feel.Brooke Guest would be a good start.Top batsman but messed about somewhat.I agree with you he should be in at 3 where he's comfortable.The Gloucester wicketkeeper scores 2 centuries and Brooke gets 2 ducks batting at 7!!Barmy!Wayne has been a fantastic servant for this club over the years but he has found it tough this season and being skipper probably doesn't help.Like you ssaid we need tough leadership to whip these players in to shape and nice guy Wayne isn't that man Topapinner.
ReplyDeleteBeen following the blog for years you have written some decent stuff mate in your time and always and I mean always been more than fair
ReplyDeleteThat has got to be your best piece ever not because of the words but I know like me and the rest of us how much you love DCCC. When you put everything in the mix the opposition the pitch the position we were at in the first innings it’s probably the must disgusting performance I have ever known
I don’t mind us losing I support a small county that I can always live with but not desire heart and the will to be the best you can be
It’s shameful shocking and disrespectful to perform like that as professional sportsman
I’m so so angry and that’s after a good nights sleep
Enough is enough
John Chesterfield
Thank you for your kind words, John. It is very hard being a Derbyshire supporter right now, eh?
DeleteIn his first season in charge MA got the team to perform better than the sum of the parts. Yesterday was yet another example of the team now performing well below the sum of their collective talents. I cannot believe that there is any doubt that the club will be better off next year without MA in charge. It is not even a contentious decision to take.
ReplyDeleteFWIW I am not renewing my membership if he is still there, but will if he is gone. We cannot move forward as a club while he is still around.
MarkB
I have lived by the maxim - 'Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence'. So I have often refrained from commenting as the county I have supported for over 50 years [I am 61 tomorrow] lurches from one poor result to another - in all forms - under the leadership of MA these past 5 years. I cringe at each of his interviews and his legendary 'contacts' are like my little black book of the 1980s - long past its sell by date. If he had any decency he would resign and accept that coaching a county side is very different from the skill set required for a test nation.
ReplyDelete[I have David Bowie's track 'Five Years' playing in my head now!]
PJS
PJS
Great song 👍 Grant from Telford
DeleteI do hope you are encouraged to contribute further, PJS. A good and measured comment..
DeleteBrilliant and measured assessment of the situation Peakfan.
ReplyDeleteGood idea to leave it a day. Gives us all the opportunity to delete the expletives!
The strange thing about yesterday is that it went exactly as I expected.
I see this as a cry for help from the players. "Get rid of MA now."
These are not all bad players but they have lost heart .
This game was a draw all over and would have been with any other team playing.
I doubt if Gloucestershire thought that their declaration was anything other than an opportunity for bowling practice. They must be delighted and incredulous to have won.
Now is the time regardless of cost for someone at the club to do the right thing and ask MA to leave.
The wins against Northants, Middlesex and Lancashire show the squad can do it. But, if a few cogs are missing, we seem lost. Reece and Chappell are big losses, no doubt. Haydon looked great, before injury. But Reece is 36, Madsen almost mid 40's. Therein lies a problem. The 2 best red ball players of the recent post are old, in sporting terms. The batting in general has gone backwards, Dal and Guest being cases in point. MA isn't to blame for everything, but this game was a big low point. Kris
ReplyDeleteThere's no way the team can lose to Gloucestershire twice and keep things the way they are. There's no way back from this now.
ReplyDeleteYou would think so, Rob...
DeleteSadly, the usual feeling of disbelief and anger has been replaced with resignation and disinterest. Even at 37-5 and 200-2 we knew Derbyshire would lose because it is in the DNA of the club from the top down.
ReplyDeleteI'm retiring next year and was seriously considering becoming a member to while away some enjoyable days at the cricket. It definitely won't be happening if MA is still in charge, I'll keep my hard earned in my pocket and I suspect many others will do the same. Financially it may be a push for the board to pay him off (I don't think for a minute he'll go of his own valition) but it's a move the board simply have to take as the number of membership non renewals will force their hand. We are no better than a minor county team now at a time when the powers that be are still looking at cutting the number of first class counties. More troubling times ahead sadly but most of the problems are self inflicted I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteIt is the members and also the sponsors, Dave. I'm not sure if I had a business that I would want to be involved with what has been a substandard offer this year...
DeleteAs always, a sane and sober analysis. This is a terrible low, but without the quality of recruitment that can only come after changes at the top, I fear it isn't yet rock bottom. God knows what that dressing room must be like, and what kind of looks are being exchanged and conversations had in there, and throughout the game about our club. God knows what must be going through Bin Naeem's head as he listens to them.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I should have signed that baleful jeremiad, I published before selecting the option. Played and missed.
ReplyDeleteA well-judged analysis as always Steve. There’s not much left to be said. The club is in a hole and there seems to be only one way out as Mickey doesn’t appear likely to fall on his sword. The club has to bite the bullet and pull the plug I feel. The squad is talented, and certainly no weaker on paper than Gloucestershire or Northants for example. It is the sum of the parts that is the problem, which is down to the coach.
ReplyDeleteOf the batters, only Andersson and Reece are doing better than their career average. The rest are doing worse, and some much worse. We have had issues with bowling injuries and have largely been carried by Aitchison and, when available, Haydon. Abbas has been a disaster. In my view it would be be beneficial from a sporting point of view for MA to go at the end of the season, whatever it costs, and for us to try to compensate financially by not recruiting (very ordinary) overseas across all competitions. The results can’t get too much worse.
For 2027, we need someone to re-energise the dressing room and manage the players in a sensitive "modern" way. Without that, I do fear for the future.
Adrian, Nice
Considered, thoghht-provoking comments from Steve and everyone else here. What makes me sad is that of the XI, you can't see maybe more than four being professional cricketers in, say, two years' time. And you can't see any of those staying at Derbyshire. Dave.
ReplyDeleteAn excellent, well thought through and considered article Peakfan. I am sure the numerous comments it has provoked represent the majority of Derbyshire Members and supporters views. We are still awaiting news of the Emergency Board Meeting you suggest. It won’t happen though this Board is irresolute, when it is clear what is needed for us long suffering and loyal supporters.
ReplyDeleteAnother really good article.
ReplyDeleteI’ve always stuck with MA on this blog. He’s certainly had a bad hand when it comes to injuries within his bowling unit and overseas players, I do think on reflection the wheels have slowly been coming off since his absence at Old Trafford for his daughter’s wedding. We never really seemed to fully recover from that game mentally.’
As you said, without naming names, there are players who are very fortunate to still be playing county cricket given what they’re producing. In any other sport Mickey would go.
So where do we go from here?
I really think the cricket board need to have an urgent meeting with Mickey Arthur and make it clear that their backing comes with a youth policy for 2027. I’d like to see a requirement for five players under 25 in the team. Mickey still has a contract, which gives him some security, but I do feel his position and authority are slowly slipping.
I wouldn’t necessarily want to get rid of him, but I would force his hand to move more firmly in the direction of youth. Stewart, for example, should surely be given a proper run in the side. I don’t agree he another year. Haydon only got his chance by events that lead us to him being selected.
I can still see positives in having Mickey at the table. His name and experience will still be a draw for players in the future, and with the budget likely to be very tight and little room to manoeuvre until the end of 2027, perhaps this is actually an opportunity for Derbyshire to shift direction this time where board take control of situation.
It could be the start of something different — give the younger players a chance, build for the future, and hopefully create a team we can all get behind again.
Sorry Gary, do you seriously believe MA would accept selecting 5 players under 25 every week in the first team? The only time he has picked youth is when injuries or players getting called up for other comps has forced his hand. More chance of myself strapping the pads back on!!
DeleteA laudable idea, Gary but outside of Naeem, Stewart, Haydon and Potts, our best prospects are between under 14 and under 17. They will likely be fine cricketers but likely not first team ready for 2-3 years. You only need a couple of injuries in the first four to struggle to meet the quota...
DeletePlease justify why you think he should stay other than he's a big name who may attract players (which hasn't worked so far....), so you think that will magically start happening when it hasn't for 5 years?
Deletehave results or performances improved in 5 years or have they got worse? Has he developed any players? Have some got worse? We all the know the answers yet he's on big wages relatively.
Extraordinary anyone can still think he's the best person for the job.
Essex fan
While I accept that a name might draw someone to a club, a reputation does even more and that can both work for you and against you.
DeletePeople playing for a club will want to have a chance of promotion, of silverware and of enjoying themselves . All for the right salary, of course!
Eddie B - I'd suggest that the board are in a place now where they have an absolute professional responsibility to meet, discuss MA's position and make a decision on it. Then, come out and justify to us why they have acted as they have.
ReplyDeleteThey must own this and deal with it, and soon. The decision is not just about the cricket now, we're into the territory of risk to the club's organisational reputation.
Such a pity, but here we are.
Andy
Agreed Andy... My concern is sponsorship. Who wants to be involved with a substandard product?
DeleteI know you mused at the start of the season how long you’d continue blogging for, but at times like this it’s such an invaluable resource for fans to gather around (and yes I know that would be much more fun for all of us if we were commenting on silverware and thumping victories etc).
ReplyDeleteI know throwing in the kids in isn’t risk free, not least for their own development. But look at Bin Naeem, after his first innings knock it was the sort of thing we’ll were all looking for in a gloomy (in every sense) September. Sussex had a first XI that could have been sponsored by Mothercare a few seasons ago, and look at them now.
And the thing is….it really can’t get any worse than yesterday. And what’s really sobering for me is, remember 2020 with the thrilling win against Notts? When we were credible options at one point to qualify for the Bob Willis Trophy final? I know we can point to the oddities of that season in so many ways but we had spirit then.
Of all the things we could say about our performance yesterday….spirited wouldn't exactly be near the top of the list.
Really appreciate the comments here, of a very high and considered standard. It shows the depth of feeling and concern among the family base, for sure...
ReplyDeleteAlso appreciate your kind words, thank you!
Reading the comments on here I think only one person is advocating keeping MA but the majority feel that change is vital. Some reservations about the cost but I don't see we can afford not to.
ReplyDeleteMembership must be down for 2027. As.someone else said I believe most members would be more inclined to renew if we stated we were going without an overseas for next year to help pay for it. Promote Daryn Smit from within for two years.
Sadly I believe the powers that be will sit on their hands and put their fingers in their ears and we will stagnate further.
We have a significant cash balance at the last balance sheet date so let's not fall further behind our small county peers.
I agree with you on the way forward, Neil. Smit would be my choice to take the county on. He is the right man for a number of reasons...
DeleteI spent 3 days at Bristol and the only positive I can take is that the Cross-country service worked to plan .Seriously though our squad is so fragile in temperament and just cannot play the big session or convert a situation when in the ascendancy .It has happened so many times this season in all formats .I agree that we have been unlucky with injuries but our core group of players should be more competitive.I also feel our young player development has been accidental rather than planned ( Hayden and Bin Naeem linked to overseas departures )
ReplyDelete5 years in and time for a new voice on and off the pitch .
Wayne Madsen owes us nothing and is only our skipper because du Plooy and Lloyd walked away .
Mickey used to say judge me on my team ,well here we are .
In recent years Worcester , Sussex ,Gloucester,Leicester ,Glamorgan , Northants have all had domestic success ,we have been nowhere near that benchmark .
The Board have to act now and do the right thing for the County’s immediate and ongoing future.
PF an excellent summary btw …
Enough is enough Mickey Arthur and the coaching staff do the honourable thing and walk, or if not please terminate the contracts. Gutless and pathetic the list is endless
ReplyDeleteGreat & considered summary,Steve,perhaps almost too loyal,but understanding. I sometimes think Derbyshire are always too fair,lacking that ruthfulness & hard to beat mentality.Despite MA's CV he lacks the real grit mentality,awareness & recognition to bring about that superioity & domination at this level,where the game is not about prowess,but team building,bonding,horses for courses & not afraid to try different modes of play,which we're sadly not seeing.
ReplyDeleteFor me we need a leader,of a younger breed,played the game at the highest level,respected by players & capable of turning the tables,someone in the ilk of Chris Woakes,presently coachng England Lions & Barr Beacon School,West Midlands... Mac
That's a decent shout, Mac. I don't think he gets cricketers at this level and that is the crux of the issue
DeleteVery well written article peakfan. I don’t really like the football type expression he’s lost the dressing room but I think it definitely applies in MA s case. The players couldn’t make it more obvious unless the players actually locked themselves in the dressing room and refused to come out for the match( which might not be a bad idea) if Derbyshire had 20000 fans I would still be amazed if even one of them thought things could get better with a clown in charge
ReplyDeleteI wanted to start by congratulating you, Peakfan, on the culture you’ve created on your blog. The responses to this are first class and - as much as you can sense the unhappiness and anger - are incredibly measured and fair posts, in light of the current situation. The sad facts are that Gloucestershire have lost every game apart from two, which they’ve won and they were both against Derbyshire. I can’t help but think that the performance we’ve just seen would surely be that of a team who don’t want to perform for their boss. I don’t know how either the board or the head coach can feel his position is anything other than untenable.
ReplyDeleteIf the squad is destined to stay largely untouched next season, the coach stays in position and the cricket is much the same, then memberships numbers will drop even further and funds for squad development in the winter of 27 will be even more limited. The cost of removing him - I don’t seem him stepping away voluntarily - may be large but the cost of not doing so could be catastrophic. Living further away than some and with family and career commitments, I have been unable to attend this year but, more worryingly, haven’t felt the desire to attend either, even allowing for the fact I might not see Wayne Madsen play live again.
Things must change.
Chris in Shropshire.
I agree with your comments, Chris. Although the reality is that the funds from membership income probably only pay for three players. But the atmosphere will decline and that is a major issue after all the work that has gone on at the ground
DeleteAnd how do you convince sponsors to stay involved, for an inferior product?
Reading the comments on here today reminds me of the ‘Four Yorkshiremen’ sketch. But I’ll try to go one better.
ReplyDeleteI think the state of the club may be even worse than what has been said. Anderson has generally had a good season, but not in the Championship. After scoring 228 and 54 in his first two innings, he has scored 339 runs in his other 16 innings, at an average of 22.6. His figures in these games are very similar to Caleb Jewell's.
Another player who is often given plaudits is Luis Reece, but notwithstanding his family problems, he hardly ever plays. While he has a good batting and bowling average, in comparison with some of Derbyshire's all-rounders from the past, this is not backed up by a sheer weight of runs and wickets.
Madsen started the season well but has struggled of late. Might it be the case that comments about his demise are unfair? He came back a lot quicker from his injury than expected and may just be in need of a rest. I hope he stays for at least another season.
Personally, I think Aitchison is the only player in the Championship who can be said to have had a really good season, although Haydon has shown much promise.
Mohammad Abbas may be one of the worst overseas signings Derbyshire have ever made in terms of what he was expected to bring to the club. While I think some of the criticism directed at MA concerning player development is unfair, the overseas signings he has made have generally been very poor.
When Derbyshire signed Mohammad Abbas, did they have any idea he would likely be selected for so many Test matches? If so, how could he have possibly been expected to put everything into his performances for the club and risk missing out on playing Test matches due to an injury?
You only have to watch pre-season friendly football games to know that sportsmen hold back from playing wholeheartedly in lesser games.
Finishing on a positive note: hopefully next season, the team will up their game and do better.
Dre.
Hi Dre, just to answer your question, Derbyshire knew he was likely to be involved in the tour of England, but had no idea about the other tours which were added in subsequently. It is a challenge in dealing with that part of the world, when tours are often added in at short notice
DeleteThe tours were not added in subsequently, though. They had been in the FTP since 2022, all three of them, if Derbyshire had cared to look. Actually, relatively few international tours are added at short notice, particularly ones of longer than a week or so--that's what the FTP is intended for, and on that level it works fairly much as it's supposed to.
DeleteAs I've said earlier, it was pretty obvious that Abbas was at least going to be considered for the England tour, which covered most of the matches he missed. Although the WI tour only covered the One-Day Cup, once it was clear that he would be considered for the England tour, it was also very likely that he would be considered for the WI leg, since they were effectively one tour.
So the only tour which SHOULD have blindsided an organisation that had its finger on the pulse was the Bangladesh tour, which accounted for three county games.
Dave
To be honest Dave, he wasn't in the frame under the old administration. Nor has he played much one day cricket, anywhere. So while it was always possibility, I guess, it was more that than 'likely'.
DeleteHugely disappointing though. In all aspects
A little bit of positive news (admittedly for a Notts side!) but our young leg spinner Tommy Bush picked up two wickets winning the Village Cup Final at Lord's today.
ReplyDeleteA little bit of sunshine! Thanks for letting us know. Tim...
DeleteLet's sign Du Plooy as overseas - he averages nearly 50 and loves Derbyshire
ReplyDeleteI think Middlesex would probably have first call on him, assuming he wants to play. I have always wondered if he left Derbyshire because of a conflict with the HOC, even though the words on his departure were amicable.
DeleteMiddlesex have announced he is leaving - doesn-t suggest open to a return. In contrast, Leus' words - and filmed interview - leaving Derbyshire were unusually amicable, so I don't see that as a problem. Though, like many of us, he might not be enamoured with the Head Coach, for performance reasons if nothing else. Another reason why Mickey must go.
DeleteI posted earlier today, saying I had supported Mickey, but now believed he can't do the job. I also meant to say that I believe he joined the club wanting to create a successful team. I don't doubt his commitment, or his passion, but, for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out.
ReplyDeleteI can understand the social media comments and I bet most said it in the heat of the moment, however what I would say is there is no excuse now that the club think the supporters are wrong!
ReplyDeleteI would also add if the club really wanted to back Arthur they should have done so publicly today.
You said if it was you, you would walk, I am afraid Arthur is nothing like you, due to his arrogance and failure to admit he his at fault he will wait till he is sacked and then he will take every penny he believes he his owed, because he knows this will be his last job! I wouldn't be surprised if he walked and didn't get what he was entitled to he would take the club to an employment tribunal. That is the calibre of the man.
That leads on to the question can we afford to sack him? Now I know people will rightly say can we afford to keep him! I wouldn't be surprised to sack him and get a replacement would cost in the region of £3/400,000.00, also we need to take into account the possible reduction of the players budget next year.
Someone has criticised Maddo, I think this is totally unfair, I saw Maddo outside the Gateway on the third day as I was heading home, and he looked forlorn and suddenly old. Maddo took the captaincy on because there was no one else, I don't think he wanted it but gave his all. The problem is that we don't have a leader on the field, nor in the dressing room.
If Arthur thinks he is a leader rather than just a coach, then I would compare him with the leaders of the Commando Sumpero.
I will go next week, 1) to spend times with my cricket mates for the last time this season, and 2) to say a heartfelt good bye to Maddo as he won't be here next year, and who could blame him for retiring.
feel so sorry for him that is derbyshire career has had to end this way.
Martin
We don't yet know Wayne's plans for 2027, but recent events may make him think about joining his family in South Africa. As things stand, next year is going to be hard, for everyone
DeleteI think watching Nye Donald bat in T20 has been worth my admission fee, for the last 2 years. As a county, we probably won't win a great deal, but not many clubs do. I think the internet has fed the frenzy. I thought we'd win 2 championship games this season and we've won 3. Is it brilliant? No. If you are expecting anything different, maybe this isn't the club for you. Kris
ReplyDeleteI expect fight, not capitulation, Kris. Over 60 years I have seen poor sides, as many others who follow this blog have done. Some displays this summer have been unacceptably poor and they keep on coming
DeleteIf we are to accept three wins a season as the norm, maybe they should turn the County Ground into a shopping mall and pack it in. We have to aspire to better than that. Similar clubs have turned it around, so why can't we?
Absolute nonsense Kris or is it Mickey?. Is that your hope for Derbyshire every season then to win a couple of matches and capitulate in the rest, if so it's a poor outlook. We've regressed at an alarming rate under a supposed top coach and minor counties would now give us a good game. It's utter rubbish!
DeleteAnd isn't that the core of the issue? Winning two champo games is a bare minimum expectation and it's not wholly about the winning. It's about wanting to see a team battle, have some grit and play, well, as a team, regularly. We're miles off it.
ReplyDeleteWe used to be a cricket club with a commercial side attached. Now, I'm not so sure. Christmas is on the way and the off field team will be showing off their abilities that puts the stuff on the green bit into the shade.
Success and our attitude on the field needs to be the dominating health factor of our business. Limping along, if even our patient is that well and capable, is a recipe for disaster long term.
I saw some of Wayne's post match presser yesterday. When he's struggling to verbalise how he feels and how poor we are, that says it all, but at least he fronted up.
His efforts deserved better over the years, as do the dwindling numbers of members and supporters. We have failed to provide him with an effective support over the years and have relied on him far too often every season. That is a huge failure in and of itself.
Apart from that - have a great week folks. I'm hoping to be down there on Friday if the weather holds
Andy
Fingers crossed the game lasts that long, Andy. But as always, your comments are sound. The name on the door says cricket and that is where we are falling down...
DeleteThanks Peak Fan for your well considered comments and thanks to everyone for confirming that I am not the only one who finds much of this season unacceptable. The delusional attitude of the Cricket committee at the most recent forum does not inspire confidence that they will take the necessary action to end Mickey Arthur’s tenure. Ollie
ReplyDeleteMA's position should be untenable, it's been nothing but regression season after season under his leadership. He needs to start reading the room and listen to the fed up supporters who will be stopping their memberships in numbers. What are we down to now in numbers, a couple of thousand, or is that way too high, whatever it will dwindled even more next season. MA out!
ReplyDeleteI believe the membership has grown slightly in recent seasons to a figure circa 1100. It will be a hard sell trying to persuade more than 900 to come and view the newly relaid outfield and recently purchased floodlights.
DeleteI believe we currently have 700 members. Many will not renew and who can blame them ? Food for thought Mr Duckett ??
DeleteAnd I saw this morning that next season it will be £239 for membership but this excludes home T20 games. It is £279 if you want your membership to include those too. Not entirely sure how they will justify the increase of £60 compared with what we payed as renewing existing members for 2026.
DeleteMaybe wayne could be the man to make himself an all time hero and send mickey arthur packing down the road on behalf of us all. Stan. Tideswell
DeleteRe my previous comment about membership prices, I’ve just had an email from the club saying that prices for members are frozen at £219 for Championship and One-Day membership and that to add on T20 games will be an extra £20, so I suppose £239 isn’t quite as bad!
DeleteI believe any increase is an absolute insult. The club is dying and I predict membership to drop below 500. I don't know many who are renewing.
DeleteI think the 59 comments so far show how annoyed the Derbyshire supporters are, can't remember many matches with as many comments
ReplyDeleteThinking back the first season went much better than expected but the cracks seemed to start appearing when MA started job sharing with Pakistan.
ReplyDeleteAgreed David. While I have been able to see some benefits to his working elsewhere - player recruitment, for example - with the benefit of hindsight we should perhaps have wished him well at that point...
DeleteGiven the sparse attendances at red ball matches, I do wonder just how much weight the views of the membership carry, in reality.
ReplyDeleteIs it a case that they club can simply refuse to listen as the potential financial cost to the business doesn't resonate in hard cash terms?
Just thinking out loud
Andy
Derbyshire made a comment on their website on 24th August that Caleb Jewell was returning to Australia after the Middlesex game together with a number of his compatriots to prepare for the Australian season. However a number of his compatriots did not return at the same time. Bancroft, Harris, Hughes, McSweeney and Whiteman all played in the latest round of matches last week following the Middlesex game. Very confusing and strange.
ReplyDeleteVery good point. It does make you wonder along with the performances of most of the team how bad things really are at the club and how keen or possibly not so are some of the players to actually play at the moment
DeleteNot wanting this to be conspiracy theory central, Caleb was recalled by Cricket Tasmania, not the ACB. That's the only reason he went back and they didn't.
DeleteThanks for the clarification Peakfan.
DeleteAndersson is our top scorer in the cc (621) and nobody averages over 40. Not only is that not good enough, it's a mile from it. Harry Came and Brooke Guests are shadows of their former selves. It's time for a shake up. Change the coach, change the staff.
ReplyDeleteAny organisation has to review its performance at the end of the year. If Derbyshire can look at this seasons results - AND performances - and feel they justify retaining the status quo, I would be astonished. By the same token, they have backed themselves into a corner with this extra 2 years...
DeleteSo the latest membership roll in the Derbyshire accounts was 901 at the end of 2025 down from 1,036 in 2024, a drop of 13% following a drop of 10% from 2023. An average revenue per member of exactly £200. Membership comprised only 2.7% of our total turnover in 2025 so perhaps the club aren't too fussed about losing more of us from 2026 to 2027. Perhaps to them we have become simply customers and not blindly loyal supporters. However, that drop from 2023 members to 2025 members equates to £50k. I have seen no-one on here asking for the earth, just to be competitive in 2 of the three competitions on a reasonably regular basis. Not silverware, not titles necessarily, just some respect and being competitive.
ReplyDeleteAnd all for as little as £219. You really cannot please everyone i guess or should i say anyone at the moment. If you continue to want a say and continue to want a cricket club in its current format as a members club you have a choice. Remember its not just a season ticket to watch the games like football. There is a recent article on The Cricketers website by George Dobell around demutualisation. Very interesting piece and a thought for everyone
DeleteThe management board have been treating members as nothing more than paying customers for years now , while the club continues to attract decent numbers at The Blast nothing will change, from what I’ve been told storm clouds are gathering once the current broadcast deal expires
DeleteI can't address you by name as you posted anonymously but I could ask are you pleased at the moment? Do we need to pay more to get a competitve team?
DeleteI would also question whether we really have a say in how the cricket club operates. Phil Tooley submitted this written question at the AGM in March 2025 - “Where does the main culpability lie regarding the County's diminishing performances over the last 3 years?" The response was a closing of the ranks and this response from the director in charge of HR "that the players hold Mickey in very high regard and numerous players have said that he is the best coach they have ever worked under"
I guess we would receive the same response even now. Treat 'em like mushrooms etc etc
Sorry Neil did not add my name. Like all members i am not happy with team performances currently but i have seen much worse over 50 years and can only hope the correct decisions will be made as required to turn things round but also an extra £20 on memberships is not going to make much difference to the competitive nature of the team in the short term. If we are honest the membership revenue generated only pays for 3 players salaries at best and we are heavily reliant on the ECB annual pay out which is over 50% of our income. The point i was trying to raise about membership is that the lower the number becomes the more vulnerable the constitution and governance of the club becomes as a members club. As a member you have all the power to make changes and you can do so within the current rules of the club. Not just as a financial position but the number of members we have is just as important. If we were ever to be demutualised like is being discussed at Yorkshire then all of that goes...Jason
DeleteJason We must be similar ages as I made my Derbyshire debut in 1973 and spent many 3rd sessions after school at Queen's Park with Eddie Barlow. In that time I'm not sure I have seen anything "much" worse on the pitch to be fair. You make some good points about the threat of demutualisation. I will make a point of reading my Cricketer this month. We only have a say if we are listened to by the powers that be. Neil
DeleteI think that is it. Neil. There are those who are happy just to watch cricket. But a lot of people want to watch their side being competitive. That is a frustrating thing this year, the capitulations.
DeleteFor what it's worth, I think the membership is good value. But I do understand people deciding not to if defeat follows defeat and there is no evidence of a willingness to battle
To add insult to injury, the club are raising season ticket prices for next season to £276.00, an increase of 26%. Not likely to endear themselves to many fans who are wondering why MA's contract has been extended for another 2 years. I can foresee member numbers dropping considerably.
ReplyDeleteRe above. About an hour after I posted the above, received an email from the club to say the early bird renewal was being frozen at the same price as last year, £219, but we have to pay an extra £20.00 for the T20 matches. So it's a bit cheeky to say the price has been frozen when paying an extra 9% for the level of membership.
ReplyDeleteAn extra £20 ! 50p a day. The 2 levels have been put in place after some members requested a CC and ODC membership as they do not attend T20 So yes its a £20 increase it is but that is for 6 t20 games vs the base price.£239 is still very competitive despite current form and a membership does offer a lot more than just 38 days cricket...Jason
DeleteYes i was pretty incensed at first, perhaps the club should have told the members first about the reduced rate by email rather than putting it up on the website first.
DeleteThe thing from the email which really gets my blood up is the statement 'it's about family, friendship.....It's the celebrations in victory and the DEBRIEF IN DEFEAT' - unbelievable Jeff.
There has been a lot of debriefing this year...
Delete