I last looked at contracts around the country in July last year and to be honest there aren't many who are available this year and would be a huge enhancement on our squad. I will try and find, or put together a list for 2027, which may be a year when squad overhauls look more feasible.
The current Derbyshire situation is as follows:
Expiring 2026 2027
Wayne Madsen. Harry Came.
Yusuf Bin Naeem Luis Reece
Caleb Jewell. Amrit Basra
Mitch Wagstaff. Shoaib Bashir
Ross Whiteley. Ben Aitchison
Joe Hawkins. Harry Moore
Anuj Dal. Mo Abbas
Pat Brown Brooke Guest
2028
Matthew Montgomery
Martin Andersson
Zak Chappell
Jack Morley
Nick Potts
Nye Donald
Rory Haydon
Everyone will have different opinions on the retentions for next year. I expect Caleb Jewell to go, while the Cricketer recently reported that Pat Brown has signed a new one--year deal, though yet to be announced by the club. Madsen, Whiteley and Dal will likely have been offered an extra year each, but their being around in 2027 will depend on how realistic their agents are with salary demands and I would be surprised if any were at the club in 2028.
Being honest, I wouldn't retain Ross and only a lack of alternatives may save him. I would also question Nuj, unless he has a good end of season, while 2027 will probably see the end of Wayne Madsen, unless the lure of joining his family in South Africa sees him go sooner.
As for the young players, I would be surprised if Naeem wasn't offered new terms, after a good summer in the second team, but I could see both Hawkins and Wagstaff go either way, based on a more challenging year and lack of opportunity respectively.
What do you think?
One thing is for sure - 2027 is a BIG season for a lot of players...
I’m probably in a minority but IMO it’s time Derbyshire shook hands with Wayne Madsen and moved on that goes for Mikey as well
ReplyDeleteOf the 2026 List. I would have thought we would have heard by now if Wayne wasn't going to be back next season. I think missing pre season with his injury has hindered him at times this season.
ReplyDeleteWith Anuj Dal it may depend on how much cricket they expect Harry Moore to play next season. Yusuf Bin Naeem has been around first team for most of the season so would expect an offer.
I would like Mitch Wagstaff to get a deal as he offers a bowling option and may have a role at 6 or 7 rather than opener but his lack of game time suggests he may be vulnerable.
I would expect Pat Brown to be offered a deal mainly due to lack of death bowler in white ball this season especially as commentators have said he has been bowling during intervals recently.
Joe Hawkins definately deserves another deal especially if we will be unable to afford Shoaib Bashir after next season. With Ross Whiteley it may come down to cost though I may be tempted to try Amrit Basra in the finishing role next season.
With overseas players it is such a dilemma what to do. It may depend on what division we end up in the Championship next season. If Caleb Jewell helps to get us promoted in the last few matches he would deserve to come back. If we remain in Division Two I would be tempted to save the money on another red ball overseas and give opportunities to the pathway and give the likes of Bin Naeem, Wagstaff, Basra a longer run in the side.
I feel pretty ambivalent about most of these names.
ReplyDeleteWhiteley offered little in the Blast, a few better knocks in the ODC don't paper over that for me.
Dal is injury prone and has not really threatened to hit the heights of a few seasons ago since.
Madsen is clearly creaking but perhaps still offers enough when you factor in his leadership for another year.
Jewell has been awful.
Brown was awful last season and been injured all of this.
The three young players we frankly don't know enough about after limited opportunities.
The scarcity of options elsewhere means I'm sure we'll probably extend Dal, Whiteley and Brown but further evidence of why taking a proper look at our own youth would have been advantageous.
Of the players out of contract in 2027 only Aitchison stands out as a priority to tie down.
It's quite sad to think how Guest and Dal at one point looked two of the best players in the division but over the last few seasons have been mediocre at best.
Guest mediocre? In what respect? I would let Ross and Brown go. Grant from Telford
DeleteGuest in the CC, runs @ average (100s + 50s):
Delete2021: 489 @ 26 (1+1)
2022: 923 @ 38 (4+2)
2023: 741 @ 35 (2+2)
2024: 638 @ 30 (0+5)
2025: 651 @ 36 (0+6)
2026: 363 @ 30 (1+1)
Maybe mediocre is harsh as the numbers suggest he's been solid and his keeping is sound but 1 ton in the last 3 seasons is very disappointing when he had 6 between 22 and 23 and looked set to go on and be a top keeper batsman who could regularly post serious scores.
I would like to see Wayne Madsen play on, just like Darren Stevens did at Kent. Hopefully, depending upon his circumstances, he will be fit enough to continue for a few more seasons.
ReplyDeleteCaleb Jewell's career appears to be in the balance, but overall, his time at the club has been successful. I therefore see no reason why his contract should not be extended for at least another year.
I would think it likely the club will want a couple of new players, which makes Whitley and Dal's places at the club vulnerable.
Dre.
I look at the list of players, and try to imagine who could realistically still be at the club in 5 years time. To be honest, that is a longer list than I thought it would be. For my money it includes:
ReplyDeleteDal
Came
Bashir
Aitchison
Moore
Guest
Montgomery
Andersson
Chappell
Morley
Potts
Donald
Haydon (I take it his omission from your contracts list is an oversight)
Whether any/all of Bin Naeem, Wagstaff and Basra join that list I am not sure. I think Wagstaff is unlikely, the other 2, possible.
To be honest that squad is unlikely to get more than mid table respectability in any competition, even when supplemented from overseas, and with cast offs from other Counties. But a squad that stays together for 3, 4 or 5 years, with stable captaincy from Came and Donald, has an opportunity to grow.
Who knows, in 2030 we could look back on this squad as the true legacy from the Arthurean era?
Thanks David. Yes, Rory was an oversight, nothing else!
Delete